+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Stadium Proposal - Dee4Life statement

Stadium Proposal - Dee4Life statement

We have been asked by BBC Scotland’s The Nine to take part in a feature about the proposed new stadium development at Camperdown. In this we will be outlining the Trust’s position on ‘Nou Campy’ and, as such, we wanted to share this with our members and the wider Dundee support.

Dee4Life has always been supportive of the stadium development in principle, however there are many outstanding questions that we believe the club needs to address.
    The public meetings hosted by Dark Blue Property Holdings as part of the planning process provide an opportunity for the public to understand the implications of the development for the city, but our priority is the impact on Dundee Football Club.
    Our concerns include:
    • The prospect of Dens Park being sold before completion of the new stadium, depriving the club of a safety net
    • The lack of clarity over ownership of the new stadium
    • The lack of clarity on the prospect of interim groundsharing
    • The apparent absence of a Plan B should the Camperdown project fall through
    • Exposure of the club to risks associated with inflation and rising interest rates facing DBPH

Dee4Life, on behalf of all Dundee fans, are custodians of the ‘A-Shares’ which provide the support with additional rights, including protection against the club playing its home games away from Dens Park for any period exceeding one year. The Trust is committed to representing its members and the wider Dundee support to ensure their views are heard.

Therefore, we have written to John Nelms and Tim Keyes to ask that they, as owners of both DBPH and Dundee FC meet with representatives of supporters, shareholders and other stakeholders to discuss the specific impact the development will have on the club. The relationship between the club and DBPH, including expected lease terms with either DBPH or any future owners and details of the risk/benefits for Dundee, is crucial.

We believe a new stadium could prove to be transformative for Dundee but there are examples of clubs who have found themselves in perilous situations because their own dream moves have turned sour. Our own club has twice been placed in administration because the ambitious plans of previous owners were not built on robust foundations. As a result, transparency and engagement are essential to ensure we do not make the same mistake again.
    We welcome all views on this and other matters so please feel free to share your own opinions on the development by contacting us on contact@dee4life.com.

Quote Originally Posted by dayster View Post
    We have been asked by BBC Scotland’s The Nine to take part in a feature about the proposed new stadium development at Camperdown. In this we will be outlining the Trust’s position on ‘Nou Campy’ and, as such, we wanted to share this with our members and the wider Dundee support.

Dee4Life has always been supportive of the stadium development in principle, however there are many outstanding questions that we believe the club needs to address.
    The public meetings hosted by Dark Blue Property Holdings as part of the planning process provide an opportunity for the public to understand the implications of the development for the city, but our priority is the impact on Dundee Football Club.
    Our concerns include:
    • The prospect of Dens Park being sold before completion of the new stadium, depriving the club of a safety net
    • The lack of clarity over ownership of the new stadium
    • The lack of clarity on the prospect of interim groundsharing
    • The apparent absence of a Plan B should the Camperdown project fall through
    • Exposure of the club to risks associated with inflation and rising interest rates facing DBPH

Dee4Life, on behalf of all Dundee fans, are custodians of the ‘A-Shares’ which provide the support with additional rights, including protection against the club playing its home games away from Dens Park for any period exceeding one year. The Trust is committed to representing its members and the wider Dundee support to ensure their views are heard.

Therefore, we have written to John Nelms and Tim Keyes to ask that they, as owners of both DBPH and Dundee FC meet with representatives of supporters, shareholders and other stakeholders to discuss the specific impact the development will have on the club. The relationship between the club and DBPH, including expected lease terms with either DBPH or any future owners and details of the risk/benefits for Dundee, is crucial.

We believe a new stadium could prove to be transformative for Dundee but there are examples of clubs who have found themselves in perilous situations because their own dream moves have turned sour. Our own club has twice been placed in administration because the ambitious plans of previous owners were not built on robust foundations. As a result, transparency and engagement are essential to ensure we do not make the same mistake again.
    We welcome all views on this and other matters so please feel free to share your own opinions on the development by contacting us on contact@dee4life.com.
    Curious.

If we have moved how does the A shares provide protection against playing away from Dens Park if Dens Park is flattened.

I would have thought they offer no protection once the dirty deed is done or am I missing the bleeding obvious.

Genuine open question.

And when you say "we believe a new stadium could be transformative" is that the board members of dfcss members?

Not disagreeing it "could" be but it's not where I particularly want to watch my football.

Personal view - I read it as you have, if the ground is not available to us then the club can start a ground share for up to a year but there is no provision should Dens be permanently unavailable

Personal view - I read it as you have, if the ground is not available to us then the club can start a ground share for up to a year but there is no provision should Dens be permanently unavailable
    And that to me is where the danger lies.

As you probably know I don't want to leave Dens but if that's what the fans/owners want then good luck.....genuinely good luck.

But there's so much danger here.

It’s the members view, feedback from survey that was issued which indicated support in principle and transformative was a key word used in feedback

It’s the members view, feedback from survey that was issued which indicated support in principle and transformative was a key word used in feedback
    Ok cheers.......I filled it in but couldn't remember the questions.

Transformation can be positive and negative.

Not saying it would necessarily be negative in this instance but some fans won't want to watch Dundee FC at another home. For many, and I'll include myself to an extent although I'd probably not think this way if it actually happened, Dens park is part of the Dundee FC whole and moving will diminish the football experience considerably. Dundee FC memories are entrenched with Dens Park - European nights, relegating them, Bob Glennie's 300 yard strike gainst Aberdeen (time helps to exaggerate), The Bonetti years, Sofien Moussa and the ralisation that anyone could get a game under McCann - even me etc etc etc. These memories flood back when you're at Dens but if we were to move it'd be a new start in many more ways than some realise as these memories will be 'sterilised' at least and eventually will disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Transformation can be positive and negative.

Not saying it would necessarily be negative in this instance but some fans won't want to watch Dundee FC at another home. For many, and I'll include myself to an extent although I'd probably not think this way if it actually happened, Dens park is part of the Dundee FC whole and moving will diminish the football experience considerably. Dundee FC memories are entrenched with Dens Park - European nights, relegating them, Bob Glennie's 300 yard strike gainst Aberdeen (time helps to exaggerate), The Bonetti years, Sofien Moussa and the ralisation that anyone could get a game under McCann - even me etc etc etc. These memories flood back when you're at Dens but if we were to move it'd be a new start in many more ways than some realise as these memories will be 'sterilised' at least and eventually will disappear.
    For all the same reasons Dens is our home for me, nothing else would be Dens.

For the kids and the future I can see an argument to move, including that for a long long time our Dens experience has been failure.

I would have preferred a much less expensive extension and upgrade to the South Enclosure but that's just for us and I also get that once a fortnight income just isn't enough.

The biggest fear is leaving Dens and not having a home at all. We have no viability on how long or where that would be. Could kill is on its own

Quote Originally Posted by Deebunked View Post
    For all the same reasons Dens is our home for me, nothing else would be Dens.

For the kids and the future I can see an argument to move, including that for a long long time our Dens experience has been failure.

I would have preferred a much less expensive extension and upgrade to the South Enclosure but that's just for us and I also get that once a fortnight income just isn't enough.

The biggest fear is leaving Dens and not having a home at all. We have no viability on how long or where that would be. Could kill is on its own
    last line absolutely spot on ---------------we have to be very very very careful

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)