+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: We got what we wanted...

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    To clarify, I felt that it was insulting of the only team in the bible to suggest that Wullie is incapable of changing his mindset. I honestly don't think for one moment that Wullie is not capable of breaking the opposition down. Gordon Strachan is a top coach and he was speaking from his own experience and therefore had every right to make that statement. In my humble opinion it was wrong for the OT in the Bible to make the comparison with Wullie, but of course I may be wrong.
    I suspect that the only way to resolve this discussion would be for the OT in the Bible to have a private chat with Wullie and find out. If he does, perhaps he might like to enlighten us all.
    Until then, I do stand by my statement and I felt it was insulting.
    I trust that clarifies matters?
    Ah that clears that up then. Over to you ot

Quite surprised at jardi's reaction to that as usually you are open to debate, may have been the way I worded it? I think my 2nd post clarify's what I mean. Strachan had to change his thinking from how he was going to stop the opposition playing to how he was going to break them down. Gibson needs to do the same thing. As he admits himself, he's still learning, he tried something new on Saturday, it didn't work, I'm sure he's learnt from this. The question is, how long can we give him to "learn on the job". Personally, and this probably didn't come across in my initial post, I'd like to give him this season, as long as we don't slip into relegation trouble.

Just to add, not being insulting to Gibson and a really solid 20+ career, but I don't remember him playing for a completely dominant side very often. He'll have spent the last 20 years learning from managers setting their tactics to match the opposition at best. He'll rarely have seen a manager saying "let the opposition worry about us". I mean no insult to him by saying this will be his mindset, it would be amazing if it wasn't!

I'm on my High Horse now ☺️. When Liverpool were looking for a new manager, did they go to Jose Morinho and say "you're a really good manager, come and manage us....but we need you to totally change the way you think about the game" or did they go to Jürgen Klopp and say "you're a really good manager and you already play the game the way we want to". Why do you think they went for option 2? Because its really difficult to change your way of thinking after 20 odd years. I'm not insulting Gibson by expecting him to do it when very few others can and I don't need to sit down for a quite word with him, he's said himself in interviews that he is still learning his trade.

Sometimes less is best.

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Only Team in The Bible View Post
    Just to add, not being insulting to Gibson and a really solid 20+ career, but I don't remember him playing for a completely dominant side very often. He'll have spent the last 20 years learning from managers setting their tactics to match the opposition at best. He'll rarely have seen a manager saying "let the opposition worry about us". I mean no insult to him by saying this will be his mindset, it would be amazing if it wasn't!
    You make a good point about Wullie being an extremely experienced football player and this makes me wonder why he’s getting so many tactical decisions wrong…

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Wow!
    Got a conversation going on this board for the first time in a while at least.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_dumfries View Post
    You make a good point about Wullie being an extremely experienced football player and this makes me wonder why he’s getting so many tactical decisions wrong…
    Surely his experienced assistant Grant Murray and Wullie work on tactics all the time but the chopping and changing of line - ups doesn't help nor does the fact that our squad contains some good players who never seem to play a decent amount of consecutive games.

[QUOTE=fatfan;40149308]The manager has to go now, along with the man who put him there. The club is an absolute shambles from top to bottom. And unfortunately the manager is nowhere near up to the job[/QUO

Really. Are you wise....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)