+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Kevin Hetherington

Kevin Hetherington

So sorry to hear about Kevin. A really great guy and a great player.

As I've said many times, - the relationship between constantly heading a football and Alzheimers Disease is now beyond reasonable doubt.

It is time for the footballing authorities to acknowledge this fact and for the wearing of appropriate cushioned head gear to be brought in, - which will assist in reducing head injuries (due to a clash of heads) and also from concussion. The alternative, - is of course for heading to be banned!

It's too late for Kevin and many others, - but a line needs to be drawn in the sand now and for every step to be taken to avoid this avoidable condition from occurring in the future. Perhaps Kevin could take this argument forward, - and fight the case like Doddie Wear is doing for MND?

It's a highly emotive subject, which I fear the authorities are choosing to ignore, - but once the lawyers get on board they could wipe out the game with historic pay-outs, - hence the reason why we must have a starting point and an acceptance that (like boxing) heading a ball causes the brain to strike the cranium and over time will cause neurological damage.

A sad day for one of Queen's greatest players.

A real shame for Kevin who was a couple of years below me at school but even then it was clear he would become a professional football. Some of the balls back then were closer to medicine balls than footballs especially when they got wet compared to now so hopefully this is not such an issue with today's footballers but this does need to be investigated.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    So sorry to hear about Kevin. A really great guy and a great player.

As I've said many times, - the relationship between constantly heading a football and Alzheimers Disease is now beyond reasonable doubt.

It is time for the footballing authorities to acknowledge this fact and for the wearing of appropriate cushioned head gear to be brought in, - which will assist in reducing head injuries (due to a clash of heads) and also from concussion. The alternative, - is of course for heading to be banned!

It's too late for Kevin and many others, - but a line needs to be drawn in the sand now and for every step to be taken to avoid this avoidable condition from occurring in the future. Perhaps Kevin could take this argument forward, - and fight the case like Doddie Wear is doing for MND?

It's a highly emotive subject, which I fear the authorities are choosing to ignore, - but once the lawyers get on board they could wipe out the game with historic pay-outs, - hence the reason why we must have a starting point and an acceptance that (like boxing) heading a ball causes the brain to strike the cranium and over time will cause neurological damage.

A sad day for one of Queen's greatest players.
    I think i am correct in saying the USA banned under 10s from heading the ball about 7 years ago and, hopefully, its been rolled out all over the world as it has been proved time and again that it causes severs brain problems.

One of the players I remember from when I first watched Queens...

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)