+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Fleetwood v Barnsley match thoughts

Deserved the points but to be honest I was surprised when we got the winner, but credit again to Duff who changed things to conjure up the win , I thought Mads was the class act with special mention for Cadden who supplied some sublime crosses & for Notwood who showed some valuable experience today , he led the line well & provided the all important assist to grab the goal , a fit Notwood makes a big difference to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    Deserved the points but to be honest I was surprised when we got the winner, but credit again to Duff who changed things to conjure up the win , I thought Mads was the class act with special mention for Cadden who supplied some sublime crosses & for Notwood who showed some valuable experience today , he led the line well & provided the all important assist to grab the goal , a fit Notwood makes a big difference to the team.
    Defiantly looks fitter than he was in August , looks to have at long last realised why he's here and what's expected and more to the point he looks to be enjoying it .

One last tune out of James this season could go a long way .

Great win today. Another away clean sheet(3 in a row now)and a last minute winner for us fo the first time since boer war! Very well taken header by young Aitchison. That goal's gonna give him an immense boost

Hey I think that had a bit of a 'Walsall away in 2019' feel about it today, the one during Stendel's promotion season of course.
    It sounds like we should have hammered them in the first half, but you can clearly see why they don't win or lose that many matches.
    And it became much more of a scrap in the second half, and thankfully Aitchie pops up with a 90th minute winner. 😊
    We move on, positively and very nicely thank you. 🍺

Keep right on to the end of the game. Another three points for the Duff Boys and Julie Quay's Red and White Army.

It could well be another Stendel season. The squad is not as strong and there is less attacking flair than under Stendel but Duff is playing the cards he has well. The experience of Norwood and Andersen stood out. Controlled the first 30 mins but couldn't get the final ball/ finish right. Second half was a shocker but just as it looked like Fleetwood were heading for another draw Norwood put in a quality cross for Aitchison to head the winner.

Up the Duff.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Keep right on to the end of the game. Another three points for the Duff Boys and Julie Quay's Red and White Army.

It could well be another Stendel season. The squad is not as strong and there is less attacking flair than under Stendel but Duff is playing the cards he has well. The experience of Norwood and Andersen stood out. Controlled the first 30 mins but couldn't get the final ball/ finish right. Second half was a shocker but just as it looked like Fleetwood were heading for another draw Norwood put in a quality cross for Aitchison to head the winner.

Up the Duff.
    Duff is indeed playing the cards dealt to him very well which is the mark of a very good manager , dare I say Valesque SB but with better football ?

The squad is in essence a group of remaining players from last season who couldn't so much as complete two consecutive passes , a trio of rejuvenated lads in Benson , Cole and Kane and half a dozen freebies .

However as you say for all that Stendel's squad had real quality at this level , probably the best squad in league one .

The difference is that today Stendel's squad would still get automatic promotion in my opinion but because there are 7 other quality teams this season any 5 could potentially miss out which wasn't the case three years ago .

I still say 5th or 6th for us at best and taking our chances in the play offs .

That said it's a remarkable transformation from where we were at the end of last season and to even be in the mix at all is an achievement even if we fall short .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Duff is indeed playing the cards dealt to him very well which is the mark of a very good manager , dare I say Valesque SB but with better football ?

The squad is in essence a group of remaining players from last season who couldn't so much as complete two consecutive passes , a trio of rejuvenated lads in Benson , Cole and Kane and half a dozen freebies .

However as you say for all that Stendel's squad had real quality at this level , probably the best squad in league one .

The difference is that today Stendel's squad would still get automatic promotion in my opinion but because there are 7 other quality teams this season any 5 could potentially miss out which wasn't the case three years ago .

I still say 5th or 6th for us at best and taking our chances in the play offs .

That said it's a remarkable transformation from where we were at the end of last season and to even be in the mix at all is an achievement even if we fall short .
    From what I've seen we can pass the ball very well at times. We opened up Charlton numerous times in the second half last week with some great one touch stuff and eager runners looking to get in behind. Port Vale we should have put that game to bed well before their late revival but again, some excellent pass and move football wi art the finishing touches.

The defence has kept 3 consecutive clean sheets on our travels and that's what we need to do.

My concern is the financial position the club finds itself in. As SB has pointed art, this squad isn't as strong as the Stendel squad was at this level. We will be exposed with a couple of long term injuries and if we sell 2 key players this January to get the debt down, then we can forget the top 6 because there's not adequate replacements available either within the squad or bringing in freebies or young loan players.

Duff is doing a terrific job under these circumstances. We continue with the roll that we're on and the momentum can carry us forward. The board should back him in January if we find ourselves amongst the leading pack. Unfortunately I don't think that will be the case, quite the opposite to be honest considering the losses we are making.

If by chance we are in or around the top 6 in January ? I personally wouldnt have thought we would sell anyone , to strengthen should be our aim , its all ifs and buts just now , im hoping plans are in place for a promotion push , if achieved they will get back the revenue that they all conspired to lose us last season , Forza di Reds 🚩

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    If by chance we are in or around the top 6 in January ? I personally wouldnt have thought we would sell anyone , to strengthen should be our aim , its all ifs and buts just now , im hoping plans are in place for a promotion push , if achieved they will get back the revenue that they all conspired to lose us last season , Forza di Reds 🚩
    Gambling and bad financial management gorruz in this predicament int first place. Personally, a can't see Parekh doin same considering how critical he was of PMG this summer.

However, does the debt have to be paid off immediately? How serious is it to warrant selling all our more established players? Wiv already sin Woodrow, Morris, Brittain, Styles and Helik leave which must've brought in a few million as well as getting them off the wage bill.

As tha sez, promotion to the championship brings the club 8/9million in TV revenue, bigger sponsorship deals, bigger crowds etc. What are the clubs objectives?

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Gambling and bad financial management gorruz in this predicament int first place. Personally, a can't see Parekh doin same considering how critical he was of PMG this summer.

However, does the debt have to be paid off immediately? How serious is it to warrant selling all our more established players? Wiv already sin Woodrow, Morris, Brittain, Styles and Helik leave which must've brought in a few million as well as getting them off the wage bill.

As tha sez, promotion to the championship brings the club 8/9million in TV revenue, bigger sponsorship deals, bigger crowds etc. What are the clubs objectives?
    There's a full three months befooar the transfer window so let's enjoy the moments if we do go on a long run.

If Duff proves to be outstanding I fear some Championship club with a bigger potential and budget may come sniffing. Would he turn Burnley down ? Or a club nearer his family ?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast