+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 90 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Ukraine [Incorporating 'Congrats to Russia' thread]

O/T:- Ukraine [Incorporating 'Congrats to Russia' thread]

So, any thoughts on what’s going to happen now after Putin‘s speech and recognition of the breakaway regions in Ukraine?
    Last edited by SwalePie; 06-10-2022 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Corrected Off Topic prefix

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    So, any thoughts on what’s going to happen now after Putin‘s speech and recognition of the breakaway regions in Ukraine?
    I really hope the situation does not escalate, but Putin did annexe Crimea.

So if Russian troops occupy the secessionist regions, what will the west do? Surely a military response is out of the question?

Can’t believe the number of far right and far left who’ve been acting as Putin apologists. His speech tonight was unhinged. The US or Nato getting involved is out of the question but it’s a worry about where he’ll stop.

Simply and selfishly very glad I live in Australia. As above it is a worry where he will stop. He's a very very scary individual. That's my insightful political foresight out there for all to see.

Very dangerous individual. Trying to restore the USSR?

He's been allowed to get away with so much before that this has always been on the cards, although I have to say I think Biden has dealt with this difficult situation reasonably well - sounding firm without sounding bellicose, just exposing Putin's lies.

Problem is what to do about it - if he doesn't meet any resistance he'll take more territory than his rebels have already taken from Ukraine, and if Ukraine tries to retake/protect its own territory Putin will say it's a form of aggression, and will use that as an excuse to keep going and take even more territory. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    He's been allowed to get away with so much before that this has always been on the cards, although I have to say I think Biden has dealt with this difficult situation reasonably well - sounding firm without sounding bellicose, just exposing Putin's lies.

Problem is what to do about it - if he doesn't meet any resistance he'll take more territory than his rebels have already taken from Ukraine, and if Ukraine tries to retake/protect its own territory Putin will say it's a form of aggression, and will use that as an excuse to keep going and take even more territory. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.
    That is exactly what Putin is doing, hopes Ukraine responds in those areas with force so he can send in his troops to 'defend his people'. He won't be happy until he's got the Soviet Union back.
    The problem for him is he doesn't want nato on his borders but they will probably reinforce their weaponry in countries like Poland.

Don't know why Putin is bothered about Nato, waste of space, Yugoslavia prime example. Crimea, let him just waltz in, alright may have an element of Russia but the bottom line was it was part of Ukraine
    Sanctions waste of space. Not stopped N Korea
    The West needs to send a load of bombers over there now, will make him have 2nd thoughts as most ordinary Russians don't want a war with Ukraine
    Last edited by irishpete; 22-02-2022 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Don't know why Putin is bothered about Nato, waste of space, Yugoslavia prime example. Crimea, let him just waltz in, alright may have an element of Russia but the bottom line was it was part of Ukraine
    Sanctions waste of space. Not stopped N Korea
    The West needs to send a load of bombers over there now, will make him have 2nd thoughts as most ordinary Russians don't want a war with Ukraine
    So to be clear you are advocating that the west bombs a nuclear power? Putin has the west by the balls and he knows it. The reality is that there can be statements and sanctions but they 'aint gonna send any troops in. And statements and sanctions won't stop them or it already would have. Empty gestures from the west who are in reality completely clueless and fairly powerless. Russia can do what it wants in this position and it knows it and it is doing exactly that.

Page 1 of 90 1231151 ... LastLast