+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A few topics for Starmer to address in Liverpool...

A few topics for Starmer to address in Liverpool...

If Keir Starmer is stuck for a few topics to have discussions about this week perhaps he can address a few of these issues instead of worrying about how "God Save the King" will pan out at a Labour party conference...
    Levelling up. Still London centric. Despite Johnson’s and Tory Party rhetoric we still have the ever-widening North/South divide.

NHS. Ambulance 999 Emergency waiting times off the chart. A & E admission times evolving into two days on a gurney. The north of England is experiencing extraordinarily long waiting times for clinical operations. Access to NHS Health provision is just a Postcode Lottery. We have gone from being able to see our GP in 48 hours under a Labour government to a fingers-crossed two weeks under our new Health Secretary. We have been told patients could move to another GP who also wouldn’t be able to see them if they had no luck with the first one. Failing that, they could just do everyone a favour and die.

Cost of living crisis. Quasi Modo (or whatever is name is), is not just gambling on a new strategy, he is betting the ranch and mortgaging the house. While Tory tax cuts empower the rich, children whose parents earn less than £7,400 a year are eligible for school meals, but 800,000 children living in poverty are totally missing out, according to the Child Poverty Action Group. It really does come down to one rule for the rich and one for the poor and Truss does not give a fig. It looks a lot to me like neither does Starmer.

Energy price hikes. Instead of a borrow, borrow, and borrow some more strategy why not just cap energy prices at 4%? It is not exactly rocket science is it, unless you are pocketing millions in “nice little earners”.

Tory money borrowing is now completely out of hand. Quasi Modo the new Chancellor of the Exchequer just announced more than £400bn of extra borrowing over the next few years to fund the biggest giveaway since Tony Barber’s ill-fated 1972 budget. Get a grip dude!

Bankers’ bonuses. Quasi Kwarteng scrapped the 45% rate of income tax paid by those earning more than £150,000 a year, abolished the cap on bankers’ bonuses, simply reversed the rise in national insurance contributions and brought forward by a year the reduction in the basic rate of income tax from 20% to 19%, which was controversially pencilled in by his predecessor Dishy Rishi for 2024. Those lucky enough to be earning over £1,000,000 will see their take-home income increase by more than £40,000, and the poorest will see barely any increase at all. I would call this out as being an incredibly stupid gamble, with regular people’s livelihoods being held as the collateral. The pound has totally tanked in value following Quasi’s statement, plummeting to depths not seen in decades and further deepening the disastrous impacts of the Liz Truss enable the rich strategy.

Northern Ireland - Protocol/Brexit legacy. No trade deals with EU or US until resolved.

Royal Navy - they can pull the Queen’s gun carriage but can hardly float a boat. Our Unable Seamen forgot to grease a propeller shaft rendering a £3 billion aircraft carrier into scrap iron. Defence spending under Liz is set to soar, perhaps we can now afford some axle grease and a couple of new frigates?

HS2 – Scrap the lame duck. A train to nowhere is not what we need right now.

Crumbling Commonwealth - the Leavers are assembling. Sound familiar?

Ukraine interference. Why are the Tories still working on the assumption Great Britain is a global superpower? Why not try leaving it to the UN, NATO and the counties who have a coterminous boundary with Ukraine to sort it?

Inequality - King Charles will not pay tax on the fortune he has inherited from the late Queen. How can this be right?

Universal Credit – the difficulty of access of this “benefit” and its paucity is creating immeasurable child poverty.

Racism. It’s still alive and kicking in the UK as well as the good old USA! The latest Met Police’s victim Chris Kaba's family say the "whole world" needs to see footage of his death after the unarmed black man was shot in the head by a firearms officer following a police chase in South London. On Wednesday, Mr Kaba’s grieving family saw body-worn footage from officers in two police cars who boxed in his Audi Q8 late on September 5 in Streatham.
    Shot dead for being black? What a country we all live in.

Attachment 22611

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    If Keir Starmer is stuck for a few topics to have discussions about this week perhaps he can address a few of these issues instead of worrying about how "God Save the King" will pan out at a Labour party conference...
    Levelling up. Still London centric. Despite Johnson’s and Tory Party rhetoric we still have the ever-widening North/South divide.

NHS. Ambulance 999 Emergency waiting times off the chart. A & E admission times evolving into two days on a gurney. The north of England is experiencing extraordinarily long waiting times for clinical operations. Access to NHS Health provision is just a Postcode Lottery. We have gone from being able to see our GP in 48 hours under a Labour government to a fingers-crossed two weeks under our new Health Secretary. We have been told patients could move to another GP who also wouldn’t be able to see them if they had no luck with the first one. Failing that, they could just do everyone a favour and die.

Cost of living crisis. Quasi Modo (or whatever is name is), is not just gambling on a new strategy, he is betting the ranch and mortgaging the house. While Tory tax cuts empower the rich, children whose parents earn less than £7,400 a year are eligible for school meals, but 800,000 children living in poverty are totally missing out, according to the Child Poverty Action Group. It really does come down to one rule for the rich and one for the poor and Truss does not give a fig. It looks a lot to me like neither does Starmer.

Energy price hikes. Instead of a borrow, borrow, and borrow some more strategy why not just cap energy prices at 4%? It is not exactly rocket science is it, unless you are pocketing millions in “nice little earners”.

Tory money borrowing is now completely out of hand. Quasi Modo the new Chancellor of the Exchequer just announced more than £400bn of extra borrowing over the next few years to fund the biggest giveaway since Tony Barber’s ill-fated 1972 budget. Get a grip dude!

Bankers’ bonuses. Quasi Kwarteng scrapped the 45% rate of income tax paid by those earning more than £150,000 a year, abolished the cap on bankers’ bonuses, simply reversed the rise in national insurance contributions and brought forward by a year the reduction in the basic rate of income tax from 20% to 19%, which was controversially pencilled in by his predecessor Dishy Rishi for 2024. Those lucky enough to be earning over £1,000,000 will see their take-home income increase by more than £40,000, and the poorest will see barely any increase at all. I would call this out as being an incredibly stupid gamble, with regular people’s livelihoods being held as the collateral. The pound has totally tanked in value following Quasi’s statement, plummeting to depths not seen in decades and further deepening the disastrous impacts of the Liz Truss enable the rich strategy.

Northern Ireland - Protocol/Brexit legacy. No trade deals with EU or US until resolved.

Royal Navy - they can pull the Queen’s gun carriage but can hardly float a boat. Our Unable Seamen forgot to grease a propeller shaft rendering a £3 billion aircraft carrier into scrap iron. Defence spending under Liz is set to soar, perhaps we can now afford some axle grease and a couple of new frigates?

HS2 – Scrap the lame duck. A train to nowhere is not what we need right now.

Crumbling Commonwealth - the Leavers are assembling. Sound familiar?

Ukraine interference. Why are the Tories still working on the assumption Great Britain is a global superpower? Why not try leaving it to the UN, NATO and the counties who have a coterminous boundary with Ukraine to sort it?

Inequality - King Charles will not pay tax on the fortune he has inherited from the late Queen. How can this be right?

Universal Credit – the difficulty of access of this “benefit” and its paucity is creating immeasurable child poverty.

Racism. It’s still alive and kicking in the UK as well as the good old USA! The latest Met Police’s victim Chris Kaba's family say the "whole world" needs to see footage of his death after the unarmed black man was shot in the head by a firearms officer following a police chase in South London. On Wednesday, Mr Kaba’s grieving family saw body-worn footage from officers in two police cars who boxed in his Audi Q8 late on September 5 in Streatham.
    Shot dead for being black? What a country we all live in.

Attachment 22611
    The onslaught begins !

There is only one pot of money - we could all just pay more for services and in taxes , but people wouldn’t want that so the merry go round starts again.

Ive watched this scenario- situation that many times now I’ve learned not to let it worry me , I have to look after me and mine primarily do my bit elsewhere for others when I can, after that just accept the lies and borrowing of Peter to pay Paul.

Same pot of money - same rules - different people at the helm - same end results one way or another.

The Jurassic Park of Politics. Man the barricades brothers, where are the flying pickets when you need them ?

Jesus fecking wept.

The pound in your pocket is now worth less than a dollar chaps. I hope you are both happy.

I love it ----"If we mean to keep any control over our world and lives, we must be interested in politics."
    Great stuff, except all you can do is cast a vote for whichever local candidate is trying to become an MP which, in my neck of the woods, could be a monkey standing for the Labour Party and it would get in. After that, I have so much influence over what they do in the House of Commons that I just get on with life and, like army, look after those nearest and dearest and those unfortunates who seek help from SSAFA.

You cast your vote and expect those people who are elected to run the country in the best interests of the population, sadly this has not been the case for a very long time.

The pound in your pocket is now worth less than a dollar chaps.
    Is it really, clearly free markets and capitalism works then.

Having today got back from England, there is no doubt that it is a sh*t show. Sadly, it is only going to get worse.

The country is full yet thousands still arrive at an enormous cost, fiscally and socially. It is a “nanny state” where too many people look to the Government to deal with every problem using the “magic money tree”.

There is violence around the country between Hindus and Muslims. Hate -preachers are allowed to spill their provocative bile, whilst peaceful opinion is shut down.

The police are more interested in showing their dancing skills on YouTube than solving crime.

The NHS is sicker than its patients. It is a sacred cow that no one dare touch - a black hole that money is thrown into.

Yet so many people do not exercise their democratic right to vote, being more interested in Love Island or Coronation Street.

It is not down to one particular party. They are all rubbish, stuffed with mediocre politicians. It is a popularity contest now, not ability, intellect and ideas.

The list goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Is it really, clearly free markets and capitalism works then.
    Try telling that to families that won't be able to pay their mortgage or rent, heat their homes or put food in their bellies this winter.

Food banks and charity are the best Truss can put on the table. I'll give Liz her due it usually takes a new Tory Prime Minister at least a year to f*uck up, she's managed it in under a fortnight.

Try telling that to families that won't be able to pay their mortgage or rent, heat their homes or put food in their bellies this winter.

Food banks and charity are the best Truss can put on the table. I'll give Liz her due it usually takes a new Tory Prime Minister at least a year to f*uck up, she's managed it in under a fortnight.
    WHy are peoople moaning about mortgage interest rates? The rate today is 6.59%.
    After 23 different houses in 23 years whilst doing my bit, we decided that we should buy a house in March 1988. I was earning £10500 per annum at the time. We purchased the house when the mortgae interest rate was 9.78%, within just 2 months it had risen to 12.75% and within the year it was 13.46% and continued to rise until October 1990 when it was 15.24%. It was September 1992 before it dropped to a level just below our original rate of 9.78% --it became 8.98%. It remained between 6% and 8% until May 2001 when it stabilised slightly.That's life and you get on with things ----or at least ---that's what we used to do.

Nowadays, as swiss said, the public want the state to bale them out and tell them what to do. Sadly, this is the way that many have been conditioned to do and they are unable to work things out for themselves and I am still paying taxes to help pay their benefits!

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    Having today got back from England, there is no doubt that it is a sh*t show. Sadly, it is only going to get worse.

The country is full yet thousands still arrive at an enormous cost, fiscally and socially. It is a “nanny state” where too many people look to the Government to deal with every problem using the “magic money tree”.

There is violence around the country between Hindus and Muslims. Hate -preachers are allowed to spill their provocative bile, whilst peaceful opinion is shut down.

The police are more interested in showing their dancing skills on YouTube than solving crime.

The NHS is sicker than its patients. It is a sacred cow that no one dare touch - a black hole that money is thrown into.

Yet so many people do not exercise their democratic right to vote, being more interested in Love Island or Coronation Street.

It is not down to one particular party. They are all rubbish, stuffed with mediocre politicians. It is a popularity contest now, not ability, intellect and ideas.

The list goes on.
    Couldn't have put it better myself Swiss. Some deluded fools seem to think that if only we swopped one set of buffoons running the country for a different set of buffoons, all would be well. But it wouldn't would it ? It wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. We're fecked.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)