+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Clarets v Potters Match Preview.

Clarets v Potters Match Preview.

Clarets v Potters Match Preview.
    Turf Moor, Burnley, BB10 4BX.
    Kick-off – 19.45. Wednesday, 5th October 2022.

The Championship grinds on, Wednesday night brings Stoke City to Turf Moor in what will surely be a night the Potters will try to put right the 4-0 home reverse they suffered at the hands of Watford on Saturday.

Burnley are fast becoming the 1-1 draw experts of the division and urgently need to start turning their possession advantage into goals. Kompany’s Clarets also need to address the habit of losing points from winning positions. The concession of late goals is fast becoming a worrying trend, yet another last-minute goal was conceded at Cardiff on Saturday.

Former Preston North End and Sunderland manager Alex Neil was recently recruited by the bet365 group to oversee a change in fortune for the Potteries premier club and he will be looking to get his team on an upward trajectory, starting with a result at Turf Moor on Wednesday night. The Potters currently sit in 17th place in the Championship.

Vincent Kompany’s Clarets are currently 4th in the League table but are already 6 points behind leaders Sheffield United and need to put three points on the board against Stoke City to maintain any hopes of a serious promotion push. The stakes are already high with almost a quarter of the campaign already gone and there is no room for complacency at Turf Moor for either team when kick-off comes on Wednesday night.

One’s to watch: Rising Potters star Ben Wilmot and former Chelsea midfielder Lewis Baker pose a significant goal threat for Stoke City and Nathan Tella for Burnley is scoring goals with a smile on his face and will no doubt give the Potters’ back line a tricky task to overcome.

Verdict: Yet another hard-fought Championship game is on the cards, both teams need points for different reasons, and I predict Stoke City will leave Turf Moor with a valuable away point in a 2-2 draw.

Footnote: The very mention of Stoke City brings back memories of the awful news in 1963 that after 497 matches for the "Clarets" and scoring 131 goals, Jimmy McIlroy was allowed to leave for Stoke City for a cut price £25,000, which came as a shock to the Burnley fans who branded Bob Lord the Burnley chairman ‘insane'. Somethings you never get over and this was a seismic event for an 11-year-old who revered the Northern Irish footballing magician.

Attachment 22650

"Footnote: The very mention of Stoke City brings back memories of the awful news in 1963 that after 497 matches for the "Clarets" and scoring 131 goals, Jimmy McIlroy was allowed to leave for Stoke City for a cut price £25,000, which came as a shock to the Burnley fans who branded Bob Lord the Burnley chairman ‘insane'. Somethings you never get over and this was a seismic event for an 11-year-old who revered the Northern Irish footballing magician."

Everyone, well those around at the time anyway, is supposed to remember where they were when they heard that JFK had been shot. I don't, no idea where I was, but I remember exactly where I was when I heard the Jimmy Mac news. I was working as a relief clerk at Clitheroe railway station and bought the local paper before catching the bus back to Accrington. I jumped on the bus and saw the headlines as I was about to climb the stairs to the top deck, I nearly fell off the bus, I was in a state of shock all the way home. What could not possibly happen had just happened, like BT, I've never got over it, never will.

Did Jimmy Mac ever get over it? He spent the rest of his life in Burnley. I remember when I was 11 he had opened a clothing shop on Colne Road. My headmistress, Sister Philomena, asked me to take some change there to see if Jimmy Mac would change it into notes and silver. I think that Sister thought, being Irish, he must be Catholic, not knowing that he was Protestant.

He was so nice about it all - helpful, gentle, took time to talk about football. We sat on the floor counting the money.

Every game in the Championship is going to be difficult. We are not the finished product by any means and we are capable of giving away silly goals.

I am not convinced about Muric. He does not take charge. Likewise, Taylor as a central defender is bemusing when we have some who can’t get into the side.

We can and do score though. Again, with talent available I am not sure why VK turned to Barnes in the Cardiff match.

I am all for dominating the ball, but we need to press home any advantage. An early goal will be good.

If we come through this one with a win, it will be a good indicator of how reliable we are in hard matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    Every game in the Championship is going to be difficult. We are not the finished product by any means and we are capable of giving away silly goals.

I am not convinced about Muric. He does not take charge. Likewise, Taylor as a central defender is bemusing when we have some who can’t get into the side.

We can and do score though. Again, with talent available I am not sure why VK turned to Barnes in the Cardiff match.

I am all for dominating the ball, but we need to press home any advantage. An early goal will be good.

If we come through this one with a win, it will be a good indicator of how reliable we are in hard matches.
    Muric worries me too Swiss but playing Barnes is unfathomable, he was firing blanks at the end of last season and he has remained consistent when playing this season.

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    Muric worries me too Swiss but playing Barnes is unfathomable, he was firing blanks at the end of last season and he has remained consistent when playing this season.
    Sinkov advocates patience k_c, personally I think some of VK's decisions border on the bonkers but hey ho a win tonight would really ignite our season.

Well, I have to say, it was a very pretty draw to watch. Will we ever get another clean sheet, our defence certainly loves to give the opposition hope. We had as many shots on target as they had shots, however, we have to remember that the games last 90+ minutes and we need to see games out.

Let's be patient and put a bet on us getting the most number of draws this season.

In all honesty, that was a very hard watch after watching alll the positive football week by week at Ashington, who also have lost just one game this season from 17 played and only 3 draws, two of which were in the FA Cup and forced replays.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)