+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Why don't we shoot more?

Why don't we shoot more?

Very frustrating watching yesterday.

JBG hugged the right touchline during the first half but despite being in acres of space at times he was hardly used.Instead of going outside the ball was played back into the crowded midfield.However,on quite a few occasions there was an obvious
    chance of a shot created but we always wanted to make one more pass and the move broke down.

Second half after the subs came on we couldn't get out of the Cardiff half,their defenders pushed up and even with 5 minutes plus injury time left it was a case of when Cardiff scored and not "if" resulting in a very predictable draw.Kompany still has work to do.

I've only seen two minutes of highlights barrie, but others are saying the same as you on social media.

Glad I gave it a miss.

You have to remember that the modern game is based on possession. Scoring goals is no longer a priority, therefore, don't shoot at goal when you have a chance just pass it someone else and retain possession.

This season we have averaged 67% possession and scored 18 goals in picking up 18 points. We have had 141 efforts with 53 on goal.
    Our other promotion seasons were 2013/14 when, at the same stage, we had averaged 49% possession and scored 21 goals and had 23 points. At this stage we had also had 5 clean sheets. We had had 135 efforts on goal with 61 on target.
    In 2015/16 we had had 49% possession and scored 16 goals but had kept 3 clean sheets in amassing 21 points. We had had 128 efforts on goal with 54 on target.

Overall we have had 18% more possession this season compared to the other two, however, we have not turned this into goals, however, the fans find it pleasing to watch so everyone should be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    You have to remember that the modern game is based on possession. Scoring goals is no longer a priority, therefore, don't shoot at goal when you have a chance just pass it someone else and retain possession.

This season we have averaged 67% possession and scored 18 goals in picking up 18 points. We have had 141 efforts with 53 on goal.
    Our other promotion seasons were 2013/14 when, at the same stage, we had averaged 49% possession and scored 21 goals and had 23 points. At this stage we had also had 5 clean sheets. We had had 135 efforts on goal with 61 on target.
    In 2015/16 we had had 49% possession and scored 16 goals but had kept 3 clean sheets in amassing 21 points. We had had 128 efforts on goal with 54 on target.

Overall we have had 18% more possession this season compared to the other two, however, we have not turned this into goals, however, the fans find it pleasing to watch so everyone should be happy.
    Thanks for the stats Sub.It is pleasing to watch but only if there is an end result which we seem unable to produce at the moment.I think we will be in transition this year and if Vinny knows what he is doing then in 2023 we should be better in the final third especially when Twine gets fit.
    What worried me watching the game yesterday was that there was no urgency to put the game to bed once in front or get a winner once Cardiff equalised.We also seem lightweight in some of our challenges and we clearly lack a leader in the team.
    Still on a good unbeaten run though so we should have patience.
    Last edited by ClaretinBudapest; 02-10-2022 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretinBudapest View Post
    Thanks for the stats Sub.It is pleasing to watch but only if there is an end result which we seem unable to produce at the moment.I think we will be in transition this year and if Vinny knows what he is doing then in 2023 we should be better in the final third especially when Twine gets fit.
    What worried me watching the game yesterday was that there was no urgency to put the game to bed once in front or get a winner once Cardiff equalised.
    Still on a good unbeaten run though so we should have patience.
    There are two games when we have registered less than 11 shots at goal. These were yesterday with 8 shots and just 2 on target and the other was at Wigan where, surprisingly, we had just 8 attempts with 6 on target and scored 5 goals. Work that one out! lol

Just a little aside.As I was leaving I was delayed for a short while close to where the stadium cleaners were waiting to start.The senior one came over and showed me his badge."Look at the name he said" - Mcillroy.

Jimmy was the uncle of his father and although his father never returned to Ireland they were beginning a family tree.It also appears that Rory
    Mcillroy is from the same area as the family were originally from.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)