+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The importance of footballing coaches

The importance of footballing coaches

So we hear Emery will bring in his own and I have said it before, I hope he keeps Danks for continuity. If you look at the Demise of both Deano and Gerrard, their assistant Coach left leaving them rather exposed tactically, one man making all the decisions is dangerous, as tunnel vision often ends in disaster. You need the bounce but also a Manager who will listen so Emery coming in with his staff should be good for us, we expect some news this week but I hear his head coach is only 23 but his assistant is 55, tbc sorry I cannot remember the Names. The Villa job is a tough job and regardless of his previous success has his work cut out, an unbelievable start, Manure in his first 2 games! Could be brilliant, could be a disater! I'm sure he has started already and will take a look at everyone especially in training with all those who are not at the WC. I just hope him and his team settle quickly and stay local not like Gerrard who I'm told only attended training twice a week? So guys let's be patient with him and his team, this stupid timing of the world Cup will be frustrating but also may work in his favour!

Mmmmmm, maybe.

Clough without Taylor, springs to mind.

Then there was Smith swapping Kelly for Danks, Ooops, never mind

Right place at the right time, seems to work. Never good to look too deep into something.

There seems to be a connection, both Beale and Terry left at short notice before the start of the season, it must have upset the players! Apparently Critchley is not A cardboard cut out, did he ever say anything?

JT left in June I think Dave?

anyone else sick to death of so-called pundits saying a/ the players let down Gerrard or b/ the villa got rid of him far too quickly?
    we as villa fans knew he should have gone two months ago... the players didnt let him down his system/ man management let him down.

Yep - it took only a few minutes of the Gerrard love-in before I switched off, the man himself made a classy statement but as per usual the media just like to stir things up, especially talksh1te so that listeners call in.

Initially i thought after the match that the players stopped playing for him. However after reading your evaluation on the game Westy it was clear there is much more to it and Gerrard was clearly not utilising the side and sticking round objects in square holes. It was interesting to see Watkins play on the wing too where i think hes better suited and adds a bit of physically compared to Buendier or Courtinho.
    Luiz/Donk gelled well and having Kamara back at some point will do us for now. No weakness there. I think we need to sell Digne and Maybe ings if better players become available.

I'm really disappointed in Digne Bongo, in defence he's asleep to opponents running in behind when the play is down our left, he's an international FFS - look how Young reads situations, not seen a Villa player do so since the great man and in fairness to Digne has been head & shoulders above everyone else on the pitch.

Against Fulham our set up was so bad it looked as if they had 3 or 4 extra players, once Kamara was injured he leaves Nakamba & Dendoncker on the bench but persists with McGinn in a role he isn't good at and hasn't had a good game for ages. Danks had it fixed from the off in open play and set plays, everyone winning their individual battles - it's a simple game. McGinn excels for Scotland in the central attacking role and should be competing with Buendia & Coutinho for a place.

Luiz - my word was he good last Sunday, tenacious out of possession and ran the entire length of the pitch to defend after a corner came to nothing, Bailey too was very focused. On reflection perhaps the players were fed up and bored of Gerrard ball, as were the fans.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)