+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonner gives knock back

Quote Originally Posted by Derbymiller View Post
    I would agree with that, but the club needs to be more aware that this will happen and be sure not to make offers that are very likely to be refused, it wastes time and makes us look silly. Nobody that is in a job outside of league 2 will come to us, we won't offer enough and the risk of failure is too high. So expect a compromise selection, someone that is out of work or has an association with the club already.

sounds like Artell with perhaps Wood and/or Peltier brought into the management regime?

though Matt Taylor may want a new challenge, perhaps taken Exeter about as far as he thinks is possible?

He might bring Jamal Blackman with him?

Quote Originally Posted by Timbertop View Post
    He might bring Jamal Blackman with him?
    Pleeeeeease no!

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Putting himself in the shop window for the future?

Going through the motions of an interview at a bigger club for the experience?

Seeing what others are willing to offer him and just biding his time?

Agents looking what's best for them, agents I'm on about.
    Not a very clever strategy though is it?
    Clubs would become very wary of him if he gained a self-inflicted reputation of being a serial job applicant and then saying "no."

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Putting himself in the shop window for the future?

Going through the motions of an interview at a bigger club for the experience?

Seeing what others are willing to offer him and just biding his time?

Agents looking what's best for them, agents I'm on about.
    I seem to think Dean Smith used us a few years ago, when we were looking for another manager and he was at Walsall.
    I seem to remember he came for an interview with no intention of taking the job and it made Walsall offer him better terms to stay, unless my mind is playing tricks, which at my age could definitely be. UTM

Quote Originally Posted by Derbymiller View Post
    I would agree with that, but the club needs to be more aware that this will happen and be sure not to make offers that are very likely to be refused, it wastes time and makes us look silly. Nobody that is in a job outside of league 2 will come to us, we won't offer enough and the risk of failure is too high. So expect a compromise selection, someone that is out of work or has an association with the club already.
    I think PW has made himself a difficult act to follow regarding how far he has taken us under current financial constraints.
    Obviously the challenge for whoever comes in would be to keep us in the championship with this very talented (for us anyway) squad of players we have but now PW has gone we could lose one or 2 of our more important players in january but we'll worry about that as and when the time arrives.
    I cant see why Ainsworth would leave Wycombe to come to us but Matt Taylor, who has been mentioned, from Exeter would be an interesting one.
    Good luck to Mark Bonner if he has turned us down to stay at Cambridge and I hope it works out for him, I would think they are a club that would be capable of doing what we have done in recent seasons if they back him. UTM

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Not a very clever strategy though is it?
    Clubs would become very wary of him if he gained a self-inflicted reputation of being a serial job applicant and then saying "no."
    Yes it's a dangerous strategy all round. There's some interesting comments on the Cambridge forum, one saying that Cambs fans are notoriously fickle and Bonner is only ever 3-4 games away from having them on his back. Also if, as one or two think, they are already "punching above their weight" in L1, Bonner's star may be shining as brightly as it ever will right now. If they don't keep up with the hectic pace at the top of L1 (and we know how difficult that can be!) they could well fade out of the picture and with it Bonner's better opportunities.

If Bonner had any sense he’ll have had a natter with Warne and that,with the obvious financial restrictions,will probably have put him off.

Ex Cambridge fan here, i say ex because Cambridge are as corrupt as it can be. Bonner shortens the touchlines significantly, and shortens the pitch, and fills the team with defensive midfielders. Plays long ball mostly. His games are mad scrambles in midfield, full of effort and little else. Having said that he can manage.

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post
    Ex Cambridge fan here, i say ex because Cambridge are as corrupt as it can be. Bonner shortens the touchlines significantly, and shortens the pitch, and fills the team with defensive midfielders. Plays long ball mostly. His games are mad scrambles in midfield, full of effort and little else. Having said that he can manage.
    Didn't see that when he played us off the park last year!

Don’t remember Cambridge playing us off the park. Remember us still having enough to get past them when not at our best on 3 occasions though.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast