+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Button, Furlong and Townsend

Button, Furlong and Townsend

Surely to God - these three players should go nowhere near the first team against Preston.

Townsend constantly caught out of position - Button about the worst keeper ever seen and NOBODY could convince me Furlong is better than TGH, Furlong has been a complete liability every game!

Why the hell would Bruce have let Grant take that penalty - he’s got zero desire and heart. Asante should be the penalty taken after that Blues penalty!

Bruce picks the team so his fault and why to God he sticks with Phillips and Reach on the bench too - they provide nothing!

Wallace far far better player than Swift too and for me - Swift has gone missing in far too many games!

I have to say I am really surprised about Swift. He and Wallace were the 2 signings I thought we did so well to get (makes a change).

He has been bang average for me for most of the games and only occasionally showing anything.

Nothing to do with hindsight but I said Grant was not the answer when we signed him and I couldn’t believe the money we were reported to have paid for him.

Furlong and Townsend were great for us in the Prem, which is why I think there’s more going on here. Their levels have dropped. Button is a weak keeper. Bad choice for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    I have to say I am really surprised about Swift. He and Wallace were the 2 signings I thought we did so well to get (makes a change).

He has been bang average for me for most of the games and only occasionally showing anything.

Nothing to do with hindsight but I said Grant was not the answer when we signed him and I couldn’t believe the money we were reported to have paid for him.

You are 100% correct Yarm!

How many times have I said on here that football is a childishly simple game, ruined by coaches who have more badges than brains?
    If you are building a side you start with the spine, so keeper, CB, striker, then you add the flesh to it.
    We signed midfielders and wide men and completely ignored the three key positions.
    Let's not forget that Button was never signed to be our first choice keeper, he was never number one at Brighton, he was signed as a backup to the great Sam Johnstone who is currently warming the bench at Palace. IMO neither Johnstone or Button are as good as what Keily and Myhill were.
    If you think of the side just a few years ago, the spine consisted of Foster, Olsson and Odemwingie. Now it's Button, Bartley, and Grant.
    Badges? I ain't got no badges, we don't need no badges, I don't have to show you any stinking badges.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    How many times have I said on here that football is a childishly simple game, ruined by coaches who have more badges than brains?
    If you are building a side you start with the spine, so keeper, CB, striker, then you add the flesh to it.
    We signed midfielders and wide men and completely ignored the three key positions.
    Let's not forget that Button was never signed to be our first choice keeper, he was never number one at Brighton, he was signed as a backup to the great Sam Johnstone who is currently warming the bench at Palace. IMO neither Johnstone or Button are as good as what Keily and Myhill were.
    If you think of the side just a few years ago, the spine consisted of Foster, Olsson and Odemwingie. Now it's Button, Bartley, and Grant.
    Badges? I ain't got no badges, we don't need no badges, I don't have to show you any stinking badges.
    spot on there.love him or hate him Brian clough best manager England never had..always said get the best keeper best centre half (old fashion word I know now) best striker and your almost there.in one book I read about clough was that he said strikers score you goals defenders win you matches.food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by albion68 View Post
    spot on there.love him or hate him Brian clough best manager England never had..always said get the best keeper best centre half (old fashion word I know now) best striker and your almost there.in one book I read about clough was that he said strikers score you goals defenders win you matches.food for thought.

Totally agree:
    Button wins matches for the opposition
    Bartley is a useless t wat and blames others
    Grant wins the award for no desire and no heart!

I have to agree regarding the three Button, Townsend and Furlong. Current form relegates them to the bench, where I would hope they would be challenging to regain their place.
    Townsend, to be fair is out of position at CH, notwithstanding he is a better option than Bartley. Surely Ashworth warrants consideration ?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)