+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Lawrenson

Mark Lawrenson

Reckons he was axed from the BBC because he's an older, white male. Whatever the reality is of how sports pundits and presenters on tv are becoming more diverse, I suspect that wasn't the reason.

I'd suggest it was because he was absolutely shite.

Good riddance, you miserable, sour-faced, useless twat.

Aye, used to be quite funny.

Became surly, nasty, boring and his knowledge was abysmal. Truly awful pundit whose bias was obvious.

i have no time for Mark Lawrenson, he was an awful, boring pundit and completely biased, hated our club.

BUT i can see where he is coming from, i dont think its just the BBC either. Over the past few years there has been an influx of "woke" presenters on tv, women, gay , black etc, anything apart from white male.

It doesnt bother me in all honesty, but what does bother me is if someone ever highlights this, they are accused of being some sort of phobe
    instantly

Just to look at the issue from the other side, Tanya, is it 'woke' or is it just redressing the balance from the old boys club-where you got a punditry job if you were one of the lads and good with banter, regardless of your capacity to add anything insightful or meaningful to a discussion-to a panel that more accurately reflects the make-up of today's audience?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Just to look at the issue from the other side, Tanya, is it 'woke' or is it just redressing the balance from the old boys club-where you got a punditry job if you were one of the lads and good with banter, regardless of your capacity to add anything insightful or meaningful to a discussion-to a panel that more accurately reflects the make-up of today's audience?
    i am looking at it from a completely neutral position Zip. I have no agenda either way. I have said before many times, my step father is from Ghana , my wife is Spanish, brother in law is Saudi.

The media latch on to a movement and ram it down our throats, if we dont agree then we are racist, homophobic or some other sort of derogatory pro noun

Look at Alex Scott for example, she is a stunningly gorgeous lady, ex pro footballer but do you expect me to believe, that she was the best candidate for the vacancy???? HELL NO!

She got that job because she ticked lots of boxes for the BBC's diversity agenda.

It kind of takes the shine off her appointment knowing that if her and a white male with 20+ years of experience in broadcasting were in the running, she gets it because the BBC's diversity policy.

Its like when the FA are going on about the lack of black and Asian football managers in the game. FFS they account for something like 2% of the UK population so to put it in reality for every 100 managers there should be 2 people of black and asian heritage in the same job. Its not racism, its ****ing statistics and numbers.

When will it end, next there will be a lack of Scottish/Irish/Welsh people on English tv.

Im sure as shlt too, if you go to Asia and Africa, there is waaaaay less white people presenting on their tv stations too, it doesnt make them racist or discriminative, its simply the majority of the population is made up of non whites .

I genuinely realise that the modern world has treated people of different race and religion awfully but going overboard like they are is not going to change history and im very sure people of minority would like to get a job based on their ability, education and hard work they have done, making them the best candidate rather than being a token for tick box numbers

having watched some of them newbes on sky sports some are bigger comedians than Morecambe and Wise

Not that I'm bothered at my age but it seems these days if you're Caucasian, over forty and hetero***ual you're f.ucked.

I'd suggest it was because he was absolutely shite.
    I'd say you nailed it on head.

He was always terrible to watch and listen to. Always whinging and moaning and very rarely had anything constructive to say.

Lawro was an awful pundit. He got sacked because he was an awful pundit. He didn't get sacked because he was a white middle aged male.

I'd watch any of the female, black or gay pundits over Lawro any day. In fact I'd listen to some of the other white middle aged pundits over him. In fact, prefer to listen to a dog barking.

Love Alex Scott on the screen. I don't see what is has to do with presenters being "woke". And yes, it is about diversity which clearly aggravates some people. Glad they have "boxes to tick" otherwise gays, women (who never know anything about football, right?) and other "woke" snowflakes never get a shot.

TANYA, you're a great poster. One of the best. But your post is an angry-white-male rant. Why so angry about attempts to reflect diversity in the screen? And drape that in a post about Lawro???

Diversity on the screen is not just a gesture, even though it may seem so to you. I'm all for it if takes that sourfaced cu'nt off my screen.

Ask yourself why you're so angry about the points you raised. Why? Don't you have something more deserving of your anger?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)