+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Strengthening in Jan....

Same here, was delighted when we signed him and thought it would keep JG for another season, he is a good player as we saw from his contributions in the middle third vs Brighton. He works very hard but looks like he's carrying a few pounds and like Merse was for a while he can't give it his all for 90mins.

Bong - Grealish ain't coming back and he isn't struggling either, he's dining at the top table now & might be target for another top club where he'd get more minutes. I think he likes being amongst the likes of Walker, Foden and Stones too.

Tammy would be a realistic target for us, Watkins can do a job on the wing and has to get used to rotation as we strengthen. Bailey is becoming the player we thought we'd signed, strong and progressive, able to score & assist. Not keen on Zaha to be honest, a proper crybaby when he's not having it his own way.

Fair points Westy. I was thinking about this driving home last night from work.
    If we are to become a top 6 side ok forget about city but be in contention with the other 5 we need a few good players. We forget we were relegation foder a few seasons ago and thats usually the case after being promoted. So the next step was to get us to midtable and the majority of the signings were mid table signings and to take us to the next level we need another clear out.

Who in our squad can play at top 6 level

Martinez = yes
    Cash = maybe
    Costa = probably
    Mings = mid table player
    Konza = maybe probably due to age
    Chambers = mid table
    Digne = mid table
    Young = mid table
    McGinn = midtable
    Ramsey = probably
    Luiz =maybe
    Kamara = probably
    Buendier = not sure
    Bailey = not sure
    Watkins = mid table
    Ings = mid table

So basically if i was the manager i would have

Martinez
    Cash konza Carlos ?
    Luiz Kamara Ramsey
    Buendier

Buendier Cash and Konza are questionably so basically we need to add proper quality to the names above if we want to improve.
    We have to msny mid table players a few years ago it was great but now if we mean buisness we need quality not quantity.

Omg i talk alot of bolloxs

For once your assessment is bang on Bong (mind,im not saying which bit). I think to be fair, until Unai has had a few weeks around them, its hard to work out who stays and who goes. For example, Ings, like one or two others on here I was pleased when he arrived, never the fittest but a proven goal scorer, fair to say that hasnt happened since he arrived, but maybe a good coach could get 2 years out of him as long as their styles suit each other? Same could be said for a few others to I think, I dont think we will see wholesale changes in personnel just yet, maybe a bit of strengthening in January if the right players are available, but mostly the same squad till summer. In Unai we trust....I hope

I'd agree with almost all of that Bong, I don't think we've seen the best of Digne, I'd not been impressed up until the Brighton game when he was very good. Balley I think is top 6, just needs careful man management.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)