+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrow

Barrow

5-600 said to be going on Saturday. Unfortunately, I won't be one of them as I'm spending 2 weeks in the Costa del Sol. That apart, are we looking forward to the experience of the Alex's first trip to Barrow in 50 years? The Bluebirds have not one, not two but 3 former Alex players amongst their number. Mark Ellis probably won't play but the other 2 might. Billy Waters has previous in the returning player stakes, scoring against us for Cheltenham and I wouldn't be surprised if he did it again. However, the other, George Ray, intrigues me. In Alex red he often popped up at the back post and scored a goal. Yet, he suffered from believing he was actually a better ball-player than he actually was. This, in addition to his meandering attention span occasionally led to a clanger offering up goalscoring opportunities for the opposition. Add to this a bit of a temper and he is ripe for a bit of Sambou treatment. I'm not suggesting Bass is underhand in any way, just that he can be a bloody nuisance at times, to other defences (he may actually get around to scoring again, sometime, too!)
    Anyway, there is an element of unpredictability attached to this game so I can't decide: a 1-0 win or a 3-0 loss!😬

Billy Waters will defo score against us.
    Just a question of whether we can get our scoring boots on and manage to win it. I think not...yet another 1-1 draw.

I wonder what the odds are for them both to score? I will be very interested to see our starting line up today, spare me O Finney please, we improved greatly the other night when the subs were introduced. Sambou really occupied Wimbledons defence but when will he actually score a goal? CBR looks like he won't be playing, our only reliable player to score when presented with a chance.
    I have been very impressed with Barrow this season and I will predict a 2-0 loss. I wonder if MikeSB will be making the trip, Barrow must hold a few sentimental memories for him, a ground I confess to have never visited. I wish a safe journey to all our loyal and suffering supporters and hope against hope for an unlikely win.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    5-600 said to be going on Saturday. Unfortunately, I won't be one of them as I'm spending 2 weeks in the Costa del Sol. That apart, are we looking forward to the experience of the Alex's first trip to Barrow in 50 years? The Bluebirds have not one, not two but 3 former Alex players amongst their number. Mark Ellis probably won't play but the other 2 might. Billy Waters has previous in the returning player stakes, scoring against us for Cheltenham and I wouldn't be surprised if he did it again. However, the other, George Ray, intrigues me. In Alex red he often popped up at the back post and scored a goal. Yet, he suffered from believing he was actually a better ball-player than he actually was. This, in addition to his meandering attention span occasionally led to a clanger offering up goalscoring opportunities for the opposition. Add to this a bit of a temper and he is ripe for a bit of Sambou treatment. I'm not suggesting Bass is underhand in any way, just that he can be a bloody nuisance at times, to other defences (he may actually get around to scoring again, sometime, too!)
    Anyway, there is an element of unpredictability attached to this game so I can't decide: a 1-0 win or a 3-0 loss!��

The bench looks very poor today as I don’t think CBR will feature at all and is just on the bench to mask the fact we are woefully short, I’m afraid our winless run is going to continue and a comprehensive 3-0 defeat heading our way.

Clearly, we're on a bit of a downward spiral but fortunately we have no league games for a fortnight. Granted, an FA Cup defeat won't help but there is time to pull things together alongside the possible 'return' of at least two players. I say return but it will be like having two new players with Long and Colkett getting closer to fitness (the latter according to McGarry on RS).
    I know that problems are greater than just a couple of players but it will be a proven striker and an attacking midfielder being 'introduced'.
    Ah well! We can but hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    The bench looks very poor today as I don’t think CBR will feature at all and is just on the bench to mask the fact we are woefully short, I’m afraid our winless run is going to continue and a comprehensive 3-0 defeat heading our way.

I thank you club getting exactly what they deserve amateur at board level, kiddie coaches managing the first team, piss poor budget, players on the bench who are injured, failing to protect the younger members of the squad and get them injured, I have held back until now but Morris is not what the club needs send him back coaching the kids and get Neil Critchley in to manage the first team, Crewesing for the non league unless changes are made.

The results are appalling and unacceptable. The tactics are so boring. The future looks bleak. It is the correct period of the season for AM to go. I have to question the selection of the manager in the first place. Anyone who had seen a number of under23 games with him in charge would have known that his tactical ability was limited. Oh I know that is not the Crewe way, but in fact it is the Crewe way that has got us in this position. We have an abundance of coaches that need removing ASAP. Maybe a good idea to ask Klopp or Pep if they know of any young up and coming coaches in Europe/

Quote Originally Posted by lukcour View Post
    The results are appalling and unacceptable. The tactics are so boring. The future looks bleak. It is the correct period of the season for AM to go. I have to question the selection of the manager in the first place. Anyone who had seen a number of under23 games with him in charge would have known that his tactical ability was limited. Oh I know that is not the Crewe way, but in fact it is the Crewe way that has got us in this position. We have an abundance of coaches that need removing ASAP. Maybe a good idea to ask Klopp or Pep if they know of any young up and coming coaches in Europe/
    Well, being my name was mentioned on this thread so I will post something. My trip to Barrow was about 62 years ago and I had arranged to go on the train with a mate and he did not turn up and so went on my own and never saw another Crewe fan at that game as a heck of a place to get too. It was very foggy that afteroon and the game should have been called off as I could not see ten yards but the game went on and in those days you could mix with other fans and I went around and around the ground trying to see some football. I did not see one goal but we won about 3-1 and I went out the ground and got the train that only went as far as Preston with another train to Crewe about 2 hours later...I therefore went to the local cinema in Preston and then took the train home. Barrow only lasted another year or two before they went into non league. The football today? I cannot comment except to say we were a Division one club last season and Barrow were generally non league and shows that the club has lost its way with far too much emphasis on a gone by days of academy where the art was and still is pass the bloody ball and why nobody seems to know the general idea was to get players UP the bloody pitch to score them and not hang about like some aka Real Madrin team being told nonsense by so called coaches. Players should be signed on ability not what you could expect in ten years or more. Its ridiculous having an academy with under 16 players in it...Its why graduates are no where near fit enough or strong enough to play in the lower leagues or even higher and you rarely see the younger ones playing in PL and Championship and so what then IS the purpose of an academy? Players not good enough for the higher leagues apart from the odd one like Nick Powell who is forever injured etc and players not good enough to play basement league and probably even non league. Lots of non league clubs have far higher gates than we do and all we seem to do is to advertise for more and more coaches...and meanwhile the Crewe BoD sit on their hands...Its time to get rid of ALL the academy and the coaches and go back to selecting players who can play this game when we actually could beat clubs like Barrow and Accrington. Coaches have ruined the game of football like the tennis bashers who cannot lob the ball over the net nowadays...And money is the name of the game...

BTW, I heard AM say the trip to Barrow was an overnight stay like the one last Tuesday and again wonder why the club does things like that when you can get to places within a very short time and Barrow a couple of hours or less by road and so why an overnight stay where a couple of dozen people have to have an evening meal, bed and breakfast and aniother midday meal? 5 grand is the figure mentioned....and AM said some of the players were not up to the game today? Good grief! I may tell you about the match I attended at Darlington around 1960 and was waiting outside the ground around 2pm and the Alex Captain turned up in his car with all the players kits in a basket in his boot of his car and he gave us two complimentary tickets for the match but we had paid anyway...The score was 1-1...No overnight stay for players in those days and no flippin academies but they were still great days to be fans....

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    BTW, I heard AM say the trip to Barrow was an overnight stay like the one last Tuesday and again wonder why the club does things like that when you can get to places within a very short time and Barrow a couple of hours or less by road and so why an overnight stay where a couple of dozen people have to have an evening meal, bed and breakfast and aniother midday meal? 5 grand is the figure mentioned....and AM said some of the players were not up to the game today? Good grief! I may tell you about the match I attended at Darlington around 1960 and was waiting outside the ground around 2pm and the Alex Captain turned up in his car with all the players kits in a basket in his boot of his car and he gave us two complimentary tickets for the match but we had paid anyway...The score was 1-1...No overnight stay for players in those days and no flippin academies but they were still great days to be fans....
    A couple of hours to Barrow, good luck with that one.....Professional clubs and quite a few non league do overnight, it's all about giving the team the best chance of success.

A couple of things, AM can talk for a long time without saying anything and I wonder why we weren't in for Josh Gordon, lives locally and knows where the net is.

AM talked about the trapdoor which I thought was a bit presumptuous and negative, we are not there yet but improvement is necessary and quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast