+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Post match thoughts

Post match thoughts

There was an absence, particularly in the first half, of any desire to close down and press Swansea’s possession.
    It seemed almost a purposeful tactic to allow them to maintain their short and well managed style. On the few occasions we ‘pressed’ we forced errors. On the other hand, Swansea did not allow our players any time and energetically closed players down. Surely Swansea’s style would have been analysed?

Sadly another below par performance and essentially a dreadful start again conceding an early goal. We lacked commitment until the second half.

Too many costly individual errors with non of our players impressing.
    Button, despite a point blank save in the opening minutes, was at fault and time now to rest him.
    Pieters steady but looked not quite 100% fit ?
    Furlong disappointed and, other than the long throws, was caught out of position to often.
    Townsend, always willing, looked shaky at CH
    O’Shea was committed and did the basics, but needs an experience CH alongside.
    Swift, Rogic, Livermore struggled to get a hold in the midfield, albeit the latter was the pick.
    Grady and Wallace threatened but lacked the final pass.
    Asante was lively and a handful. Shame Grant stole the penalty opportunity.
    Whilst Grant has scored many penalties it is time for him to stand down. I would have more accepted his miss had he ‘leathered’ it.
    We really do need a run of wins !

It’s so strange. The sky reporter said that we dominated the game. We can play the best but can’t buy a win. There’s something not right at this club, and it seems to have been a problem for years now, whatever manager we have. I wouldn’t want to manage this club and I wouldn’t want to play for it either. The players for years now have a tendency to think that teams will just roll over when we go in front, and of course they never will. They want to win as well.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    It’s so strange. The sky reporter said that we dominated the game. We can play the best but can’t buy a win. There’s something not right at this club, and it seems to have been a problem for years now, whatever manager we have. I wouldn’t want to manage this club and I wouldn’t want to play for it either. The players for years now have a tendency to think that teams will just roll over when we go in front, and of course they never will. They want to win as well.
    I share this view boingy buddy, also believing that ‘something is not right’ at the Club. Certainly the Chinese ownership is a common denominator within our demise. Whilst Peace was not popular, we knew where we stood with him, and to be fair, he was prepared to address the fans.

The knee jerk manager/head coach replacements also reflects this underlying issue you allude to. Additionally, I wonder whether there is now indeed a reluctance of players seems to join when they have other options. Certainly the academy players moving away seems to mirror this ?

Understandably the fans are dissatisfied and have turned on the owner, manager and now players. Sadly many of the latter have not helped themselves with non spirited performances.

I not sure there is a realistic short term fix. A replacement for Bruce may bring a ‘bounce’, but there is an accumulation of issues to address.

I’m confident that we will avoid relegation, but expecting to be a Championship Club whilst we endeavour to have a complete rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Prando View Post
    I share this view boingy buddy, also believing that ‘something is not right’ at the Club. Certainly the Chinese ownership is a common denominator within our demise. Whilst Peace was not popular, we knew where we stood with him, and to be fair, he was prepared to address the fans.

The knee jerk manager/head coach replacements also reflects this underlying issue you allude to. Additionally, I wonder whether there is now indeed a reluctance of players seems to join when they have other options. Certainly the academy players moving away seems to mirror this ?

Understandably the fans are dissatisfied and have turned on the owner, manager and now players. Sadly many of the latter have not helped themselves with non spirited performances.

I not sure there is a realistic short term fix. A replacement for Bruce may bring a ‘bounce’, but there is an accumulation of issues to address.

I’m confident that we will avoid relegation, but expecting to be a Championship Club whilst we endeavour to have a complete rebuild.
    "I’m confident that we will avoid relegation, but expecting to be a Championship Club whilst we endeavour to have a complete rebuild".

100% agree with this Prando.

I am not confident that we will avoid League One. If an organisation is rotten at the top (in our case, Lai), any organisation, the despondency trickles down to all levels. I believe that is the case at The Albion. Everyone is dispirited, players included, so they don’t ‘bust a gut’ every match. I am convinced that there are many players, not just at our club by any means, that aren’t that bothered about football, they happen to be good at it and have found that they can earn a bloody good living at it; so they lose a match, so what? In our case, I would put Zohore and Grant in that category, maybe Diangana too. Bruce is clearly unable to lift the gloom and under the present club management, I’m not sure that anyone can. LAI MUST GO.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    I am not confident that we will avoid League One. If an organisation is rotten at the top (in our case, Lai), any organisation, the despondency trickles down to all levels. I believe that is the case at The Albion. Everyone is dispirited, players included, so they don’t ‘bust a gut’ every match. I am convinced that there are many players, not just at our club by any means, that aren’t that bothered about football, they happen to be good at it and have found that they can earn a bloody good living at it; so they lose a match, so what? In our case, I would put Zohore and Grant in that category, maybe Diangana too. Bruce is clearly unable to lift the gloom and under the present club management, I’m not sure that anyone can. LAI MUST GO.
    I can understand that viewpoint Ketts. Still think we will be mid table at worst but you are right as time goes on without positivity/good results it will be a battle.

I always used to feel positive about Albion even when criticising certain aspects of the club, whether on or off the field. However, at this moment in time, I am very despondent and a have great fear for our future. You are all correct, the problem stems from the top and while Lai is still the owner of our club we are going to be in trouble. Somehow, I haven't a clue how it can be done, we must rid ourselves of this man!

Some brief observations on the game. I think we desperately need a commanding centre half. This would have been the perfect opportunity for Caleb Taylor to get first team experience! Some bright spark loaned him out! Kelly was on the bench so I hope he can play against Preston.
    I thought in the midst of the carnage that Assante was promising. He puts himself about, can hold the ball up and has speed. Wallace and Diagana were just about ok.
    Button terrible for the first goal. You can see why he hasn't been a regular first choice for any team.
    Defence and midfield were hopeless. We need Okay back in the team. He would have closed down their second goal rather than backing off. I am willing to give Rogic the benefit of the doubt as he isn't match fit. I still can't get my head around what Livermore contributes despite his rare goal. Defensively, I thought we would be ok this season but without Ajayi we are terrible. Furlong teases by playing one quite good game and then plays two shockers. Quite obviously Townsend is not a centre half. Pieters may be ok at left back.
    When we have a fully fit squad and another transfer window, we should have the makings of a decent team. I just checked the prices at the bookies hoping for some big prices given our results. Unbelievably we are 6/5 to make the top 6 and 10/3 to get promoted. At those prices I won't have an interest.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)