+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Millwall Post Match Thoughts

Frustrating night. Until the last ten minutes, we didn't play out from the back,which would have been preferable to putting high balls up to their massive backline. Secondly, what has gone wrong with our throw ins? We've reverted to the long high throw down the line, again giving the advantage to the larger opposition, instead of coming short and retaining possession. Both things show a lack of confidence which MT needs to build up again sharpish. I don't see any potential for improvement in Eaves which is a major worry!

What a refreshing interview, I might now start and listen to them

https://t.co/L1L6XrHVPp

Quote Originally Posted by The Hillsborough Miller View Post
    Im of a similar thought
    Bramall had a bad gane is he fullynfit if not play bola
    Rathbone is to erractic play odoffin in the holding role with dan further up
    Eaves dont get me started, donkey is perhaps the best word. I just dont get why kelly isnt started
    Rathbone was frustrating Taylor, interesting to see if he starts on Saturday, he's had some great games for us though.

Post from millwall end

A much better performance, a dominant second half but the honours were even at the end.

We had the better of the first five minutes and looked comfortable in our new formation. We looked assured on the ball but I really wasn’t sticking for Bradshaw. And then we pushed the self destruct button. A ball down the channel to their CF which Cooper chased. He was a bit rash, challenged for the ball, took the man and the ref pointed to the spot. Their skipper smashed it past Long although he did get a hand to it. Not the best start!

We tried to not let this setback put us out of our stride but it did take us a few minutes to get back into it. Their full back on loan from the Gunners was trying hard to give Murray a tough time but was having little success. A ball forward found Bradshaw with half a yard in the box but he scuffed his shot. There was a fairly even period of play for several minutes where neither side threatened and they did look powder puff up front. A good ball from Danny found Burey but he clipped his shot wide. Then Burey broke down the left, crossed for Tom but his shot went over. We continued to press forward and they didn’t look a threat at all. Then the goal of the season so far was scored. Billy had the ball in their half, pushed a short pass to Flem who took it forward a couple of yards and then hit a stunner from 25 yards into the top corner. It was a screamer. Suddenly we were level and the half ended just like that a few minutes later.

There we’re no subs after the break but GR had clearly told them all that the Millers were there for the taking. We were on the front foot from the off. Flem hit a stunning free kick which the keeper tipped over for a corner. From the resulting set piece the ball came a little high to Bradshaw and his header just looped over. We had the bit between our teeth and a good run forward from Burey was halted by a foul which went unpunished. A similar move the other was was halted by a firm challenge by Cooper which resulted in a yellow for Jake. GR was livid. We pressed forward and Flem’s cross shot was just poked wide by Bradshaw. Tom then turned provider for Flem but his cross shot was straight at the keeper. It was time for fresh legs and Bradshaw and Vogi were replaced by Benik and Bennett. We tried really hard to press but even the addition of Styles for Burey could not change the score line which finished 1-1.

Long had a decent game and had little to do except pick the ball out of the net after the penalty. His kicking and distribution is a step up from Bart. Danny had a strong game both as a defender and attacker. Hutch was his normal imperious self, Cooper had his moments and Murray was always dependable. Billy was busy and was well complimented by Sav, Burey was a bit in and out, VogI had some moments but MOM was Flem with a stunning goal and some good touches. Bradshaw ploughed a lone furrow up front and the ball did not always stick when he got it. Benik tried, Bennett looked aggressive and Styles hardly broke sweat in his short cameo.

We could have nicked it in the second half but our four at the back did not look overrun. There was some promise there and this should give GR some food for thought for Saturday’s game.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Rathbone was frustrating Taylor, interesting to see if he starts on Saturday, he's had some great games for us though.
    I couldn't see the frustration of Taylor but it appeared that Rathbone was playing differently last night with less freedom.

In Taylor's interview he mentioned that we were light in midfield. Maybe a holding midfielder like Lindsay or Odoffin?

I did criticise Eaves during the match thread. Hopefully he'll come good and gets settled in the team but it'll need a massive injection of confidence.

Pretty much what the Millwall fan posted.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    I couldn't see the frustration of Taylor but it appeared that Rathbone was playing differently last night with less freedom.

In Taylor's interview he mentioned that we were light in midfield. Maybe a holding midfielder like Lindsay or Odoffin?

I did criticise Eaves during the match thread. Hopefully he'll come good and gets settled in the team but it'll need a massive injection of confidence.
    When Rathbone gets the ball all he can see is numbers on shirts as the rest of our players hare off into the distance. Nobody drops off close wanting the ball off him so he then carries the ball for too long or risks the long pass that doesn't work. That makes him look like a bad player, which he isn't.

Eaves to me looks like a donkey on a 3 year contract

That’s my frustration of players not helping each other out which happened often last night.

Yes Eaves has been poor but he’s been injured and we don’t know if he’s fully healed yet plus he hasn’t hardly had ant game time. Probably he’s put on for his height over Kelly but imo Kelly should definitely be in front of him for now

What’s the excuse for them that are fit and played poor?

Another motm for Cuffy, strange how Harding wasn’t on

Grant Hall
    17.9%
    Brooke Norton-Cuffy
    52.7%
    Dan Barlaser
    18%
    Ben Wiles
    11.4%
    744 votes
    ·
    Final results
    Last edited by millertop; 06-10-2022 at 09:06 AM.

There was a Millers free kick deep in the Millwall half with less than 10 minutes to go. An opportunity to put the ball into the box and perhaps nick it late on.
    What was 6'3 Tom Eaves doing at this point? He had his back to the ball and was jostling with the defender in the box.
    He had no interest in looking to attack the delivery as he didn't look at it once and appeared to be more interested in looking for the 2nd ball.
    Just about sums it up really.

In general a lot of huff and puff, lots of sideways and backwards passing but not much going forward. Void of quality really.
    For me Hall was MOM closely followed by Harding. Hall is a cracking defender and I believe without his presence we would be a much easier nut to crack.
    Special mention to Peltier who I thought added a really calm and experienced head to the back line when he came on.

I think MT has a lot of work to do to try and get the best out of the squad at his disposal.
    I do sometimes wonder why managers don't occasionally watch matches from up in the stands where they can see so much more than down at pitch level.

It's early days in the MT era but I do see some changes coming before too soon.
    I think a few players have become too confident their names will be on that team sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    When Rathbone gets the ball all he can see is numbers on shirts as the rest of our players hare off into the distance. Nobody drops off close wanting the ball off him so he then carries the ball for too long or risks the long pass that doesn't work. That makes him look like a bad player, which he isn't.

Eaves to me looks like a donkey on a 3 year contract
    I don't think Rathbone is a bad player by any stretch of the imagination. The view of the players haring off is one I didn't have and what you say makes total sense. In my opinion any of the 3 central midfielders we played last night could play further up the pitch better than as a defensive midfielder. The one you'd want further back would be Barlaser to make the passes for the players running up the pitch.

It's going to be interesting.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast