+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: West Brom Fans Voting With Feet

West Brom Fans Voting With Feet

Due to the shocking league position and a few poor performances supporters are starting to boycott matches:

Legends - poor poor attendance with Smethwick closed and Brummie deserted.

Communication from Preston
    North End host the Baggies at Deepdale on Wednesday 5th October (8pm), and the Kop will now be split between home and away supporters for this fixture, with ticket sales of our visitors below the expected demand.

Never had that before at Preston as the night game when we drew 1-1 we filled the Kop!

Yes the cost of living but like me who went to almost every game - many can’t be a rsed with Bruce and Fat Ron running a s hit show!

It will get worse!

I would say that even if we were top of the league, the attendances will start to suffer.
    Eventually, even going to a football match will be seen as a luxury and will be curtailed. TV rearrangements and the general lack of respect the paying fans gets nowadays will lead to a falling away.
    Covid perhaps more then anything else, helped fans realize they don't need to go every game......

I have stated before of the reasons that my son and I have not renewed our season tickets but the recent steep increase in the cost of living does make me look hard at activities that require using a considerable quantity of fuel; a 130 mile round trip to a football match is one of them. I am fortunate in that I don’t find myself in financial difficulty but I am keeping an eye on things to make sure it stays that way. Unattractive football and Lai’s dereliction of the club isn’t going to lure me back other than for the odd game or two. I would have attended the Legends game had I not had a gig to play locally. Also, I find that many aspects of football these days is a turn off for me and currently I don’t feel that I would be much bothered if I don’t go to another game. Premier League is a ‘no interest at all’ thing for me now. Too many sports are now administered by money obsessed morons.
    Last edited by kettering_baggie; 27-09-2022 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Predictive text again

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    I have stated before of the reasons that my son and I have not renewed our season tickets but the recent steep increase in the cost of living does make me look hard at activities that require using a considerable quantity of fuel; a 130 mile round trip to a football match is one of them. I am fortunate in that I don’t find myself in financial difficulty but I am keeping an eye on things to make sure it stays that way. Unattractive football and Lai’s dereliction of the club isn’t going to lure me back other than for the odd game or two. I would have attended the Legends game had I not had a gig to play locally. Also, I find that many aspects of football these days is a turn off for me and currently I don’t feel that I would be much bothered if I don’t go to another game. Premier League is a ‘no interest at all’ thing for me now. Too many sports are now administered by money obsessed morons.

Could not agree with you more - same for me! England for the World Cup should send a message - all manager and player salaries/endorecements and any other financials to be donated to a designated food bank! These players do NOT need a penny so why wouldn't they do this?

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    My views completely covered here Kets.

There’s only one thing that’ll attract me back to Albion and that’s if my grandson becomes a fan.

He starts his first football lessons in two weeks time and I’m seriously considering buying him a Liverpool kit.

I’m not sure I should be inflicting Albion on him in the same way I did to my son.

Don't you think it's more of an age thing? I loved going to the Albion as a kid and young adult, I never missed a home game and went to most away games as well as the reserve's and youth matches.
    Football is hereditary, father takes son. Son takes his son.
    My grandad saw the likes of W.G. as well as Tommy Glidden he remembered the twenties and Jimmy Cookson. He took my dad and Uncle and my dad took me. But grandad had stopped going by the 1960's and we were still one of the top side's in the country.
    When we had another top side in the second half of the seventies and early eighties I knew many older Albion fan's who still followed the results but had stopped going.
    Now I have stopped and once you stop it's hard to go back. I would sooner spend a cold Saturday in front of the fire or in a cozy pub.
    The game and the thrills seems to fade as you get older, a bit like s ex. My point is if everyone kept going and took their kids and then those took their kid's the grounds in this country would all hold about 100,000.
    Another thing was that in grandads day people didn't travel very far, just walking distance or a bus ride. Grandad was a miner at Sandwell Colliery, and so it was obvious he would turn up at the Hawthorns.
    Today, with sky and good transport systems young people can choose a team like Liverpool or Manchester United and be there in a couple of hours.
    The outcome of this is that six clubs will become bigger and bigger at the cost of smaller clubs like us.
    Also the father to son family football heritage will be gone forever.

My dad didn’t take me to football, he disliked it, took me to rugby matches instead, Coventry and Moseley. He also took me to see Warwickshire rugby matches and Midland Counties games, now long gone. It was a neighbour in Halesowen that first took me to football, The Hawthorns, and I was quickly hooked! Over recent years, it’s been a case of son taking father, my son insisted on driving! So, until his son gets a bit older, it will only be the occasional match for him, too. Who knows what lies in store, though? The World might end and humanity wiped out; Lai won’t get his money back then!

My grandad and my dad were both very good footballers at amateur level and loved football.

They lost interest in watching it in their 50’s.

I think a lot of the over 40’s who go so avidly have a space in their lives that they need to fill.

It’s amazing how easy it is to give it up after the first few matches.

Actually I lie, it was easy, Pulis and Pardew made it easy for me.

Didn't attend the Brunt/Morrison game due to a prior commitment which I genuinely couldn't get out of. Nothing to do with Bruce, Lai or where we find ourselves in the table. It's a shame because it looked a good day.

Won't be attending Preston or Reading either. Rarely do midweek aways now due to the cost of getting back home from West Brom at stupid O'clock in the morning. Pity as I like Preston away of a weekend. Cheers Sky.

As for Reading it's a largely soulless bowl of a ground and not the best of away days. At the same time I've been to both Preston and Reading loads of times and it only seems like yesterday when I watched us beat the latter at their place anyway.

I'm not obliged to go and I've got nothing to prove to anyone in terms of attendance. I've put the miles and money in many times over. It doesn't mean I 'have' to. Not voting with feet, I'm voting with my wallet.

For me it's a cost and convenience issue as opposed to not loving the game or being disenchanted with the current regime. All things considered I'm saving my sheckles for Millwall on the train. Cracking Saturday away day for loads of reasons.

COYB 😎 .

Not so sure anybody's boycotting matches, I think that's just stirring it up.

So far this season we have had just one home game on a Saturday (via Hull) and it coincided with a Rail strike which is a real pain for me.
    The next 2 weekends we have home matches (Swansea then Luton), guess what, Rail strikes on both days.
    Without a season ticket it makes me think twice whether to go as it spoils the arrangements of meeting up in Brum for a good drink beforehand (and afterwards if the occasion warrants it).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)