+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: O/T. Autumn Crop

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    Update.
    Well, quite a contrast this year, very poor crops of apples and pears , plumbs not too bad . Early frosts Nov./Dec last year being blamed here.
    What about Madsters in the UK and around the world??
    Bit of a mixed bag Lincs. Blackberry and elderberry in abundance but no cherries or sloe (blackthorn). Neighbour's fruit trees look loaded.

Most people have lost branches on their peach trees because of the weight they we holding. Yellow peaches seem hardier than the white ones this year.
    I went away in august and has a family member come and look after the plants. Unfortunately they didn't water the sprouts, cabbages, beetroot or tomatoes. They'll not be asked again

Quincy's are on overdrive, Apples are good, Plumbs were excellent along with the butternut, pumpkins and courgettes. I've had too many so I put what I couldn't eat on a table outside the house and folk have been taking them.

Going to be cutting back some trees soon.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    Most people have lost branches on their peach trees because of the weight they we holding. Yellow peaches seem hardier than the white ones this year.
    I went away in august and has a family member come and look after the plants. Unfortunately they didn't water the sprouts, cabbages, beetroot or tomatoes. They'll not be asked again

Quincy's are on overdrive, Apples are good, Plumbs were excellent along with the butternut, pumpkins and courgettes. I've had too many so I put what I couldn't eat on a table outside the house and folk have been taking them.

Going to be cutting back some trees soon.
    Good for you pal being so generous to other folk. You'll be Town Mayor before you know it

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Good for you pal being so generous to other folk. You'll be Town Mayor before you know it
    One of the best things about brexit is I can’t be 😂

Been a strange year here in the west of the US too. Most fruit trees did nothing, maybe down to a wet Spring? I have one apple tree with a decent crop. Tomato plants grown entirely outdoors had ripe fruit around the start of July about 1 month ahead of normal and are still going strong. Had a couple of heirlooms weighing in excess of 1lb. Lettuce did OK, sprouts look OK but at least a month off picking and they are usually ready by now. Beans were a disaster and squash were so so.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Been a strange year here in the west of the US too. Most fruit trees did nothing, maybe down to a wet Spring? I have one apple tree with a decent crop. Tomato plants grown entirely outdoors had ripe fruit around the start of July about 1 month ahead of normal and are still going strong. Had a couple of heirlooms weighing in excess of 1lb. Lettuce did OK, sprouts look OK but at least a month off picking and they are usually ready by now. Beans were a disaster and squash were so so.
    No oranges CAM ?

No oranges CAM ?
    No, they don't grow as far north as we are. Used to get them when we lived in CA but where we are now the much cooler and wetter WA is the apple growing capital of the US with a bumper crop of 134 million 40lb boxes forecast this year, up almost 30% on 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    No, they don't grow as far north as we are. Used to get them when we lived in CA but where we are now the much cooler and wetter WA is the apple growing capital of the US with a bumper crop of 134 million 40lb boxes forecast this year, up almost 30% on 2022.
    That’s a lot of vitamin c

No oranges CAM ?
    As CAM suggests, loads where we are in the East Bay outside San Francisco, plus lemons and grapefruit - and of course grapes. Having said that I have been singularly unsuccessful in growing citrus fruit whereas my daughter just down the road has an abundance. Ironically, my apple trees have done pretty well this year!

I'm a learner still when it comes to veg. I've made two raised beds and have had moderate success with tomatoes, squash, cucumbers and green peppers this year.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234