+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Benefits In Line With Inflation

Benefits In Line With Inflation

Don’t agree with that! If employees can not get pay in line with inflation then why should benefits be any different!

Also agree that people on benefits (if able ) should take employment offered.

I explained this the other day.

Earlier this year I employed two long term unemployed.

Each of them did just one day and never turned up again yet hassled me like f u c k for the days pay!

I later found out that it’s all a game, as long as they go for interviews and get an occasional job ( even if just for a nanosecond) they then qualify to stay on full benefits.

Shambles isn’t it!?

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I explained this the other day.

Earlier this year I employed two long term unemployed.

Each of them did just one day and never turned up again yet hassled me like f u c k for the days pay!

I later found out that it’s all a game, as long as they go for interviews and get an occasional job ( even if just for a nanosecond) they then qualify to stay on full benefits.

Shambles isn’t it!?

Hope there was a stock check done when they left!

Tough one. On one hand, very clearly if inflation is running at, say, 9% then very few employers -if any-will be offering that same percentage increase in wages as it simply would not be affordable (as well as likely being self-defeating as it would also feed into yet further inflation). Also, when that level of inflation then falls again, the wages will not then fall with it. On the other hand, for those struggling financially who rely on benefits (most of whom do work, albeit in low paid jobs) many do genuinely need further assistance and-unlike wage awards-this amount could later be reduced in line with any fall in the rate of inflation. Some have mooted a 5% increase which seems more reasonable?

When inflation falls back to the BofE target rate of <2% the damage is already done as prices that have risen do not fall back to the same extent, especially with the higher wage costs employers will be paying. In a year or two you'd expect wages to catch back up if pay rises are commensurate with the longer term trends.

For those on benefits, the same should therefore apply, at the minimum is heating, eating and a roof over your head, if you can work & you game the system as in Mick's example then expect consequences. If you cannot work then fair enough?

But a large portion of the inflation was down to energy bills rising, which have had govt grants to support, quite substantially for those on benefits. Not perfect but there has been support at the lower ends, which acts as a response to inflation.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)