+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interest Rates

RZ pretty much nails it
    Have a look at this link Stewarty

If you can leave it for a year without touching it you can get 4.1% gross from Newcastle BS as a 1 year investment bond- no withdrawals
    If you can leave a bit longer you can get a bit more, but locked in
    If you need access to cash there is a few that can give 1.8% to 2.5% with x amount of withdrawals a year or full unrestricted access

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sa...=11#easyaccess
    Last edited by KincorthDon; 28-09-2022 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Sorry D&D - didn’t notice you posted similar link

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Bloody capitalists.

Quote Originally Posted by KincorthDon View Post
    RZ pretty much nails it
    Have a look at this link Stewarty

If you can leave it for a year without touching it you can get 4.1% gross from Newcastle BS as a 1 year investment bond- no withdrawals
    If you can leave a bit longer you can get a bit more, but locked in
    If you need access to cash there is a few that can give 1.8% to 2.5% with x amount of withdrawals a year or full unrestricted access

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sa...=11#easyaccess
    Cheers KD.

Go out and buy some magic beans.
    I've heard you can get some crackers.
    Some of them grow magic money trees. Truss bought a bunch of them and now she can fund tax cuts with the crop, simple really.

I know that it's supposed to be the sensible thing to do but I can't say I've ever been tempted by 1.8% or whatever.

Spent my whole life being offered loans at 15% or worse.

It'll all be worth it when I'm an overnight success, which must be soon now.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Zone View Post
    The answer will depend on your circumstances.

1. Do you need access to the cash? If you do then best have it in some sort of instant access account. If you don't then you should consider tying it up in a fixed rate bond with a bank/building society. In broad terms you should be able to get somewhere in the 1.5%-2% range for an instant access account and somewhere in the 3%-3.5% range for a fixed rate bond depending on how long you tie it up for.

2. Do you need an ISA or is a non-ISA just as good? That largely depends on both your annual income as well as the amount of other savings you have. All basic rate taxpayers get a £1,000 per annum allowance for interest, which reduces to £500 if you are a higher rate taxpayer. If your interest income is less than the allowance there is no advantage to having an ISA, a normal bank/building society account will do just as good and may pay a slightly higher rate of interest than an ISA account. (If your income is less than the personal allowance then you can get £5,000 of interest allowance but I will assume that doesn't apply here).

For the sake of completeness the other option is to invest in some sort of unit trust, which is basically investing in shares or bonds. More potential upside than a building society account but equally a risk you lose some of your capital. With all the sh1t going on at the moment I wouldn't recommend this.

Hope that helps
    Spot on RZ. Also, don’t “go to the Bank” - interest rates are predicted to keep on rising in the short-term but won’t be nearly as much as current inflation rates, so it’s really about mitigating inflationary effects. The stock market has taken a battering in recent weeks but will rebound, I’m sure. It might therefore be seen by some as good value just now for that reason. It’s risky though but if you are able to take a long-term view it generally outperforms cash by a significant margin. Don’t act on this please as it’s just my personal thoughts - see a financial adviser, I’d suggest.

As noted above, Martin Lewis really is good for checking this sort of thing. Use his website which is updated frequently and also sign up to his newsletter, which gives some good ideas on both savings and savings in general on things like credit cards, utility bills, etc, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12