+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the new Levelling up!

the new Levelling up!

Cant but agree that there remains massive waste-fullness when it comes to public spending (as discussed on a previous thread) but Simon Clarke's recent comments about proposed cuts in benefits and the welfare state do not bode well.

The Tories, by nature, are anti-"Big government" but these proposals will impact mostly on the poorer sections of society and yet the estimated £50-40 billion savings will surely be used to help cover the loss in revenue from the tax cuts. Effectively, the poorer will now help pay for tax cuts that overwhelmingly benefit the better off. The irony is that Clarke is the new minister for levelling up.

Certainly there needs to be a far more vigorous system in place to root out "benefit cheats" and those who play the system, but many thousands genuinely rely on the help and financial support of the state. Moreover, the Tories have overseen a period when it has become increasingly hard to find decently paid full-time work (so many companies now just want part time) and this has been mostly as a result of their policies and attitudes. The concept of "trickle down" economics is aptly named as any benefits felt by those at the bottom will indeed be a trickle at best.

Meanwhile, Truss continues with her Maggie-esque "not for turning" impersonation-a sham turn that increasingly looks to be more a sign of desperation and delusion than of strength. Doubtless she will persist in this despite what will likely be another car-crash interview with her on the Kuenssberg show today.

So many good points Ome.

I sent my Tory MP a longish email earlier this week about how immoral it was to expect people on average or lower wages to accept what was proposed and ultimately subsidise the wealthy who don’t need the support.

I argued, and still do, that if they wanted to be radical as Truss says then surely the fairer way would have been to adjust the tax free threshold which would have benefited all paying tax, no matter what rate. If they increased the level by say £1500 it would have benefitted EVERY tax payer to the tune of £300, whether they earner £20,000, £100,000 or £1,000,000. It would also take many lower paid out of the tax system.

If we really say as Truss does that the criteria for change is growth then surely this system enables everyone to have a chance to either cope better through the winter and to contribute to the economy. Giving extra untold money to the richer few is not a strategy for growth at all in my opinion. They are more likely to invest overseas or in say expensive foreign cars etc. Youare also relying on a few to benefit the majority and surely they don’t need a 5% reduction in tax as much as those paid more modest, or lower, wages.

I am behind the red wall and as I said to my local MP in the email, I don’t always vote for you but unless there is a U turn on the top date then he can forget about my vote at the next election. I also know from talking to others that he will need to be looking for a new job soon because policies like these are not acceptable to us behind the red wall.

Certainly agree with you there! Adjustments in the tax threshold should have been the way to go as it would still give financial benefits to help stimulate growth whilst also being much fairer.

I don’t like scroungers and let’s be clear about this, there are plenty of them.

We probably all know of families where most of them have never done a days work in their lives.

I’ll give you an example of this type of scum.

My father is in long term care and nearly 93 years old, worked physically hard all of his life and was a terrific saver.

Five years ago when him and my late mother in law went into care my wife and her sister decided to rent the house out at £1000 a month to help cover his now £1000 a week care costs.

First lot of tenants were absolutely fine.

The second lot not so even though they were found and managed by a local estate agent.

So get this!

It was clear her dad’s savings would run out during 2024 so last November the correct procedure was involved through the agent and the tenants were requested to vacate in a two month period, this is called a Section 21 Notice.

When you sign up to rent a property this is fully explained to you, it’s just standard procedure.

As soon as the notice was served these b a s t a r d s stopped paying their rent!

This meant solicitors and the courts then had to come into play but my wife had to wait until July of this year to get a court hearing.

On the day of the hearing the tenant turned up at court and announced she had Covid which resulted in her being ushered from the building and the car being adjourned.......she wasn’t even tested, it was just a blatant delaying tactic.

The next hearing is not until mid November and thus this is another 4 months with no money coming in!

Meanwhile, this woman and her partner and kids aged around 21 and 19 sit on their a r s e s claiming benefits and according to the neighbours, having takeaways delivered every day!

Two brand new cars including a Volvo 4x4 paid for by mobility sit on the drive.

I know for a fact they also get money from a charity due to a supposed illness her daughter has/had yet said daughter posts on FB about “being out on the p I s s” when she’s allegedly “vulnerable” according to her fat b I t c h of a crook of a mum!

So they fleece the state and they fleece a charity and pocket all of the money and leave a 93 year old man with the very real possibility of the local council putting a charge on his house.

To cap all of this off, we subsequently found out that these people pulled off this same stunt at a previous rental house and that legal case is still unresolved and has cost the landlord £20k to this point.

My father in law has lost around £16k to this point with much more to come as a barrister is having to be brought in for November’s hearing, I reckon he’ll be £25k down by the time this is sorted.

The law constantly over protects tenants in cases like this, don’t believe everything you hear from these housing groups about bad landlords, there are more bad tenants than bad landlords, I can assure you of that!

Back to the original point though, there are plenty of scum like these people absolutely rinsing the system.

The problem with this latest Truss gem is that this sort of reform is notorious in hurting the innocent and needy claimants and not affecting the rogues.

It’s like the immigration promises, a load of red meat to appeal to the public.

I’ve no faith in anything she has to say.

I just hope Labour are measured and fair when they come in to power and don’t decide to kick those of us in business.

10 people rely on me for a job yet I could close down and rent out my buildings for £60k a year and have no stress.

This is becoming increasingly tempting and bad government will accelerate this option.

We had a rental property until a few years ago, when the tenant decided to leave, she had been there for 10 trouble free years, we decided that the time was right to sell. We would have had to spend quite a lot of money on maintenance before putting a new tenant in place and we felt very lucky to have had such a trouble free time for ten years. Hearing of a few horror stories regarding difficult tenants, we decided to sell up and take the profit on the increased house value. What a good decision that was! I hope you get it sorted quickly, Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I don’t like scroungers and let’s be clear about this, there are plenty of them.

We probably all know of families where most of them have never done a days work in their lives.

My father is in long term care and nearly 93 years old, worked physically hard all of his life and was a terrific saver.

Five years ago when him and my late mother in law went into care my wife and her sister decided to rent the house out at £1000 a month to help cover his now £1000 a week care costs.

The second lot not so even though they were found and managed by a local estate agent.

So get this!

It was clear her dad’s savings would run out during 2024 so last November the correct procedure was involved through the agent and the tenants were requested to vacate in a two month period, this is called a Section 21 Notice.

When you sign up to rent a property this is fully explained to you, it’s just standard procedure.

As soon as the notice was served these b a s t a r d s stopped paying their rent!

This meant solicitors and the courts then had to come into play but my wife had to wait until July of this year to get a court hearing.

On the day of the hearing the tenant turned up at court and announced she had Covid which resulted in her being ushered from the building and the car being adjourned.......she wasn’t even tested, it was just a blatant delaying tactic.

The next hearing is not until mid November and thus this is another 4 months with no money coming in!

Meanwhile, this woman and her partner and kids aged around 21 and 19 sit on their a r s e s claiming benefits and according to the neighbours, having takeaways delivered every day!

I know for a fact they also get money from a charity due to a supposed illness her daughter has/had yet said daughter posts on FB about “being out on the p I s s” when she’s allegedly “vulnerable” according to her fat b I t c h of a crook of a mum!

So they fleece the state and they fleece a charity and pocket all of the money and leave a 93 year old man with the very real possibility of the local council putting a charge on his house.

To cap all of this off, we subsequently found out that these people pulled off this same stunt at a previous rental house and that legal case is still unresolved and has cost the landlord £20k to this point.

My father in law has lost around £16k to this point with much more to come as a barrister is having to be brought in for November’s hearing, I reckon he’ll be £25k down by the time this is sorted.

The law constantly over protects tenants in cases like this, don’t believe everything you hear from these housing groups about bad landlords, there are more bad tenants than bad landlords, I can assure you of that!

Back to the original point though, there are plenty of scum like these people absolutely rinsing the system.

The problem with this latest Truss gem is that this sort of reform is notorious in hurting the innocent and needy claimants and not affecting the rogues.

I just hope Labour are measured and fair when they come in to power and don’t decide to kick those of us in business.

10 people rely on me for a job yet I could close down and rent out my buildings for £60k a year and have no stress.

This is becoming increasingly tempting and bad government will accelerate this option.

A few points Mick if this were me

1. The tenants wouldn’t be there if it were me as I would pay a source to break bones if they didn’t vacate.

2. If renting out your building is less stressful and more financially viable for you - do it!! You can’t be the mother of all these people and need to look after number 1

3. Kids have to stand on their own two feet and can’t be reliant on parents financially as where does it stop. I know somebody who cuts back on everything including holidays so he can leave his kids a nest egg! Everyone to their own but he’s a stupid p rick and not enjoying his own life to the full!

Do consider number 1. 100% what I would do as would help anyone but for me there’s a line which nobody crosses!

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post

So get this!

That's all well and good and yes there are people who haven't done a days work in their lives and never intend to , it's not a new thing either .

Here's the thing , would you employ any of these people if the taxpayer didn't support them ?

The vast majority of these people are totally unemployable , drug dependency , thieves and couldn't so much as be relied upon to sweep the factory floor .

What about the affect it would have on your staff ? , who'd want to work alongside these people ? , nobody would and they'd leave in their droves if they had to .

So really nobody wins do they .

Better off giving them the minimum and out of my working life if you ask me .

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    So many good points Ome.

I sent my Tory MP a longish email earlier this week about how immoral it was to expect people on average or lower wages to accept what was proposed and ultimately subsidise the wealthy who don’t need the support.

I argued, and still do, that if they wanted to be radical as Truss says then surely the fairer way would have been to adjust the tax free threshold which would have benefited all paying tax, no matter what rate. If they increased the level by say £1500 it would have benefitted EVERY tax payer to the tune of £300, whether they earner £20,000, £100,000 or £1,000,000. It would also take many lower paid out of the tax system.

If we really say as Truss does that the criteria for change is growth then surely this system enables everyone to have a chance to either cope better through the winter and to contribute to the economy. Giving extra untold money to the richer few is not a strategy for growth at all in my opinion. They are more likely to invest overseas or in say expensive foreign cars etc. Youare also relying on a few to benefit the majority and surely they don’t need a 5% reduction in tax as much as those paid more modest, or lower, wages.

I am behind the red wall and as I said to my local MP in the email, I don’t always vote for you but unless there is a U turn on the top date then he can forget about my vote at the next election. I also know from talking to others that he will need to be looking for a new job soon because policies like these are not acceptable to us behind the red wall.
    Have you had the courtesy of a reply yet Yarm?

Quote Originally Posted by TipperaryBaggie View Post
    Have you had the courtesy of a reply yet Yarm?
    Not yet Tips.

To be fair I only sent it at 1233 on 30th September!

That said maybe an acknowledgment at least would have been nice with an idea of when I might get a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    A few points Mick if this were me

1. The tenants wouldn’t be there if it were me as I would pay a source to break bones if they didn’t vacate.

2. If renting out your building is less stressful and more financially viable for you - do it!! You can’t be the mother of all these people and need to look after number 1

3. Kids have to stand on their own two feet and can’t be reliant on parents financially as where does it stop. I know somebody who cuts back on everything including holidays so he can leave his kids a nest egg! Everyone to their own but he’s a stupid p rick and not enjoying his own life to the full!

Do consider number 1. 100% what I would do as would help anyone but for me there’s a line which nobody crosses!

Option 1 is a non starter in this day and age.

These people have installed their own security cameras at the house.

The minute a landlord steps onto the land of the property it can be used against you as "harassment' and you yourself then end up in court.

I'm not a stupid man, I know "people" and I know how things used to be done and how it gets done in films but this is real life and unless you're a hard nosed criminal yourself and you don't care about going to prison and being in court etc then the option isn't viable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)