+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barnsley v Exeter match thoughts

Barnsley v Exeter match thoughts

It's a game Roma alluded to in the PL thread and it's a game that's never left me all these years later .

I'm 15 years old at the time and excited to see this club's first bit of success in my young tenure , promotion from the 4th tier , I was a bit young for the 67/68 promotion to really understand the significance of it even though my old man and two uncles took me to the promotion winning game at Chester .

It's April 1977 and we go in at half time 3 to the good , at no point as a 15 year old do you see what's coming in the second half , you only learn that the hard way as the years roll on .

3-0 became 3-1 , a consolation at best for The Grecians , 3-1 quickly became 3-2 hmm and before you know it's 3-3 and then 4-3 to the visitors .

It was a stunning comeback and I was absolutely numb .

The thing is what's generally forgotten about is just how big a game this was at the time , it was basically a one game shoot out between ourselves and Exeter for the last remaining promotion spot with only one game remaining after this one .

I can tell you this , we go 3 nil up at half time on Saturday and I'm celebrating nowt .

I think Ive only known us play them once actually, in season '80.
    My first season and it was the Clarke/Hunter Third Division promotion season (what is now Lg One of course!).
    Could that be a good omen I wonder. 😉

Leetnin dunt strike twice Animal, well hopefully not!

A reckon they'll come up here and defend with 1 man up top. It could be a tricky fixture this, they're newly promoted and still riding the crest of a wave. To be fair they've had a decent start anorl. Ad tekka scrappy 1-0 win wi a Devante Cole knob end bundling it over the line late on in the game.

Think duff said they like to play 2 thirds up pitch,could be difficult to defend,hopefully out midfield will win the battle and release our forwards,early goal would be great.

A think I've been to their ground 3 times ? Long trip but always a good away day , decent fan's from what I remember , can't see them bringing many on Saturday though ,

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    A think I've been to their ground 3 times ? Long trip but always a good away day , decent fan's from what I remember , can't see them bringing many on Saturday though ,
    Visited twice , 79/80 a 2-1 defeat and 80/81 a 1-0 win courtesy of Glyn Riley .

Nice city too , usually have a day out there when we go to Torquay for a break .

Isn't their ground also called St James Park, just like the one at Newcastle. 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Isn't their ground also called St James Park, just like the one at Newcastle. 😊
    Who'd have thowt wid be laikin at Highbury and St James' Park in league 1 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Who'd have thowt wid be laikin at Highbury and St James' Park in league 1 🤔
    Yeah and Flockweed, sorry Fleetwood also play in the Arsenal style kit as well. 😉

A real banana skin of a game if ever I saw one .

We are on a decent run and a home game against opponents we should on paper beat plus the fact they've just lost their manager .

Interesting afternoon ahead and it will certainly give myself a good look at where we are at currently .

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast