+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: O/T:- Rob Edwards Sacked

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Funnily enough, they didn’t actually announce over the tannoy he was leaving before the Grimsby game, but everyone knew he was going. We then proceeded to put in one of our worst performances of the season in our biggest game of the season. If you don’t think those two things are related fair enough, but I do. We were extremely fortunate to be 1-0 up going into injury time. If you think our papier-mâché defence would have coped with Wrexham’s crosses and long throws in the semi final, enough that Wootton et al would have scored more, fair enough, but I don’t.

I think that Burchnall was a disgrace taking another job before the playoffs and I’m glad it’s going wrong for him at FGR.
    Can't remember anyone saying it was a disgrace that IB was appointed less than a day after Ardley went.

IB only did what a lot of fans would have done in similar circumstances if offered a better job.

Fortunate or not, the facts are that we were winning 1 - 0 with seconds of added time left. We were unfortunate in losing Roberts so early too.

Let's not forget that the winning goal looked offside.

Funnily enough, they didn’t actually announce over the tannoy he was leaving before the Grimsby game, but everyone knew he was going. We then proceeded to put in one of our worst performances of the season in our biggest game of the season. If you don’t think those two things are related fair enough, but I do. We were extremely fortunate to be 1-0 up going into injury time. If you think our papier-mâché defence would have coped with Wrexham’s crosses and long throws in the semi final, enough that Wootton et al would have scored more, fair enough, but I don’t.

I think that Burchnall was a disgrace taking another job before the playoffs and I’m glad it’s going wrong for him at FGR.
    Notts and Grimsby were both poor that night. Both teams had chances to win it but Richardson gifted them a lifeline with the last kick of the game.
    If you were a player, playing in the NL and you had a chance to get back into league 2, would your determination to personally better your career change if you thought the manager was leaving?
    IB wasn’t on the pitch that night and those players were playing for a chance to move up a league. We didn’t take our chances and we gifted them a lifeline. Absolutely nothing to do with IB leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    . Absolutely nothing to do with IB leaving.
    Well this thread had been all guesswork before you came along, so thank goodness you did to give us a definitive insight into what did or didn’t motivate 14 footballers in a match 4 months ago. I’d have thought a playoff campaign might be affected by everyone knowing the head coach was on his bike at the end of it, but you’ve put me right on that one.

Aside from that, your analysis of the match itself is complete nonsense, Grimsby were by far the better team and deserved to win.

Well this thread had been all guesswork before you came along, so thank goodness you did to give us a definitive insight into what did or didn’t motivate 14 footballers in a match 4 months ago. I’d have thought a playoff campaign might be affected by everyone knowing the head coach was on his bike at the end of it, but you’ve put me right on that one.

Aside from that, your analysis of the match itself is complete nonsense, Grimsby were by far the better team and deserved to win.
    Agreed. Grimbo were by far the better team. They missed enough decent chances to win 3 games. Notts on the other hand looked like a team who were stuck in a 2U 2Me groove and had no idea how to break down the Grimbo defence. That's how I saw it anytrode.

"everyone" is a big claim.

I didn't do a stats report for the Grimsby game, I just couldn't bring myself to do it or impart it on to fellow fans. However, when you analyse the match in it's entirety there was literally nothing to separate the two teams and it was a game won and lost on individual poor decision making.

I did run the xG data through the simulator and based on the chances created, including the peno, Notts came out on top suggesting a 62% win percentage compared to 18% for Grimsby. If you take the peno out of the equation Notts still created the higher value chances suggesting a 45% win percentage compared to 31% for Grimsby.

Unfortunately Notts didn't take their big chances and Grimsby did, albeit handed to them on a plate by Notts.

I think ncfcog’s stats prove otherwise. But yeah, we missed our chances due to the welling tears of the players, caused by IB’s impending departure.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    I think ncfcog’s stats prove otherwise. But yeah, we missed our chances due to the welling tears of the players, caused by IB’s impending departure.
    I think ncfcog’s stats page is great, and normally they align with what I see on the pitch. Not this time though. My fairly hazy memory is that they battered us for the period between ht and when we scored. I don’t really remember us missing chances, though Wootton was playing, so we probably did.

If you don’t think IB intending to leave affected that game that’s fair enough, I don’t really see how you can declare it as a definite though. It seems fairly clear he was lucky to get an opportunity 2 leagues up, and the early signs are that he’s being found out.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    It may speed up their decision on IB.

The fans were not happy with him standing with his arms crossed or in his pockets all game while the team loast 4-0 at home on Saturday without a peep from him on the sidelines.
    I actually watched all that game on Saturday and FG were absolutely clueless... Exeter could and should of out 10 past them... FG couldn't string 2 passes together and heads completely dropped when they went 1 down...can't see IB lasting much longer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123