+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Derby County Forum

The reason our club will always remain a joke is because our fans also have a small club mentality not just the chairmen but more so the clubs fans...you certainly wouldn't hear any other fans praising the manager that just dumped on them for another club...it's like we just accept it so easily ,no wonder anytime we get anyone player or manager that is decent we lose them to so called better clubs...maybe if the fans didn't just accept things so easily then the chainmen may try a little harder to keep what we have...but no we will remain an easy touch

There is nothing wrong with checking out Derby's website what so ever. Natural curiosity is to be expected.I do think turning up in sliders and dancing along to a sing song is a little strange though. He is in danger of turning into his own caricature.....a little like Bruce Forsyth did!

Quote Originally Posted by Cebuman View Post
    The reason our club will always remain a joke is because our fans also have a small club mentality not just the chairmen but more so the clubs fans...you certainly wouldn't hear any other fans praising the manager that just dumped on them for another club...it's like we just accept it so easily ,no wonder anytime we get anyone player or manager that is decent we lose them to so called better clubs...maybe if the fans didn't just accept things so easily then the chairman may try a little harder to keep what we have...but no we will remain an easy touch
    In this case I’m not sure it was about trying harder. The facts are Derby are a much bigger club and have a structure to suit the Premiership. They are not a better team than us as demonstrated by the respective league positions but potentially, and matter of factly this is the first time in my time following the Millers that we are a division higher than them.
    In effect they, like Wednesday & Ipswich, are sleeping giants. Ok they have had problems financially but are under new ownership now.

Paul is 49. He has been at Rotherham for many years, not just as Manager and jobs like this don’t come around too many times. Perfect scenario for Paul. In no other time within Derby’s history, certainly not the last 40 years, would Paul have had a chance of getting the job, but they are at level 3 for the first time in 36 years, and he knows what it takes to get out of the league. Furthermore, he would view promotion to the Championship as the first step towards a goal of reaching the Prem. I am not saying that we will never get there, but even if we did, staying there would be much more difficult than for a club the size of Derby, who at the very least should be top 6 in the Championship. He could have rejected this and stayed, but only a few months ago some people on here were suggesting whether the Manager is good enough. He could have stayed and ended up out of work (as unlikely as that may sound) His stock will never be higher than it is now. Essentially now or never.

So to answer your question, I really don’t think there could be much, given the set of circumstances that the Chairman could have done to persuade him to stay, particularly when I believe Paul thought he had taken us as far as he can, whereas the Chairman doesn’t, and neither do I,

Therefore, I believe this could be good for both parties. Paul gets his next big challenge, and we also get a change, which we had already started to see when Smith and Ihiekwe left, which has forced us to play in a different (less direct) way which may better suit the level we are at. We had both players with us when we were promoted but also when we were relegated. The same applies to the management team so a change may help stop the cycle, particularly with someone new who like you and me may well think that, actually we can consolidate ourselves & then build from there. The mindset change from little old Rotherham to something of more standing.
    Essentially in believing he has taken us as far as he can is effectively saying little old Rotherham, plucky little team punching above their weight. The new manager (at least the right one) would need to have the mindset of, to the effect, this is where we belong.

No more plucky underdog.

Quote Originally Posted by Cebuman View Post
    The reason our club will always remain a joke is because our fans also have a small club mentality not just the chairmen but more so the clubs fans...you certainly wouldn't hear any other fans praising the manager that just dumped on them for another club...it's like we just accept it so easily ,no wonder anytime we get anyone player or manager that is decent we lose them to so called better clubs...maybe if the fans didn't just accept things so easily then the chainmen may try a little harder to keep what we have...but no we will remain an easy touch
    More like our fans don’t think we’re a small club or they wouldn’t keep wanting TS to spend spend spend.
    Warney had done a decent job and understandable some will praise him (some are/were arse lickers I agree)
    I still think he’s a hypocrite.
    Even worse he’s left us with no coaches, fair enough taking Barker but was there really any need to take the other two? Derby have quite a few coaches so definitely no need to take ours so why?

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    More like our fans don’t think we’re a small club or they wouldn’t keep wanting TS to spend spend spend.
    Warney had done a decent job and understandable some will praise him (some are/were arse lickers I agree)
    I still think he’s a hypocrite.
    Even worse he’s left us with no coaches, fair enough taking Barker but was there really any need to take the other two? Derby have quite a few coaches so definitely no need to take ours so why?
    I guess the backroom staff chose the 'security' of going with PW over the insecurity of not knowing what lay ahead if they stayed. Coal not dole.

Quote Originally Posted by Nardendee View Post
    In this case I’m not sure it was about trying harder. The facts are Derby are a much bigger club and have a structure to suit the Premiership. They are not a better team than us as demonstrated by the respective league positions but potentially, and matter of factly this is the first time in my time following the Millers that we are a division higher than them.
    In effect they, like Wednesday & Ipswich, are sleeping giants. Ok they have had problems financially but are under new ownership now.

Paul is 49. He has been at Rotherham for many years, not just as Manager and jobs like this don’t come around too many times. Perfect scenario for Paul. In no other time within Derby’s history, certainly not the last 40 years, would Paul have had a chance of getting the job, but they are at level 3 for the first time in 36 years, and he knows what it takes to get out of the league. Furthermore, he would view promotion to the Championship as the first step towards a goal of reaching the Prem. I am not saying that we will never get there, but even if we did, staying there would be much more difficult than for a club the size of Derby, who at the very least should be top 6 in the Championship. He could have rejected this and stayed, but only a few months ago some people on here were suggesting whether the Manager is good enough. He could have stayed and ended up out of work (as unlikely as that may sound) His stock will never be higher than it is now. Essentially now or never.

So to answer your question, I really don’t think there could be much, given the set of circumstances that the Chairman could have done to persuade him to stay, particularly when I believe Paul thought he had taken us as far as he can, whereas the Chairman doesn’t, and neither do I,

Therefore, I believe this could be good for both parties. Paul gets his next big challenge, and we also get a change, which we had already started to see when Smith and Ihiekwe left, which has forced us to play in a different (less direct) way which may better suit the level we are at. We had both players with us when we were promoted but also when we were relegated. The same applies to the management team so a change may help stop the cycle, particularly with someone new who like you and me may well think that, actually we can consolidate ourselves & then build from there. The mindset change from little old Rotherham to something of more standing.
    Essentially in believing he has taken us as far as he can is effectively saying little old Rotherham, plucky little team punching above their weight. The new manager (at least the right one) would need to have the mindset of, to the effect, this is where we belong.

No more plucky underdog.
    Good post mate.When I first started watching Rotherham 1958 We were in Division 2 now the Championship for many years,us & Huddersfield.At times Millmoor was a fortress nobody like coming to Millmoor even the big boys.We have to get back to this at NYS to stand any chance of longevity in this League.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    Good post mate.When I first started watching Rotherham 1958 We were in Division 2 now the Championship for many years,us & Huddersfield.At times Millmoor was a fortress nobody like coming to Millmoor even the big boys.We have to get back to this at NYS to stand any chance of longevity in this League.
    Haha, the fortress analogy once again. This season we have yet to lose at NYS. Last season we lost, I think, 5 games. In my first six season at "Fortress Millmoor" from 1962-3 onwards, we lost at home 5, 7, 5, 5, 6 and 11.

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    Haha, the fortress analogy once again. This season we have yet to lose at NYS. Last season we lost, I think, 5 games. In my first six season at "Fortress Millmoor" from 1962-3 onwards, we lost at home 5, 7, 5, 5, 6 and 11.
    Lolmorgan was not claiming that NYS was or ever had been a fortress. He was pointing out that at times Millmoor WAS a fortress and this was something we should try to emulate at NYS.

For Warne this is obviously a good move, more money, bigger club,etc.
    The timing is a bit odd,all his hard work was starting to pay off, and then he goes, maybe he thought this chance might not come again.
    Was strange to see him in another teams colours,but we move on he's history now.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    I guess the backroom staff chose the 'security' of going with PW over the insecurity of not knowing what lay ahead if they stayed. Coal not dole.
    True but even if the new manager fetches his own would it hurt to have extra coaches?
    Anyway Woody will sort them out so no fear

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast