+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's going to be a long hard winter...

It's going to be a long hard winter...

It's hardly the first of the warnings mon ami, it was pointed out by the more sensible commentators back in 2008 that Labour's lunatic Climate Change Act, which set us on the road to Net Zero, would inevitably lead to winter power cuts at some point in the future, it was only ever a matter of when, not if. And that was 15 years ago.

I've made the same point time again on this forum ever since, Counciilor Jim, our erstwhile Lib Dem friend, even complained about me calling him an eco-loon, when I pointed out where his lunacy was leading us. I have to hold my hand up though, I lost, the eco loons won, and here we are today, facing a long cold winter, with no guaranteed leccy or gas. I am not a vindictive person, but I do hope when the lights go out, they go out in Morecambe first of all.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    It's hardly the first of the warnings mon ami, it was pointed out by the more sensible commentators back in 2008 that Labour's lunatic Climate Change Act, which set us on the road to Net Zero, would inevitably lead to winter power cuts at some point in the future, it was only ever a matter of when, not if. And that was 15 years ago.

I've made the same point time again on this forum ever since, Counciilor Jim, our erstwhile Lib Dem friend, even complained about me calling him an eco-loon, when I pointed out where his lunacy was leading us. I have to hold my hand up though, I lost, the eco loons won, and here we are today, facing a long cold winter, with no guaranteed leccy or gas. I am not a vindictive person, but I do hope when the lights go out, they go out in Morecambe first of all.
    I wondered how long it would take for it all to be Labour's fault. I've just been sent to the ASDA to buy some butter. A normal carton of Anchor spreadable butter set me back £5.50. I suppose that's Labour's fault too?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I wondered how long it would take for it all to be Labour's fault. I've just been sent to the ASDA to buy some butter. A normal carton of Anchor spreadable butter set me back £5.50. I suppose that's Labour's fault too?
    No it is not, BT.

I think that there is significant profiteering going on. Although I am fundamentally a capitalist, it sickens me that companies rape and pillage at will. I saw an add on TV the other day where one of the supermarkets chains in Britain claimed a “price check against Aldi”. That assumes that Aldi, Waitrose, Tesco, Asda and so on never talk to each other and don’t act in tandem. Aldi sets a price that includes a substantial profit margin so no one is losing out. Aldi is not operating at a loss!

There is no value in a company chasing the price to the bottom.

It is the same, or worse, in Switzerland. We have two major chains - Coop and Migros. Their prices are exhorbitant. A weekly shop for two people is around £300. In France, it is about one third of that. Yet everyone celebrates when Coop and Migros announce obscene profits every year. Work that one out.

There is a dark side to capitalism and society needs to address that, but not by nationalisation.

It always amazes me that, when the price of oil goes up, garages immediately put up prices even though they are selling petrol bought three month’s forward. Yet when the price of oil falls, the price at the pump takes weeks to fall back and rarely returns to the original price.

How is that acceptable?

Brexit mon ami, you voted for it, the Tories wanted us to stay in.

Brexit mon ami, you voted for it, the Tories wanted us to stay in.
    Have you been on the laughing gas again mon ami?

Facts:
    Just 1 out of 329 Tory MPs voted against LEAVING.
    47 out of 229 Labour MPs voted against LEAVING.
    Significantly 50 out of 54 SNP voted against LEAVING.

The Ayes have it.

"Capitalism can only work if it does not force the masses into penury." (BT 05/10/22)

Have you been on the laughing gas again mon ami?

Facts:
    Just 1 out of 329 Tory MPs voted against LEAVING.
    47 out of 229 Labour MPs voted against LEAVING.
    Significantly 50 out of 54 SNP voted against LEAVING.

The Ayes have it.

"Capitalism can only work if it does not force the masses into penury." (BT 05/10/22)
    No idea just what those bizarre 'facts' are mon ami, perhaps you could explain. There was only one political party campaigning to
    leave the EU, that was UKIP, all the others campaigned for Remain. Cameron, Osborne, May, and the vast majority of Tory MPs were Remainers.

No idea just what those bizarre 'facts' are mon ami, perhaps you could explain. There was only one political party campaigning to
    leave the EU, that was UKIP, all the others campaigned for Remain. Cameron, Osborne, May, and the vast majority of Tory MPs were Remainers.
    Tha vast majority of people voted leave because of immigration and our brilliant country is exploited to the rafters worse now than when we voted leave.
    The situation has worsened and we the tax payers are funding the -hit show.

The sad thing is the conservatives didn’t deliver on what they promised and now Labour will
    Probably be handed the reigns to push us off the edge into oblivion as I’m more than confident the flood gates will really open with Labour in charge.

So in summary both parties are self obsessed - ie
    They only have a care for themselves their own positions and personal gain and there endeth the lesson and the truth about Brexit.

If Liz Truss grew a pair now and got a grip on immigration she might just survive as PM.

Swissclaret : ''There is a dark side to capitalism and society needs to address that, but not by nationalisation.''

Prout (the Progressive Utilization Theory) is a socioeconomic alternative model that promotes the welfare and development of every person, physically, mentally, and spiritually.

PRO gressive U tilisation T heory = PROUT

People in all nations must have their minimum necessities met in order to be productive and develop their full potentials. The five minimum necessities are: food (including pure drinking water), clothing, housing (including adequate
    sanitation, energy, communication, and information), medical care, and education. These must be provided in a sustainable manner so that future generations can also meet their minimum necessities. The Brazilian spiritual activist Frei Betto called attention to this need when he said, “The degree of justice in a society can be evaluated by the way food is distributed amongst all of the citizens”

Prout (the Progressive Utilization Theory) is a socioeconomic alternative model that promotes the welfare and development of every person, physically, mentally, and spiritually. This article provides a brief introduction to some of the economic and social concepts of Prout, including guaranteeing minimum necessities to all, the right to jobs, a three-tiered economy, including small-scale private enterprises, cooperatives, and large-scale publicly owned key industries, food sovereignty, sustainable agriculture, proper utilization of natural and human resources, and economic democracy. Prout promotes an ecological and spiritual perspective that is universal and nondogmatic. Prout's holistic model provides an overarching framework to effectively measure and compare policies for the greater good of all people, as well as the planet.

https://www.anandamarga.org/pdf/news...rica/Prout.pdf

I wondered how long it would take for it all to be Labour's fault.
    Still in Fantasy Land mon ami, where have I said it's all Labour's fault ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)