+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Patience required

Patience required

Rumblings of discontent about our new manager seem to be surfacing with ever more frequency, I'm not convinced there's any justification for them at all. Certainly you can question individual player selections, which positions they'd be best played in, why aren't we turning possession into goals, why are we conceding late equalisers, you can go on all day, there's always something someone isn't happy about, something Vinni could/should be doing better, or not doing at all, but in all honesty, it's nit-picking.

Stand back and look at the wider picture, Vinni has virtually had to start from scratch and yet 11 games into a very compressed start to the season, we're 4th in the League, having lost only one game out of eleven, and we're in the next round of the Mickey Mouse. Quite honestly, given the challenges he faced and the short space of time he had, it would not have surprised me if we'd have been bottom six. It took Pep a couple of seasons to get City firing on all cylinders, and he walked into a doddle of a job compared to what Vinni faced, Mikel Arteta has finally got Arsenal to the top of the PL and looking like they might even win it. It's taken him almost four years to get them to this stage.

FFS, give Vinni a break, give him a chance, give him some time, he's hardly started yet.

Sadly, sinkov, we live in an 'instant society' where people just expect to add water and everything is complete.
    The older end can accept what you are saying and the reality of the situation in which Vinnie found himself.

Football management takes time, no matter who the manger is, however, as can be seen with all the sackings this season, the average modern football fan and, it would seem, many club owners/directors are not prepared to give it time.

Good win for your lads on Saturday ----Cup draw this afternoon could be interesting (oops, I probably shouldn't have mentioned this)!

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Rumblings of discontent about our new manager seem to be surfacing with ever more frequency, I'm not convinced there's any justification for them at all. Certainly you can question individual player selections, which positions they'd be best played in, why aren't we turning possession into goals, why are we conceding late equalisers, you can go on all day, there's always something someone isn't happy about, something Vinni could/should be doing better, or not doing at all, but in all honesty, it's nit-picking.

Stand back and look at the wider picture, Vinni has virtually had to start from scratch and yet 11 games into a very compressed start to the season, we're 4th in the League, having lost only one game out of eleven, and we're in the next round of the Mickey Mouse. Quite honestly, given the challenges he faced and the short space of time he had, it would not have surprised me if we'd have been bottom six. It took Pep a couple of seasons to get City firing on all cylinders, and he walked into a doddle of a job compared to what Vinni faced, Mikel Arteta has finally got Arsenal to the top of the PL and looking like they might even win it. It's taken him almost four years to get them to this stage.

FFS, give Vinni a break, give him a chance, give him some time, he's hardly started yet.
    All well and good mon ami, but playing pretty possession-based football is great to watch but sometimes we need to remember to do the dirty stuff and see out games.

Pope learned how to take five minutes out of a game we were winning by f*cking about and Muric & co need to learn the same. SD called it "game management," VK needs to watch a few videos of how to get the group to see a game out.

Now (Patience) Solitaire’s the only game in town and every road that takes me, takes me down. We are well into the Championship sacking season- Stoke, Huddersfield, Cardiff, Watford, Hull, Middlesbrough- but I don’t think VK is under any threat. He’s the right man for the job. He’s no Southgate just picking players when they are clearly out of form but fans are bound to have their say about team selections.

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    Now (Patience) Solitaire’s the only game in town and every road that takes me, takes me down. We are well into the Championship sacking season- Stoke, Huddersfield, Cardiff, Watford, Hull, Middlesbrough- but I don’t think VK is under any threat. He’s the right man for the job. He’s no Southgate just picking players when they are clearly out of form but fans are bound to have their say about team selections.
    That's the nature of the beast Sir Outwood, we'd have next to nowt to talk about if there was no footy.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post

Good win for your lads on Saturday ---
    I wish Sub, it was a draw, the replay's at Radcliffe on Wednesday. We're in trouble I think, they are a decent outfit, way above NW Counties, and we'll be struggling to get 11 fit players on the field. What do you think of your chances after Saturday ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    All well and good mon ami, but playing pretty possession-based football is great to watch but sometimes we need to remember to do the dirty stuff and see out games.

Pope learned how to take five minutes out of a game we were winning by f*cking about and Muric & co need to learn the same. SD called it "game management," VK needs to watch a few videos of how to get the group to see a game out.
    Yes, I think Vincent Kompany needs to learn a bit about game management and he seems clueless about a few other things as well. We'd have been better with a manager who'd actually played the game...............oh hang on.

I wish Sub, it was a draw, the replay's at Radcliffe on Wednesday. We're in trouble I think, they are a decent outfit, way above NW Counties, and we'll be struggling to get 11 fit players on the field. What do you think of your chances after Saturday ?
    sinkov, old age setting in! I was thinking of your game at Ramsbottom doh! Yes I see that you have a replay against Bury and wish you luck with that, although you don't sound very hopeful.
    We had three key players missing on Saturday and it affected out game with too many long balls played to nobody in particular. Having said that, we were marginally the better side in a very scrappy first half but neither side created much. The second half was marginally better but they took the lead against the run of play when we let them get a cross in which was well put away by their skipper. We equalised within two minutes and then took the lead with 20 minutes to go. It then became end to end with them striving for an equaliser and we were unlucky with a breakaway when we hit the bar and the ball rebounded to the keeper. They equalised just 5 minutes from time, which was probably deserved as they had just hit the post with a 30 yard thunderbolt.
    We still have players missing tomorrow and I shall be unable to attend because of a prior engagement but I reckon that we have a good chance and are expecting a crowd of over 1000 who will mainly be very partisan. The crowd on Saturday was 449 and just over half of those had travelled from up here, me included.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    sinkov, old age setting in! I was thinking of your game at Ramsbottom doh! Yes I see that you have a replay against Bury and wish you luck with that, although you don't sound very hopeful.
    We had three key players missing on Saturday and it affected out game with too many long balls played to nobody in particular. Having said that, we were marginally the better side in a very scrappy first half but neither side created much. The second half was marginally better but they took the lead against the run of play when we let them get a cross in which was well put away by their skipper. We equalised within two minutes and then took the lead with 20 minutes to go. It then became end to end with them striving for an equaliser and we were unlucky with a breakaway when we hit the bar and the ball rebounded to the keeper. They equalised just 5 minutes from time, which was probably deserved as they had just hit the post with a 30 yard thunderbolt.
    We still have players missing tomorrow and I shall be unable to attend because of a prior engagement but I reckon that we have a good chance and are expecting a crowd of over 1000 who will mainly be very partisan. The crowd on Saturday was 449 and just over half of those had travelled from up here, me included.
    A shame you can't get there Sub, it's a game I wouldn't mind seeing myself, but a six hour round trip is just a bit too far sadly. I really do hope Ashington progress, if we get turned over on Wednesday, as I fear we will, there'll hopefully still be one team to follow on the road to Wembley.

1,756 at Clitheroe on Saturday, Outwood tells me the Radcliffe ground holds 3,500 and they expect to sell it out. I've got my ticket, tight tw@ts, no concessions for gimmers like us, but it should be fun.

Yes, I think Vincent Kompany needs to learn a bit about game management and he seems clueless about a few other things as well. We'd have been better with a manager who'd actually played the game...............oh hang on.
    Vinny's problem was trying not to laugh at the opposition when they were 5-0 down sinkov. It's a real problem not being able to see games out, personally I'd rather see us on the front foot for the whole 90 minutes instead of trying to hang on to a 1-0 goal lead, but like you quite rightly say it's early days yet.

I notice Vinny was at the Etihad yesterday, I hope he was having a word in Pep's ear about us borrowing the dude with a blonde ponytail in January.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)