+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽Match thread vs. Coalville Town FC 15.10.22 [FAC-QR4]

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    He probably does. The issue is getting someone in who will be happy to be back up but if enough quality to make a difference. Very difficult proposition
    My thoughts exactly, u have Langstaff who is virtually undroppable. I think Scott will get better and better, just unfortunate with his illness start of the season and then you want someone to come in with loads of quality but basically playing second fiddle to them. I’m just hoping through quite a bit of coaching they can get Mitchell going as he should offer something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    Although only Austin and Bajrami, showed the correct application, I thought Francis, Castro and Mitchell were shockingly bad.
    Austin and Bajrami can consider themselves genuinely unfortunate to not have played more first-team games, and I feel we can rely upon them when they do get the chance.

The other three you mention are just not reliable and have no long-term future at the club that I can see. I've seen Francis and Mitchell have good games from time to time and I've reserved judgement on them for that reason, but they aren't consistent, and yesterday's game is the final straw for me in terms of assessing their value. Yes, it was a team with a lot of changes, but if you can't impose yourself as a player against opposition like Coalville, then it's a bad show.

As for Quevin Castro, I'm afraid a couple of quality free kicks don't cover up the fact that he often seems to play like Bambi on Ice and is prone to give the ball away in bad positions. Frank Vincent for me is far more of a team player and a livewire presence when he plays, and I'd much sooner have him as midfield back-up than Castro.

Castro is 21. He won't be near his maximum potential at that age.

Francis is 23, joined us quite young too, and hasn't had enough match experience at the club.

If you didn't need them as backup players you could have them out on loan. Would likely do well at several other clubs in our league and get priceless match experience in the process.

Given they are club assets (literally on the balance sheet) it could even be worth backfilling their backup roles from the loan market and sending them off to get game time elsewhere. Maybe Mitchell too.

That said, Castro's had a few games where he's come in off the bench and if that can keep up it's probably enough for him to progress. It gets very fiddly though when there's 3-4 players in that state though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jampie View Post
    Castro is 21. He won't be near his maximum potential at that age.

Francis is 23, joined us quite young too, and hasn't had enough match experience at the club.

If you didn't need them as backup players you could have them out on loan. Would likely do well at several other clubs in our league and get priceless match experience in the process.

Given they are club assets (literally on the balance sheet) it could even be worth backfilling their backup roles from the loan market and sending them off to get game time elsewhere. Maybe Mitchell too.

That said, Castro's had a few games where he's come in off the bench and if that can keep up it's probably enough for him to progress. It gets very fiddly though when there's 3-4 players in that state though.
    Yes, when we were in higher leagues, the squad on the back of the match programme was up to twice the size it is today and we'd have several of these types of the players. Our current squad however is much smaller - which isn't a bad thing because quality is better than quantity - but it does mean every player in that small squad needs to be capable of making a good quality, consistent contribution to the first team in the likely eventuality that they will be required at some point. I don't have great confidence that Francis, Mitchell and Castro tick that box.

The other thing about squad depth at this level is there not being a transfer window. Obviously pray it doesn’t happen but if, say, Palmer, Rodrigues or Langstaff got an injury that kept them out for a significant length of time, I don’t think we’d end up relying on Francis or Mitchell, we’d sign someone else.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 16-10-2022 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Fixed typo for clarity

What a huge disappointment this result was. It called to mind Rhyl in 1957. I was 11 at the time. We are nowhere near a strong enough outfit to top the National League. Nor is it true that it's a good thing being out of the cup because we can concentrate on the league. Stockport put together a lucrative run last year and walked the league. If anything, performances in the Cup serve to bolster the league showings.
    In the end, Notts nearly always let you down.
    Last edited by sidders; 16-10-2022 at 03:36 PM.

Stockport's lucrative run in the FA Trophy bolstered their title win?

Ermmmm ok Sidders. I'll take your word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    What a huge disappointment this result was. It called to mind Rhyl in 1957. I was 11 at the time. We are nowhere near a strong enough outfit to top the National League. Nor is it true that it's a good thing being out of the cup because we can concentrate on the league. Stockport put together a lucrative run last year and walked the league. If anything, performances in the Cup serve to bolster the league showings.
    In the end, Notts nearly always let you down.
    But we are top and currently the best team in the division

Quote Originally Posted by Warnocks Legends View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one who still thanks the The FA Cup matters. I get the the league is our no.1 priority but surely the chance to earn extra cash and keep our momentum going is important too. Today our second string really missed there chance but Luke also has to take some responsibility for a line up that gave the initiative to Coalville .
    Making so many changes hardly ever works. However, perhaps we were just overdue a reverse - we have been riding our luck lately. If this is the case, then better it was not in a league game. Hopefully it's just a blip and not a dip!

As for Friday's game, I don't think this loss adds any pressure. The pressure is on every game - even more so with only one auto promotion.

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast