+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/T. Autumn Crop

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post
    Why some people think toms are a veg is beyond me.
    Same here Crash, poor tomato crop.

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    What's the fruit harvest been like in South Yorks this year ? Just had a conversation with my other half about the abundance of fruit on local trees. Two Horse Chestnut trees along a road where I live have produced more " conkers" this year than Ive ever seen. Blackberries and Plums also in abundance .
    Best crop of cherries for years earlier this year. Same with blackberries, crap apples, elderberries, blackthorn (sloes). neighbour's pear tree laden with fruit.
    I've doubled up on Kilner jars this year for crab-apple whisky, cherry gin, wine etc. Some years are poor, you have to make it crack when it's this good. I thought the crazy temperatures in July would have seen off a lot of fruit, but it seems to have had the opposite effect.

Wow..crab-apple whisky. How would you describe the taste Redshank ?

Wink

Wow..crab-apple whisky. How would you describe the taste Redshank ?
    If you leave it long enough...3-5 years.... it has hints of Calvados (apple liqueur from Normandy). The problem is having the strength of will to leave it that long .... The answer is to make a batch each year
    You wouldn't want to eat a crab apple, but they are supposedly more flavoursome for this rather than ordinary "eaters" or "cookers"

Quote Originally Posted by Redshank View Post
    Best crop of cherries for years earlier this year. Same with blackberries, crap apples, elderberries, blackthorn (sloes). neighbour's pear tree laden with fruit.
    I've doubled up on Kilner jars this year for crab-apple whisky, cherry gin, wine etc. Some years are poor, you have to make it crack when it's this good. I thought the crazy temperatures in July would have seen off a lot of fruit, but it seems to have had the opposite effect.
    Crap apples ? Thought everybody had a good crop ?

What's the fruit harvest been like in South Yorks this year ? Just had a conversation with my other half about the abundance of fruit on local trees. Two Horse Chestnut trees along a road where I live have produced more " conkers" this year than Ive ever seen. Blackberries and Plums also in abundance .
    According to an apple grower on gardeners world the bumper crop is down to a cold, dry spring which was good for all the pollinators, hence a great harvest !

I have a brauburn (need spell check) apple tree and I've had a brilliant crop from it. Tbh I should have thinned it a bit as I've had loads of medium-small apples. Just finished a apple pie the Mrs made me and tbh it was delish

Quote Originally Posted by MILLERSTALE View Post
    Crap apples ? Thought everybody had a good crop ?

Quote Originally Posted by MILLERSTALE View Post
    According to an apple grower on gardeners world the bumper crop is down to a cold, dry spring which was good for all the pollinators, hence a great harvest !
    Over the pond, here in Washington State which grows the most apples in the US they are attributing a cold/wet spring to the reason the crop is down this year. 10 billion apples as opposed to the normal 12 billion, all picked by hand. We had loads of rain in May and early June and since then have only had 0.5" in the past 4 months. My apple crop is average. Apparently the only apple native to North America is the crab apple.

I've had a good crop of tomatoes, courgettes and potatoes but a mediocre crop of beans. No grapes this year as got fed up of them taking over the world so hacked them back at the end of last year and looking to retrain (restrain) them. On the flower side Dahlias were very late but have flourished since early August and are still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Over the pond, here in Washington State which grows the most apples in the US they are attributing a cold/wet spring to the reason the crop is down this year. 10 billion apples as opposed to the normal 12 billion, all picked by hand. We had loads of rain in May and early June and since then have only had 0.5" in the past 4 months. My apple crop is average. Apparently the only apple native to North America is the crab apple.

I've had a good crop of tomatoes, courgettes and potatoes but a mediocre crop of beans. No grapes this year as got fed up of them taking over the world so hacked them back at the end of last year and looking to retrain (restrain) them. On the flower side Dahlias were very late but have flourished since early August and are still going strong.
    Worse than grape vines is horseradish.
    Planted a bit, it's roots spread out like Japanese knot weed. And pops up all over.
    Grow it in a large pot instead.
    Grape vines are a bit of a mare though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast