+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remembrance Sunday.

Unhappy Remembrance Sunday.

Very disappointed with the EFL, SKY and Burnley & Blackburn for organising our most famous derby to kick-off at 12 noon on Remembrance Sunday.

Our family on both sides is steeped in military service and I am simply morally and personally obliged to attend the Remembrance Sunday service in Bolton.

My two grandfathers served in the First World War with distinction and succumbed to injuries sustained in what became very shortened life spans.

We even have a permanent Poppy Garden in a sacred corner to honour them.

I really would like to attend the game but sometimes things are bigger than a game of football.

Definitely agree BT,no games should have kicked off before 3pm ..Another case of Sky ruling the football.

Totally agree BT and alf. The last thing on my mind will be a game of football as my wife and I pay our respects in London.

I have a very different view to Life and death!. Living our lives ,I see it as a movement along a pathway.(by the way its 4.30 am here what woke me up? Then what comes out of my mind ,goodness knows ??)

What happens when a person dies? Is there anything after life? Is there a previous life prior to our existence in this body? These are questions which are inevitably asked when we begin to search for an understanding of our place in the universe. Lets think of of in terms of Action -Reaction.
    In the physical realm there is a well known law: for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the mental sphere there is a similar law at work. For example, if Mr A hits Mr B, perhaps Mr B will respond immediately hitting Mr A with a force equal to the first punch. In this case the action was followed by an immediate reaction causing Mr A to suffer a pain equal to that which he inflicted on Mr B.
    Whenever we make an action, our mind is distorted and when we experience the reaction, our mind returns to the original state and we feel either pleasure or pain depending on the nature of the original action. Many times, the process of action and reaction works like this. There is an action and immediately following it the person experiences the reaction. If there has been no change of time, place and person the reaction will be equal in strength to the original action.

According to the law of action and reaction we must experience the result of every action, and each day we are certainly experiencing pleasure and pain as the different impressions of the mind caused by previous actions which according to Indian philosophy become ripe and express themselves. If one were to die at a moment when all previous reactive momenta (samskaras) are exhausted and no new samskaras have been created, then the mind will be in a pure state and would merge in the cosmic consciousness. This state of permanent merger is known in Sanskrit as moksha.
    In reality, however, it is very difficult to exhaust all the samskaras and not create new samskaras in the process. Whenever we perform an action with the thought, “I am doing this action” an impression is made on the mind. So in most cases when a person dies, he or she still has many reactions in potential form which have yet to be experienced. What will happen in such a case? The reactions must be experienced but there is no longer any physical body. So another body will be needed and the mind must take another birth.
    In order to understand the process of rebirth it is necessary to understand what is life. Life is a parallelism between mind and body. There is a particular wavelength associated with the body, and there is a particular wavelength associated with the mind. Just as in modern physics, that this entire universe is in vibration and that the vibrations are of varying wavelengths. There is a particular wavelength associated with our body and there is a particular wavelength associated with our mind. When these wavelengths are parallel we have life. However, if something happens to the physical body such as an accident or sickness, the physical wavelength may change and the parallelism may be lost. In this case we have what is known as the physical cause of death.
    There is one more element that we must examine before we can fully understand the process of life, death and rebirth. In every living being there is not only a physical body and not only a mind, but also an “Atman” or unit of witnessing consciousness. This witnessing consciousness is the ultimate witness of the mind and is the source of the “I feeling” in the statement “I know that I exist.” The “I” which verifies the existence of the three functional parts of the mind is known as the Atman, in Sanskrit. It is the imperishable unit of consciousness and is the key to unlocking the mystery of life, death and rebirth.

All well and good Balan, but as previously mentioned my paternal grandfather served as a stretcher bearer/medic on the Somme for four years and came home. My maternal grandfather was awarded the DCM for gallantry in France and then mentioned in despatches for his service on the Dardanelles campaign.
    Both were badly wounded and although they returned home unlike millions of others their lives were effectively ended, ill health and poverty consumed them both in the end.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them."

There is no mystery Balan, they fought for King and Country and paid the price.
    On Sunday 12th November we will remember them.
    Last edited by The Bedlington Terrier; 01-10-2022 at 12:23 PM.

Life must go on, it doesn't have any bearing on the actual service at 11 am. I am quite content, quite pleased really, I can get to the war memorial and be back home in time to watch the game. Thank you Mr Murdoch.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Life must go on, it doesn't have any bearing on the actual service at 11 am. I am quite content, quite pleased really, I can get to the war memorial and be back home in time to watch the game. Thank you Mr Murdoch.
    I think this post just about sums up the "me-me" attitude of your average run-of-the mill Tory voter. A 3 o'clock kick off might not have antagonised thousands of Burnley & Blackburn fans or appeared that Murdoch does not give a f*ck about anything other than profit, but capitalism and corporate greed will win any day of the week.

To the 850 Accrington Pals who died in the service of their country of which some 530 are buried at cemeteries in France and Belgium and 24 at cemeteries in England and Wales I say, "R.I.P. brave warriors, we will remember you" and the EFL and SKY can stick their schedule where the sun doesn't shine.

Enough said...

Attachment 22633

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Enough said...

Attachment 22633
    Not too many subjects I agree with you on BT - about as rare as the rocking horse stuff you so often refer to - but I do on this occasion. My maternal grandfather (d1922) and a great uncle (d1918) succumbed to injuries received in the Great War and a distant cousin was lost on HMS Hood when she exploded on 24 May 1941. I completely echo the sentiments of Andrew Stephenson MP. Particularly at this time when the threat of war looms over all of us. Where is the FA Respect Campaign in this? Entirely absent it seems.

Same here,I agree with you BT,which is very unusual.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)