+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Patience required

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Rumblings of discontent about our new manager seem to be surfacing with ever more frequency, I'm not convinced there's any justification for them at all. Certainly you can question individual player selections, which positions they'd be best played in, why aren't we turning possession into goals, why are we conceding late equalisers, you can go on all day, there's always something someone isn't happy about, something Vinni could/should be doing better, or not doing at all, but in all honesty, it's nit-picking.

Stand back and look at the wider picture, Vinni has virtually had to start from scratch and yet 11 games into a very compressed start to the season, we're 4th in the League, having lost only one game out of eleven, and we're in the next round of the Mickey Mouse. Quite honestly, given the challenges he faced and the short space of time he had, it would not have surprised me if we'd have been bottom six. It took Pep a couple of seasons to get City firing on all cylinders, and he walked into a doddle of a job compared to what Vinni faced, Mikel Arteta has finally got Arsenal to the top of the PL and looking like they might even win it. It's taken him almost four years to get them to this stage.

FFS, give Vinni a break, give him a chance, give him some time, he's hardly started yet.
    Agree 100% sinkov.

I don’t understand one or two decisions but overall, full marks. It easy to forget what he took over and what has been achieved in such a short space of time. BT will correct me as he is a disciple of St Sean, but I think that SD’s first few months in charge back in the day were not too stellar. I would also argue that the quality of the Championship has improved in that time.

sinkov, well what can I say ---win in the replay and you have another home tie against York City! Now that would be a hard game!
    If we win tomorrow night we have a horrible trip to Kings Lynn to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    Agree 100% sinkov.

I don’t understand one or two decisions but overall, full marks. It easy to forget what he took over and what has been achieved in such a short space of time. BT will correct me as he is a disciple of St Sean, but I think that SD’s first few months in charge back in the day were not too stellar. I would also argue that the quality of the Championship has improved in that time.
    Totally agree with you S_c, for the first few months of SD'S time, I thought WTF have we done? I hope VK sticks with his guns and ignores miserable old trout like me.

I stick with the opinion though S_c, watching Burnley under Sean Dyche gave me moments of pleasure not matched since we beat the Blades at Wembley.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    sinkov, well what can I say ---win in the replay and you have another home tie against York City! Now that would be a hard game!
    If we win tomorrow night we have a horrible trip to Kings Lynn to look forward to.
    I am rather fond of Kings Lynn mein freund, you are right though, it is a horrid journey.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I am rather fond of Kings Lynn mein freund, you are right though, it is a horrid journey.
    AGree, BT, there is nothing wrong with the place but the journey from up here is something else! It would be a 480 mile round trip from here and this for a non-league team from the Northern League would be quite a trip. Mind you, we have to win tomorrow night's replay in order to have to make this trip.

AGree, BT, there is nothing wrong with the place but the journey from up here is something else! It would be a 480 mile round trip from here and this for a non-league team from the Northern League would be quite a trip. Mind you, we have to win tomorrow night's replay in order to have to make this trip.
    Forget the "there and back in one day idea", stay just one night in a hotel on the Market Square - you will not regret it I guarantee.

I don’t envy you that, Supersub. I recently drove the M6, M6 Toll, M1, M25, M20 to Eurotunnel. Absolute nightmare with roadworks, volume of traffic and the biggest problem - speed controls.

Although the traffic was heavy it was flowing well, except for when the speed limit was reduced. It is the speed restrictions that cause the problems. Static at times! As soon as the restrictions were lifted the traffic flowed again.

Totally agree with you S_c, for the first few months of SD'S time, I thought WTF have we done? I hope VK sticks with his guns and ignores miserable old trout like me.

I stick with the opinion though S_c, watching Burnley under Sean Dyche gave me moments of pleasure not matched since we beat the Blades at Wembley.
    I am not out to trash SD’s record. Magical memories when we finished 7th and qualified for Europe. 3 - 2 against Chelsea at the Bridge, beating Man Ewe 2 - 0 at Old Trafford to name but two!

The strange things is, BT, that we had picked up 17 points from 14 games under Eddie and scored 26 conceded 29. From the day that Sean took over his first 11 games saw us win 4 draw 4 and lose 3, scoring 12 and conceding 11 and picking up 16 points so VK's first 11 games have been similar from a results point of view. Obviously, the following season we gained promotion so the only difference is that VK has the full season to see whether we can gain promotion whereas Sean's first season was one third of the way through when he took over.

Vinny's problem was trying not to laugh at the opposition when they were 5-0 down sinkov. It's a real problem not being able to see games out, personally I'd rather see us on the front foot for the whole 90 minutes instead of trying to hang on to a 1-0 goal lead, but like you quite rightly say it's early days yet.
    I know, I get your point, seeing games out has not been a requirement for most of Vinni's playing career. But is it really a problem for us ? It's happened twice in 12 games, is this excessive ? I don't think it is, Chelsea scored a last minute winner at Palace, does a Viera team not know how to see a game out, Swansea scored a last minute winner at WBA, can Steve Bruce not teach his team to see games out ? There were 7 other games at the weekend were there was a last minute winner or equaliser, it's not an unusual occurrence. If it happens another couple of times in the next half dozen or so games then yes, I think we may have a serious problem, but for the moment I think it's just one of those things, it's football, it happens to every team sooner or later, now and again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)