+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Top Ten Football Radar Signings

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    I did say to you lads in 2019-20, ''This might well be our best chance to get out of this League for a while''. Oops. One mitigating factor that needs to be taken into consideration is, this League has certainly gotten more competative and harder to get promo from, season on season. What with all the dosh being thrown around.
    I think 20/21 is still the big missed opportunity, Sutton won it with a pretty modest points total, but for a variety of reasons (Ardley couldn’t work out what to do with Rodrigues, Roberts got injured, Thomas disappeared off the face of the earth) it never quite happened.

Last year I think we underachieved slightly, but also Stockport and Wrexham posted massive points totals with massive budgets.

19/20 I think we did well to get as close as we did considering the chaos we were in a few days before the season started, and we were horribly unlucky with the timing of Covid just as we hit our straps.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    For anyone who's interested, here are the squads for the previous 3 seasons plus this one so far.

Question:
    Which one, if any of these four seasons, had/has the better squad and why?
    Current squad by a mile IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    That's continual decline, right?

Interesting post so "Our 1st season (2019-2020) we finished 3rd and lost at Wembley. The team was put together days before the season began. (Ardley)" And yet many refused to accept that the p!ss poor and clearly behind schedule pre-season was a valid excuse for a slow start to that season. Plus finishing 3rd and losing at the Wembey final was a sackable offence.

I wonder what the respective squad wage bill and average age were for each of those 3 seasons.
    Do you mean the team that had been training together all pre- season and played during the friendlies , is that team that was only put together days before the season kicked off ?

He's referring to your quote Durhampie, so over to you to respond

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    Genuine question - have we made a ‘bad’ permanent signing under the new owners/since relegation (I think the first window was 90% Ardley because we had no time). There’s been the odd dud loanee, but they’re always going to be somewhat hit and miss, but otherwise?

Even the ones who take some time to get going seem to start contributing and showing why we’ve signed them eventually, Nemane and Mitchell are doing it this year and Chicksen has done as well.

Maybe Lewis Knight is the closest, although injuries pretty much killed any chance he had.
    Jury is still out on Mitchell and Vincent.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton_Pie View Post
    Jury is still out on Mitchell and Vincent.
    Add Ed Francis to that list as I think he is on a par with them

Bad permanent signing could surely be Casper Sloth? Blink and he was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex_Southwell_Magpie View Post
    Add Ed Francis to that list as I think he is on a par with them

Bad permanent signing could surely be Casper Sloth? Blink and he was gone.
    Those three would have to do more to be seen as ‘good signings’, but I think all have done enough of a job for us as young players not to be labelled ‘bad’ ones either.

Sloth counts, though! Forgot about him, unsurprisingly.

Without wishing to be contrarian, shouldn’t Notts signings at this level always be good? We have a bigger budget than virtually all the other teams, bigger crowds, we’re a more generally attractive proposition. Someone like Norwich’s player model looks fantastic until they er get promoted. I’m not sure it took much insight to sign the player of the season and top scorer from the league below or his mate.

Not denying Football Radar have done well in non league, certainly better than clowns like Hardy and Trew did in the EFL. I’d be reluctant to get too carried away though until we’re signing good players for the leagues above.

Not "always good" but agree BFP that we (along with only 2 or 3 other teams each seasons) have the same advantage for signing good players for this level due to size, budget etc. Although we had a similar advantage over the majority of others during our lengthy time in League 2 and our signings overall were awful, relegation stuff by comparison.

Also agree no radar was needed to identify Langstaff, I would imagine all of NL and L2 were aware of his goalscoring and awards so instead the praise has to go to the owners for signing him and impressively his strike partner. They stuck their hands in their pockets, they sold the club, the plan, the methodology which convinced both to sign when surely they had interest elsewhere. Quite a few signings have mentioned how impressive the club are in terms of research, knowing the players, and more importantly how we want to implement them into the side and no doubt improve them.

As for whether the signings are good enough for the leagues above, we will only know when we get back there.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Not "always good" but agree BFP that we (along with only 2 or 3 other teams each seasons) have the same advantage for signing good players for this level due to size, budget etc. Although we had a similar advantage over the majority of others during our lengthy time in League 2 and our signings overall were awful, relegation stuff by comparison.

Also agree no radar was needed to identify Langstaff, I would imagine all of NL and L2 were aware of his goalscoring and awards so instead the praise has to go to the owners for signing him and impressively his strike partner. They stuck their hands in their pockets, they sold the club, the plan, the methodology which convinced both to sign when surely they had interest elsewhere. Quite a few signings have mentioned how impressive the club are in terms of research, knowing the players, and more importantly how we want to implement them into the side and no doubt improve them.

As for whether the signings are good enough for the leagues above, we will only know when we get back there.
    I think the key to a Langstaff he knew we were admirers before the end of the season. I seem to remember there had been some dialogue between the clubs or him directly long before he signed, which was on the face of it a very good move.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 28-09-2022 at 06:04 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast