+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Indy Ref 2

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    I'm afraid we need to delay the vote.

I know I've said it a thousand times but the english need to rejoin the European single market before Scotland will vote for independence.
    Why can't that be the other way around ? In fact it's my opinion that it benefits pro Europe English for Scotland to be Independence within the single market, My heart says Yes and my head say Oh Yes !

Because , in the build up to any sort of independence vote,they'll threaten us with a border we can't trade over.

Because , in the build up to any sort of independence vote,they'll threaten us with a border we can't trade over.
    I would once have said that would have been a bad thing having a border, but I think it will be enevitable at some point. I think I would offer to rebuild Hadrian's wall myself in the event of a yes vote.
    A shame it has come to that but only themselves to blame by voting for both Brexit and Tory.

Then they'll add the usual s'hite.

You won't be allowed East Enders, Coronation Street, arseholes duncing with sparkly costumes etc.

So the folk that dinna watch the duncing will be put off by the border and the folk that do watch the duncin won't even know what a border is.

Nae chunce.

And you're already taking that threat seriously DD, You really think the rUK can afford not to have a free trade deal with an Independent Scotland ? Given the state the UK economy is in it would be madness to risk driving it even further into decline, Its a bluff DD and was part of project fear in 2014.

Scotland has already been removed from the EU by the UK against the wishes of the Scottish people. Thats means if it becomes independent will have to apply to rejoin the EU, whereas that should be easy, as Scotland meets all the criteria and there is no waiting list etc, it will likely take two years or more. So Scotland will be free to negotiate access to the single market via immediate EFTA membership and will be free to negotiate with the rUK. it's a win win for us ! So that would take care of the first couple o years.
    After that 2 years or so we would fully join the EU, Once that happens we would have the same trade deal with the rUK as the rUK has with the EU. If England was daft enough to set up a hard border and tariffs with the EU so would Scotland (once in the EU) but that would also put the rUK on a downward spiral and dramatically lower the value of Sterling if indeed the pounds worth anything by then !!. As Scotland would either be using sterling(hope not) or would peg its own currency value to Sterling or even have our own currency by then ! perhaps the Euro if we meet the criteria ( I actually like the Euro) then all goods from Scotland would be cheaper for rUK buys than goods from the EU and so trade would increase with the rUK not decrease !!! and the rUK would be totally dependent on Scottish oil and gas and electricity supplies and of course renewables inaw,

Have you learned nothing from project fear Mark 1 Come on min don't fall for it again
    Last edited by stewarty27; 11-10-2022 at 10:25 PM.

You've picked me up wrong.

I never have fallen for it and I won't in the future.

Plenty will though.

Plenty will though.
    DD - I really think you are under estimating the mood after we got Brexit forced upon us. We didn't vote for it in 2016 and the implementation of Brexit hasn't converted anyone to the cause.
    Nobody can say their life is better because we have left the EU, well the usual clowns will say it has because they have a blue passport.

The actual hearing about the referendum taking place in a courtroom in England will be interesting, it will help the cause even more when they say we cannot have one as it means we are just a colony and not a country. I would even go as far to say that a lot of English people want us to leave the union also and not because of the usual Nigels reasons, but because they know the games up for the UK.

Plenty will though.
    Yup that's what I thought, But you need to be a bit more optimistic IMO ken

Optimistic about the Scottish electorate?

Naw, I made that mistake before

Optimistic about the Scottish electorate?

Naw, I made that mistake before

Aye point taken, The Scottish public just lack proper economic info (sorely lacking last time ) and a wee tad of imagination ,

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast