+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The intelligent alien debate

The intelligent alien debate

Our universe is 14 billion years old. The Milky Way galaxy is 13.61 billion years old. The Solar System is 4.571 billion years. The Earth is 4.543 billion years old.

The scope for fundamentally different life is infinite given time, environment, gases and various other factors such as DNA / RNA etc. Anything not from Earth is extremely unlikely to be able to breed with human beings from Earth. Having some substances in common with life not from Earth hardly makes such life our brother

If you are defining 'alien' as being one person compared with another then that is a crass use of language. When you and me converse about aliens it is about life not emanating from Earth.

In order that you cannot mistake my fundamental beliefs on the matter here they are. There may be no intelligent alien life anywhere except on Earth. There may be millions of intelligent alien civilisations. Even if there are millions of intelligent alien civilisations they may be so far apart that even with the ultimate in advanced technology none of them will even detect that any others exist.

So your "You don't believe in aliens" does not work. I merely believe that there is no proof that intelligent aliens have been to Earth or in its skies or above Earth in space. Indeed there has been no detection of any proxies for intelligent life anywhere other than on Earth. I would welcome such detection. But anyone who believes that he / she has evidence / proof should deliver it to be scientifically tested. A lot of would-be provers that alien life has been or is on Earth tend to not submit such alleged evidence / proof for scientific analysis. Their excuses for not doing this are legion, even attacking such fundamental science. They want to 'milk' their story, rather than have it legitimately annulled.
    Last edited by 6EQUJ5; 03-10-2022 at 10:42 AM.

You are a hopeless pendant, you need something to slap you round the face before you accept owt. A sign of silliness. Super earths have been found around white dwarves, some almost twice the size of earth, now tell me life doesnt exist there. There are billions of white dwarves.

No dont.

I must ask you not to comment on astronomy, as its like being stuck in mud. Thankyou. As for my correct analysis of the human body and how it was built has gone over your head completely.

Not the nuts and bolts, but the romance and mind blowing mystery of everything. You dont have awe.

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post
    You are a hopeless pendant
    You are right, I am an absolutely useless pendant.

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post
    Super earths have been found around white dwarves, some almost twice the size of earth, now tell me life doesnt exist there.
    I have no idea what there is on super Earths around white dwarves. For the umpt*eenth time, ever since I first trapped you with the 'burden of proof' argument you have resented it and even tried to reverse it as you do in this instance. You wish me to assert that life doesn't exist there in order that you can counter-claim that it does. I do not know anything about life on super Earths and neither do you.
    For either of us to make a credible assertion either way it would be necessary to produce evidence. I make no such assertions but you do strongly imply that life is there. It may well be there but nobody has yet detected it. You always fail to understand that which I make perfectly clear. There may be intelligent life out there, there may not be. Nobody knows. If you claim to know then all that you need to do is produce the plain scientific evidence such that you could prove what you claim to know.

The most experienced and respected astro-biologists and astro-physicists state that just because a planet is Earth like and can support life, that proves nothing. Life has to begin from no life. That is by far the most important factor. The chance of life beginning from no life is so incredibly unlikely that it may have happened only once, on Earth. This likelihood easily defeats the 'lots of real estate so something intelligent has to be out there', which is simplistically and crudely an extremely poor argument. You find that world renowned Professors Brian Cox and Paul Davies believe that there may be either zero or 1 intelligent civilisations in the Milky Way, other than that on Earth. The issue is not just whether intelligence exists but actually detecting it. There may be lots of intelligent civilisations but we may never detect any of them. You are confusing the likelihood of existence with the likelihood of detecting it.

Wherever you claim that there is life I would like it to be true. But the sensible attitude is to make such a claim when you have evidence to prove it. Otherwise you will be regarded as eccentric.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)