+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Ten Football Radar Signings

Top Ten Football Radar Signings

As the title suggests…no loan signings allowed!

1. Matty Palmer

Player of the season last year and has carried on where he left of this season. Everything goes through him and although the opposition know this he is just too clever for this league. His timing, positioning, tempo and technique means he never has to put crunching tackles in. I love watching him play. Can’t shoot for toffee mind but he still ranks as my number one footy radar signing.

2. Ruben

Not only technically gifted but I love his attitude and work ethic. Can’t believe he plays for us really. His turns, vision, passing, heading, work rate and shooting are surely at least league one level? Perhaps I’ve forgotten how hard league one actually is. I’ll be sad to see him go when the time comes but he’ll go with my best wishes.

3. Richard Brindley

Such class. Everything he does looks almost effortless. Another one with good positional sense and is technically suited to our style of play. Always at least a 7 out of 10 for me. I like to see him bring the ball out of defence and commit players….has a rasping shot on him too, remember that screamer he scored in our first season in the NL?

4. Kyle Cameron

Had a great first season and is another consistent performer. Like to see him attack and bring the ball out of defence and has scored some great goals. Still think he’d be good at LWB!

5. Wootton

He has his detractors but he was a really good signing for us and basically carried the forward line for two seasons barring one purple patch from Ruben. I thought he was better under Ardley than Burchnall but I enjoyed watching his link up play and the goals he gave us. I hope his career works out well for him, a seemingly genuine decent pro.

5. Roberts

Flashes of absolute brilliance before his terrible injury. Never thought he was the same afterwards and Burchnall didn’t get the best out of him imo. Would have been interesting to see what LW would have done with him.

6. Rawlo

I know he has had dodgy moments or periods but I’ll not forget how colossal he was in his first season. Proper old school defender, gives his all and has served us well. Great attitude.

7. Chicksen

Another classy defender brought in by football radar. Took his time settling in at Notts, mainly I think due to Ardley not liking him, but he has such talent. Not the greatest LWB but everything he does has a touch of talent about it, much like Brindley. I’ll always appreciate the interview he did when he apologised for asking to leave the club (not that I really blamed him). He has proven to be a really good signing.

8. Slocombe

Yep, I’m going there! I don’t care what anyone says….he’s been very good for us and we shouldn’t expect much better in the NL or even league two. He was just excellent in the first season and obviously has a great passion for the game. Another great pro in the side.

9. DKE

Obvious deficiencies in raw talent but I’ve put him in here just for his pure determination, will and work ethic. Would we be in the NL if we had a team with his attitude? He was never one of my favourites but I just couldn’t leave him out….a bit of a richard liburd about him!

10. Langstaff

Wasn’t going to include any summer signings as the jury is still out imo….however, 12 goals in 10 games, what can you say 🤷

I think DKE was with us before the Danes took over, he certainly played for us in friendlies before the season started.

Not sure…I thought he was one of the first in with Slocombe, Rawlo et al?

I’d find a place for Eli Sam. Neither manager quite cracked the Eli enigma - a real shame as he had flashes of brilliance, encapsulated by THAT goal.

I suspect Macauley Langstaff could end up top of that list over a longer period of time, but it's very subjective and a lot of people's lists are likely to be different, at least in terms of order if not players.

I think what's indisputable is that the quality of our recruitment has improved dramatically since Football Radar took control. I suppose the bar was set pretty low by previous regimes, but I think it's fair to say the vast majority of FR signings have been a success and an improvement on what preceded them.

Do we call them radar signings though, I expect the first season some were driven as much by Ardley and he claimed we were tipped off about Cal to have a proper look even though he was on the radar list already. Obviously Ruben and Eli were radar but the rest I guess are up for debate.

I would say all this seasons were definitely radar driven except Baldwin and look like most of them will be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Do we call them radar signings though, I expect the first season some were driven as much by Ardley and he claimed we were tipped off about Cal to have a proper look even though he was on the radar list already. Obviously Ruben and Eli were radar but the rest I guess are up for debate.

I would say all this seasons were definitely radar/ except Baldwin and look like most of them will be successful.
    I think the vast majority over the last three years were Radar signings, or certainly Radar-approved. They're in the football data business and I think Notts County is something of a showcase for what they do and the quality of the information they collect.

The only one I didn't necessarily think was a Football Radar 'pick' is Kairo Mitchell, at least not predominantly. I suspect that was an Ian Burchnall-influenced signing based on his contacts in Leicester.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    .....I think what's indisputable is that the quality of our recruitment has improved dramatically since Football Radar took control. I suppose the bar was set pretty low by previous regimes, but I think it's fair to say the vast majority of FR signings have been a success and an improvement on what preceded them.
    Amazingly only as recently as the latter parts of last season it was still being disputed by a continued determined few. Surely now this number has to be reducing even if people don't wish to recognise it?

The bar was indeed set low, very low IMO and even more depressingly for so long by former owners. The perceived success:failure ratio with transfer signings is tough for most clubs but under #radar it has been impressive without a doubt. The curve appears positive and increasingly upward and when it comes to recruitment that is the polar opposite to how Notts used to approach recruitment which tbh was at best basic and scattergun, and at worst simply embarrassing and costly.

I'd say it has been the single biggest turnaround at the club since the Danes came in, I'd also suggest it's one of the most important.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Amazingly only as recently as the latter parts of last season it was still being disputed by a continued determined few. Surely now this number has to be reducing even if people don't wish to recognise it?

The bar was indeed set low, very low IMO and even more depressingly for so long by former owners. The perceived success:failure ratio with transfer signings is tough for most clubs but under #radar it has been impressive without a doubt. The curve appears positive and increasingly upward and when it comes to recruitment that is the polar opposite to how Notts used to approach recruitment which tbh was at best basic and scattergun, and at worst simply embarrassing and costly.

I'd say it has been the single biggest turnaround at the club since the Danes came in, I'd also suggest it's one of the most important.
    Of course if anyone doesn't want to give the credit for our improved recruitment to the owners, then it must go to the managers, and Football Radar recruited the last two of those as well!

I don't think there's any doubt really that the ownership have had a huge positive impact on recruitment. We've seen a complete and positive step-change in the quality and type of player being signed over the past three years. We're now signing a succession of players in their early to mid-twenties, meaning they have enough prior experience not to be overawed, but are just on the cusp of fulfilling their potential.

If anyone still doubts it, please step forward and let it be known.

Looking back I know quite a few familiar faces (well names) on here really doubted, questioned and argued the quality of the recruitment under the owners and #radar on multiple threads but I do hope that even they have finally changed their minds on this topic.

We certainly don't want to dig those threads/posts up. Best to keep things positive, which is easy to when it comes to players in through the door.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast