+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sonny Perkins

Sonny Perkins

Leeds United youngster Sonny Perkins has continued his recent sublime run of form by scoring a first half hat-trick for England Under-19s against Georgia in their Under-19 European Championships qualifier.

Perkins arrived at Elland Road from West Ham United this summer, and has already produced a number of eye-catching performances for Leeds Under-21s.

The 18-year-old opened the scoring for Simon Rusk's side against Georgia after just nine minutes, before netting his second, a penalty 10 minutes later.

And with England in comfortable control, he added his third for the Young Lions right before the break to continue his fine goal scoring run, wrapping up his hat-trick in 33 minutes.

The first half hat-trick means Perkins has now bagged 10 goals in seven games for club and country. England went on to win the game 6-0.

The forward made his England U19 debut this week alongside fellow Leeds team mate Darko Gyabi, in a game that saw Perkins score the second goal in a 2-0 win over Montenegro.

Leeds look to have pulled off a real coup in landing Perkins this summer, alongside a host of other talented youngsters.
    The Whites currently boast a squad bursting at the seams with potential, which includes the likes of Perkins, Gyabi, Joe Gelhardt, Wilfried Gnonto and Crysencio Summerville amongst others.

If Leeds can continue to develop and nurture these youngsters correctly, the future could be really bright at Elland Road in the years to come.

What she said!

Ironically after all the criticism over lack of striker signing in the transfer window we do seem to have overlooked what we've already got; surely Perkins deserves the opportunity that Gelhardt has been afforded. And who knows what Gnonto might be capable of. Surely if we did end up signing a Gakpo or De Ketalaere it just puts another body in the way of our developing youngsters?

It certainly leaves Bamford looking over his shoulder if he doesn’t produce the goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Orgoner View Post
    What she said!
    It wasn't me who said it. I copied and pasted it from an article I read.

But I have to say I agreed with every single word.

Much as I liked MB. Think it's safe to say we'd never see perkins play. we'd have been subjected to Roberts with an occasional sighting of Joffy.

I am very hopefull that both Perkins and Gnoto get some real opportunities this season on first team. It's a long season and we are going to have a bunch of games jammed up later in the season due to world cup and the Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Much as I liked MB. Think it's safe to say we'd never see perkins play. we'd have been subjected to Roberts with an occasional sighting of Joffy.

I am very hopefull that both Perkins and Gnoto get some real opportunities this season on first team. It's a long season and we are going to have a bunch of games jammed up later in the season due to world cup and the Queen.
    U21s seem to be blessed with midfield and attacking talent.

Greenwood, Perkins and Joseph all seem to be very capable (Greenwood seems to make a lot of first team squads too) with Max Dean waiting in the wings.

In midfield we have Gyabi, Gray, Allen and Bate who have all looked good and Summerville and Miller on the wings who may step up.

Not sure McGurk will step up from
    What I have seen but time will tell I guess.

Perkins for sure should be on bench for next game, looks a strong, athletic striker who knows where the back of the net is ( whatever level )
    Gnoto also, looks more than promising.
    Greenwood should make way, limited playing time, but as yet not really shown much.

Quote Originally Posted by bathlad61 View Post
    Perkins for sure should be on bench for next game, looks a strong, athletic striker who knows where the back of the net is ( whatever level )
    Gnoto also, looks more than promising.
    Greenwood should make way, limited playing time, but as yet not really shown much.
    The guy was super last game of the season and contrary to what Marsch said afterward he is not playing him so hard to show anything.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)