+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Time wasting during 90 minutes - ok or not ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    701

    Time wasting during 90 minutes - ok or not ?

    This time-wasting phenomena - after reading various ideas to stop it surely a simple key change would be to take the match timing OUT of the hands of the Referee who lets face it has more than enough to concentrate on let alone having to constantly click his stop watch & then blowing his whistle in order to allow a corner kick, free kick etc.

    Opinions anyone ?


  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    This time-wasting phenomena - after reading various ideas to stop it surely a simple key change would be to take the match timing OUT of the hands of the Referee who lets face it has more than enough to concentrate on let alone having to constantly click his stop watch & then blowing his whistle in order to allow a corner kick, free kick etc.

    Opinions anyone ?

    Already caught by Law 12 in several places.

    Refs donít enforce the rules for fear of being criticised.

    Dissent is another clear example which is very rarely punished.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,633
    Was heavily involved in AAU girls basketball in my younger days. Also developed as pretty good scoreboard operator. Ended up doing soem of the biggest World Basketball games when the tournement was held here in Indy. It is a subject I know a lot about.

    In basketball the clock is stopped at any time the ref signals which includes out of bounds, fouls end of quarters and timeouts.

    Really think that Football at the high levels should give this some thought. It eliminates any advantage to time wasting.

    MT, you are correct. It's too much for a ref to handle. Just designate a timekeeper on the side touch line and stop the clock when the ball goes out, free kicks, or injury time outs. No reason for stoppage time at that point. when the balls not in play the clock is stopped. when it is in play it's running. a true 45 minute half occurs. It's a very easy thing for an timekeeper to do if that's the only thing they are officiating.

    I know it's a radical idea but it would vastly change the tactics of the time wasters and after a while it's likely they'd realize they have to play to attack or park the bus the whole game. that's not likely to work for 90 true minutes of play.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    701
    Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Already caught by Law 12 in several places.

    Refs donít enforce the rules for fear of being criticised.

    Dissent is another clear example which is very rarely punished.

    You mean a Caution for showing a lack of respect for the game under Law 12, Hopey.

    'Lack of Respect' is actually cheating is not then.

    Cheating in sports today is now rife. International Chess tournament cheating hulabaloo last week & now Tournament fishing shenanigans.

    Chess wizz Hans Niemann is 'likely to have cheated' in more than 100 games, investigations found.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63140246

    In fishing would-be winners of an elite field of 30 two-angler teams were competing for $30,000 on a windy day in the Lake Erie Walleye Trail Championship in Cleveland Harbor were disqualified last week after it was discovered their winning fish hauls were stuffed with lead weights and fish fillets !

    Apparently 'Polygraph tests' are now standard issue in major American fishing tournaments where there is any controversy to be cleared up.

    Blimey, imagine if Fifa introduced such tests upon players & coaches for on/off field antics.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    15,080
    Futsal, a close relative of association football (i.e. saaaarker) essentially does this already: there are other subtle things being kept track of (which might've helped this past weekend as "foul" counting could be another duty taken out of the centre referee's hands?), but timing of the game is in the hands of an external official at the side of the game.

    Weirdly, I've had (and seasonally renewed) the correct patch to referee futsal games for several years, but have yet to use it in anger as they're mostly youth level games and I far prefer adult indoor games where I can deliver sarcastic comments as part of the process.

    Moderators, eh?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    701
    Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Was heavily involved in AAU girls basketball in my younger days. Also developed as pretty good scoreboard operator. Ended up doing soem of the biggest World Basketball games when the tournement was held here in Indy. It is a subject I know a lot about.

    In basketball the clock is stopped at any time the ref signals which includes out of bounds, fouls end of quarters and timeouts.

    Really think that Football at the high levels should give this some thought. It eliminates any advantage to time wasting.

    MT, you are correct. It's too much for a ref to handle. Just designate a timekeeper on the side touch line and stop the clock when the ball goes out, free kicks, or injury time outs. No reason for stoppage time at that point. when the balls not in play the clock is stopped. when it is in play it's running. a true 45 minute half occurs. It's a very easy thing for an timekeeper to do if that's the only thing they are officiating.

    I know it's a radical idea but it would vastly change the tactics of the time wasters and after a while it's likely they'd realize they have to play to attack or park the bus the whole game. that's not likely to work for 90 true minutes of play.
    Good summary Spaldy & an interesting take from your experience in sport.

    Well it ain't just Leeds fans getting cheesed off with Slo-mo time wasting as even Arsenal are at it according to newspaper reports I've been reading with Ben White culprit number 1.

    This season fans are being taken for mugs by the deliberate stalling of play by the side without the ball & seemingly its oblivious by all referees & often cheated by the side in possession as well particularly at dead ball situations.

    Personally I hate it and its terribly frustrating to watch especially after having the wonder of Bielsaball to watch in full flow.

    Not sure if the World Cup is gonna help matters either playing in such heat.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    You mean a Caution for showing a lack of respect for the game under Law 12, Hopey.

    'Lack of Respect' is actually cheating is not then.

    Cheating in sports today is now rife. International Chess tournament cheating hulabaloo last week & now Tournament fishing shenanigans.

    Chess wizz Hans Niemann is 'likely to have cheated' in more than 100 games, investigations found.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63140246

    In fishing would-be winners of an elite field of 30 two-angler teams were competing for $30,000 on a windy day in the Lake Erie Walleye Trail Championship in Cleveland Harbor were disqualified last week after it was discovered their winning fish hauls were stuffed with lead weights and fish fillets !

    Apparently 'Polygraph tests' are now standard issue in major American fishing tournaments where there is any controversy to be cleared up.

    Blimey, imagine if Fifa introduced such tests upon players & coaches for on/off field antics.
    There are a few that could apply MT - that is one, unsporting behaviour applies and there are a couple of offences that reference slowing down/delaying play.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,931
    Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Was heavily involved in AAU girls basketball in my younger days. Also developed as pretty good scoreboard operator. Ended up doing soem of the biggest World Basketball games when the tournement was held here in Indy. It is a subject I know a lot about.

    In basketball the clock is stopped at any time the ref signals which includes out of bounds, fouls end of quarters and timeouts.

    Really think that Football at the high levels should give this some thought. It eliminates any advantage to time wasting.
    I think this is completely true near the end of the match. If one team sets out to "frustrate" the other by time wasting from the outset however, it is a psychological ploy, and it doesn't matter how much longer the match actually goes. Its to hinder free flow and annoy the opponent, which is in my opinion, rather unsportsmanlike. Its akin to taking the ball to opposing corner flag from the kickoff.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrypie7 View Post
    I think this is completely true near the end of the match. If one team sets out to "frustrate" the other by time wasting from the outset however, it is a psychological ploy, and it doesn't matter how much longer the match actually goes. Its to hinder free flow and annoy the opponent, which is in my opinion, rather unsportsmanlike. Its akin to taking the ball to opposing corner flag from the kickoff.
    Agreed - a lot of ex players who are now pundits have for years endorsed the concept of a professional foul as if it is part of the game which has allowed the slow incremental creep of other forms of cheating to become almost accepted.

    The sporting bodies and referees need to clamp down on it. The NFL seems to be quite good at clamping down on things that become issues and Hockey (not ice hockey) seems to enforce rules consistently to try to keep the game fast and flowing.

    The refs should have a consistent script they use to brief teams before the game and give a couple of warnings with free kicks and then brandish cards - it would stop pretty quickly.

    If it was still a problem they could have a system where if a team accrues so many yellow cards for time wasting etc then other sanctions including points deductions could apply.

    I just donít think they are that bother about addressing it at the moment.

    Some might also argue itís part of the game and teams need to work out how to deal with it - I donít really agree with that though as given the huge sums of money involved they need to recognise it is as much entertainment as sport.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    7,436
    The ability to make 5 substitutions can be a bit time consuming as well if you're smart enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •