+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so after 10 game's we are on 17pts and 5th in the league ,

so after 10 game's we are on 17pts and 5th in the league ,

Are we happy ? Well I'm feeling confident of meeting the 25pts by Xmas required to avoid scrapping about in the relegation zone this year !

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Are we happy ? Well I'm feeling confident of meeting the 25pts by Xmas required to avoid scrapping about in the relegation zone this year !
    To be honest Roma they are further in front at this stage than I thought they would be ,if you understand my drift , I predicted with my usual optimism a top 10 finish & currently they are on course & with Duff at the helm I believe long term we will continue to improve . At the beginning of the season there was huge criticism of our two main strikers Cole & Notwood but to be honest they are both doing the business & they are being helped by having the ammunition provided by a more than adequate midfield but we all know we are at least one if not two strikers light for if one of our main two get injured then we are struggling for options but under Duff it is clear that goals will come from other parts of the pitch which is evident by Bensons contributions , anyway I always think that after ten matches the league starts to take shape & even our most critical fans will find it hard to complain with our current progress .

Yes Im definitely happy with how things are going, at the moment.
    Id predicted just below mid table at first, about 14th, and recently Ive thought we can do better than that, and be in the top 10 maybe.
    If we can keep this going till January, when Duff apparently will get some players if he wants/needs them. It could be an exciting season for us after all. 😉

Acido , he needs the buggers now, not when half the season has passed.

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    Acido, he needs the buggers now, not when half the season has passed.
    I think we all know and agree with that Ethel.
    And it still disappoints me when I think of the refusal to or failure to, get at least one striker in on deadline day.
    We even tried to sign Hourihane again actually, and he turned us down I think. Who knows what difficulties we're up against these days when trying to sign players. Have we even earned a bad reputation now and does that put a lot of players off joining us!. 😟

The team's performances over ten games suggest they are likely to be in the group of the top eight or so in the Third Division at the end of the season.

I hope any success doesn't lead to any departures in January.

What has stood out for me in the Third Division is the general lack of clinical finishing by opponents when chances are created against us. Cambridge and Charlton are examples of this. In the Championship last season a mistake by us or a good chance created often led to a goal being scored against us. In the Third Division you can get away with it more often than not.

W5 D2 L3 A good start, 8 out of 10.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 25-09-2022 at 05:33 AM.

I watched FGR v Exeter City yesterday , although Exeter won 4-0 they didn't impress me , FGR look awful and look set for a quick return to Division 2 , some poor sides in this division on what I've seen so far , they all still have to be beaten though if we want to be around the Top half , it's usually our downfall when we play these Clog and Booit teams , a game today Plymouth v Ipswich (12-30 ) should give us more ideas about where we need to be regarding so called quality better teams and their player's ,
    Last edited by Romared; 25-09-2022 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    I watched FGR v Exeter City yesterday , although Exeter won 4-0 they didn't impress me , FGR look awful and look set for a quick return to Division 2 , some poor sides in this division on what I've seen so far , they all still have to be beaten though if we want to be around the Top half , it's usually our downfall when we play these Clog and Booit teams , a game today Plymouth v Ipswich (12-30 ) should give us more ideas about where we need to be regarding so called quality better teams and their player's ,
    Agree wi that. Poor standard really. As usual I'd expect the top 6/7 to break away from the rest once things settle darn. We should get in those play offs if the board don't screw us over and have a firesale in January

I think the team is frustrating to watch at the moment.
    Norwood mentioned it after the Charlton game - ‘that there’s much more to come’,
    I’d agree with that.

Against Charlton I think the Barnsley team never really got out of 3rd gear.
    I could see Charltons goal coming a couple of minutes before they scored - as the whole Barnsley team dropped into 2nd gear.
    They dropped into cruise mode - which is unacceptable.

There’s a thin line between arrogance and confidence.
    At the moment there seems to be an air of arrogance within the players - that they only have to turn up to win.
    That needs to stop.
    I agree that many of the Barnsley players are too good for the 1st Division - but the effort still has to be put in.

Another frustrating thing - is the absence of proper target striker/s that can bring other players into play.
    Time after time - long balls are knocked forward and possession is lost.
    If we had that type of player available at the club - I’d say we would easily get automatic promotion.
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 25-09-2022 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    I think the team is frustrating to watch at the moment.
    Norwood mentioned it after the Charlton game - ‘that there’s much more to come’,
    I’d agree with that.

Against Charlton I think the Barnsley team never really got out of 3rd gear.
    I could see Charltons goal coming a couple of minutes before they scored - as the whole Barnsley team dropped into 2nd gear.
    They dropped into cruise mode - which is unacceptable.

There’s a thin line between arrogance and confidence.
    At the moment there seems to be an air of arrogance within the players - that they only have to turn up to win.
    That needs to stop.
    I agree that many of the Barnsley players are too good for the 1st Division - but the effort still has to be put in.

Another frustrating thing - is the absence of proper target striker/s that can bring other players into play.
    Time after time - long balls are knocked forward and possession is lost.
    If we had that type of player available at the club - I’d say we would easily get automatic promotion.
    What did the board members say about bringing in target strikers when you asked them at the Shambles Nudge ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast