+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What needs to be done ?

What needs to be done ?

I have opened this thread up with hope that we can put some positive solutions to the clubs current plight, I know that we have quite a lot of differing opinions on this forum but we all want the club to be successful in differing ways. I as you know have quite a simplistic view the club needs more money for the first team how do we get it without jeopardising the clubs future ? Does the academy at its current level still serve a purpose would downgrading it still give us some first team players and in truth how much would that save us to plough into the first team ? Do we look to bring someone into the club with money they are prepared to spend and don’t want it back ? Do we sell Gresty Road and build a smaller ground on the outskirts of town and plough the additional money left over into the first team a small 6,000 capacity stadium would do there would still be plenty of room most match days. Do we trim non playing staff right down the academy seems to need an inordinate amount of staff to run it can we afford it ? Do we sell shares in the club to the fans with every single penny going to the first team ? It’s a start and I know a lot of the above will be pulled to pieces but non the less it’s a start. Answers on a postcard please.

Glad to see some attempt at discussing possible ideas to improve.
    This is not an attack but moving the ground possibly won't work because: a) we're about to hit a recession and land values will not work in favour of this; b) even without a) it depends on relative values of land and I can't see the difference being significant enough.
    As for the old argument about the academy: the only substantial difference to be gained is between an academy or no academy. Lower grades of academy would not provide significant increase in return. Abandoning the academy altogether would seriously decrease expenditure at source but would eliminate any added value for attracting new players. At the same time consider the poor performance of the last few games and think about the low number of academy players who appeared.
    I think many people would wish for a 'sugar daddy' to help finance the club. However, the club has, very recently, democratise the board with a maximum holding of 12.5% shares per individual/family, so the 'benefactor' idea would go against the recent direction.
    Nevertheless, just because the board is more 'democratic' doesn't necessarily mean it is effective. The problem with getting wealthy people in is that these people often want something in return. Getting anyone in to takeover the Alex is unlikely anyway as there are no celebrities/rich people associated with the club.
    I know all I've done is respond to some of your suggestions but I'll have a think and come back later.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    I have opened this thread up with hope that we can put some positive solutions to the clubs current plight, I know that we have quite a lot of differing opinions on this forum but we all want the club to be successful in differing ways. I as you know have quite a simplistic view the club needs more money for the first team how do we get it without jeopardising the clubs future ? Does the academy at its current level still serve a purpose would downgrading it still give us some first team players and in truth how much would that save us to plough into the first team ? Do we look to bring someone into the club with money they are prepared to spend and don’t want it back ? Do we sell Gresty Road and build a smaller ground on the outskirts of town and plough the additional money left over into the first team a small 6,000 capacity stadium would do there would still be plenty of room most match days. Do we trim non playing staff right down the academy seems to need an inordinate amount of staff to run it can we afford it ? Do we sell shares in the club to the fans with every single penny going to the first team ? It’s a start and I know a lot of the above will be pulled to pieces but non the less it’s a start. Answers on a postcard please.
    In response to one of your points regarding the sustainability of the Academy in whatever form, one thing to keep in mind is that our squad, whilst being thin in experience, is substantial in numbers. To down grade or scrap the Academy would lose any future prospects who we currently employ on pretty low wages whether they make the first team or not. If they do make the first team, they are given time to develop and improve and they earn more lucrative contract offers. Which will still be relatively low compared with the alternative of bringing in experienced (older) players probably nearing the end of their careers with no hope of any return on that investment.
    Selling the ground in the current climate may well not bring in the kind of money we would expect for it and sticking it on the outskirts of the town would adversely affect attendance.
    Trimming the non playing staff down sounds good in theory but one of the problems last season was that Dave Artell was doing pretty much everything bar making the half time brews! I think, in truth, none of us know what is involved in running a football club and without that knowledge it is difficult to say which jobs are essential and which aren't. A lot of time was spent last season with the board putting in place a structure to make the club more successful. If we have an academy then it is logical we will need a number of coaches reflecting the different age groups so think, on balance, I would trust those charged with running the club to do it in the best interests of the longevity of the club.

With respect to the manager's position, I would respectfully suggest that Dave Artell was considered out of his depth when first appointed. Indeed, I was one who privately questioned whether he was the right man for the job. Ultimately, he proved successful. So I am prepared to afford Alex Morris the time to sort out the issues with the first team.However I will say, it is unreasonable to sort it out in one or even two transfer windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    In response to one of your points regarding the sustainability of the Academy in whatever form, one thing to keep in mind is that our squad, whilst being thin in experience, is substantial in numbers. To down grade or scrap the Academy would lose any future prospects who we currently employ on pretty low wages whether they make the first team or not. If they do make the first team, they are given time to develop and improve and they earn more lucrative contract offers. Which will still be relatively low compared with the alternative of bringing in experienced (older) players probably nearing the end of their careers with no hope of any return on that investment.
    Selling the ground in the current climate may well not bring in the kind of money we would expect for it and sticking it on the outskirts of the town would adversely affect attendance.
    Trimming the non playing staff down sounds good in theory but one of the problems last season was that Dave Artell was doing pretty much everything bar making the half time brews! I think, in truth, none of us know what is involved in running a football club and without that knowledge it is difficult to say which jobs are essential and which aren't. A lot of time was spent last season with the board putting in place a structure to make the club more successful. If we have an academy then it is logical we will need a number of coaches reflecting the different age groups so think, on balance, I would trust those charged with running the club to do it in the best interests of the longevity of the club.

With respect to the manager's position, I would respectfully suggest that Dave Artell was considered out of his depth when first appointed. Indeed, I was one who privately questioned whether he was the right man for the job. Ultimately, he proved successful. So I am prepared to afford Alex Morris the time to sort out the issues with the first team.However I will say, it is unreasonable to sort it out in one or even two transfer windows.

I didn’t mention the manager in my thread but as you have raised the issue, after last season there is very little faith the fans have with the board and new management team and at the last home game and at Tranmere Friday the fans are already starting to turn Alex Morris problem is that he has absolutely no chips of faith in the bank with the fans, I suspect if by December are downward trajectory continues and a relegation battle is a possibility he will be gone. He could be our Liz Truss about as popular as a rattle snake in a lucky dip.

I note 4 triallists appeared for the under 21s. Wonder what the rationale for that is as AM has already declared that there are no funds for any more players. The triallist who appeared against Nantwich has already missed out- I wonder if he was one of them?

I think that we simply have to make the numbers up to put a team out, especially with fringe players being used tonight against Leeds U21's. Where these players are from I've no idea, probably get paid a few bob for turning out which suits both parties.m

Where is Long? He was supposed to be back in full training last week. Is he just a write off?

No Long in the U21 match today!!

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    No Long in the U21 match today!!

A slight set back again probably

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Where is Long? He was supposed to be back in full training last week. Is he just a write off?
    Back in full training but doing a mini pre season to try and avoid him breaking down again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast