+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: We got what we wanted...

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_dumfries View Post
    Wullie looked a broken man in his after match interview.
    Aye he did and it's also obvious that he looks at social media which will do his mindset no good either.

The saddest thing is that Queens have tried to highlight the importance of looking after our mental health, yet our manager appears to be struggling with regards to the after match interview. Why do we put people through this after they've lost a match and played badly? We all know that 24 hours is a long time in football, and all Wullie and the players need is a rest, followed by a good training session to sort out the mistakes.

Let's remember, this was one bad result not five in a row and we had 3 top players out. Man City had one player out and they struggled to win 1-0!.

Granted we did not play well, but a wee bit of perspective is requires methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    The saddest thing is that Queens have tried to highlight the importance of looking after our mental health, yet our manager appears to be struggling with regards to the after match interview. Why do we put people through this after they've lost a match and played badly? We all know that 24 hours is a long time in football, and all Wullie and the players need is a rest, followed by a good training session to sort out the mistakes.

Let's remember, this was one bad result not five in a row and we had 3 top players out. Man City had one player out and they struggled to win 1-0!.

Granted we did not play well, but a wee bit of perspective is requires methinks.
    This has nothing to do with mental health and everything about not being up to the job. This is the managers team with most of the players signed by him. I didn’t see much mental health issues when he got the job or when he won a few games. Tell me a time this season when he has kept a winning side for the following week. It’s always about changing the side to stop the opposition rather than having the opposition worry about us. We have never played with any width and mostly with one up front, yet when he changes things late in games we suddenly start looking the part, so why not start like that.
    You say a little bit of perspective. This isn’t just about Saturday. It’s one of a number of poor performances this season so the perspective is certainly there. Annan, Clyde, Dunfermline, Falkirk Kelly etc etc shows the standards we are at.
    Are we the worst in the league. Far from it. But we are certainly nowhere near being the best and bearing in mind we are in the second lowest league we should certainly be one of the best at least.
    We have a keeper who struggles to catch a ball, two centre halves who don’t like to tackle, a right back who isn’t exactly quick. A centre forward who always plays despite hardly kicking a ball for us when he has played and doesn’t exactly put in the work he once did, wingers that are either left on the bench or played out of position and mostly, players that don’t seem to be playing for him. I could go on and on
    So jardi, I am sorry this isn’t one bad result and like I said it’s nothing to do with mental health and simply an inability to get the best out of this squad of players that he has brought in

Here's a question :-
    From the long list of available, hence unemployed and by implication previously sacked for doing a poor job, would people choose as a replacement for Wullie if he were to step down or be dismissed?

Quote Originally Posted by fatfan View Post
    It’s always about changing the side to stop the opposition rather than having the opposition worry about us.
    I listened to a very interesting podcast with Gordon Strachan on BBC Sounds the other day (Cammy & Ben's Podcast or something like that).

Strachan was saying how, when he first went to Celtic, after about 3 weeks he took his coaches aside and told them that they had to stop thinking about how they were going to stop the opposition and start thinking about how they could break the opposition down. I wonder if William has the mindset to be able to make that change?

I think that is completely insulting and not worthy of posting.

Do you mean my post? Don't see how? Iain Scott was a brilliant coach who just couldn't adjust to being a manager. I remember Davie Rae criticizing Iain McCall for never being at training, yet McCall assembled the best squad we ever had. Different people have different skills and I just wonder if William's skills suit an attacking style of play? Not saying he definitely isn't capable of it, but so far he does seem to be more from the Iain Scott school of stopping the opposition.

Looking back in the thread, I'm assuming it wasn't my post jardi was referring to, but I would like to look further at my Gordon Strachan comparison. Strachan's point was that he went from managing Coventry & Southampton, both of whom were among the weaker teams in their league, to Celtic, by far one of the top teams in theirs, and he had to totally rethink how he played the game. Gibson has gone from managing one of the weaker teams in The Championship to what should be one of the stronger teams in league one. Strachan at least had the advantage that he had experienced playing for a top team, I may be wrong but I can't recall Gibson having experienced that often in his playing career?

Jardi if that is aimed at me I really don’t see what’s insulting about disagreeing with you. There has been plenty where you have disagreed with me in the past and at no time have I been insulted. Your saying put Saturday in perspective. I’m saying no because it’s not just about Saturday, it’s about half the season. You said yourself on a separate subject that queens have under achieved this season. So your agreeing with what I have said to a point with that comment

To clarify, I felt that it was insulting of the only team in the bible to suggest that Wullie is incapable of changing his mindset. I honestly don't think for one moment that Wullie is not capable of breaking the opposition down. Gordon Strachan is a top coach and he was speaking from his own experience and therefore had every right to make that statement. In my humble opinion it was wrong for the OT in the Bible to make the comparison with Wullie, but of course I may be wrong.
    I suspect that the only way to resolve this discussion would be for the OT in the Bible to have a private chat with Wullie and find out. If he does, perhaps he might like to enlighten us all.
    Until then, I do stand by my statement and I felt it was insulting.
    I trust that clarifies matters?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)