+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Race to be Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    Indeed. Why would we be surrendering to a team who is 3 points behind us.
    The trick is for LW and the players not to be frightened of Wrexham catching up, but to stay motivated to go for a win in each game. The last thing they need is to be looking over their shoulders.

the race will ebb and flow. my betting is that since we have been down here whoever was top at the start of November didnt win the league. Just need to keep doing what we are doing and inevitably when there is a dip in form or a few injuries we need a little bit of luck as champions always do and to just grind out results. Do that we will be top 3 easily. Anything else is a lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    Who thinks we are becoming obsessed with staying ahead of Wexham. We are already in a great position to make the top three, and therefore have the shorter play off campaign with a home semi, and a neutral final. A far easier route to promotion than the last two years.
    It would be nice to stay ahead of Wrexham all season and be crowned champions, but the prize is the same going up through the play offs, something I would be very confident in achieving with this LW team, given a second or third place finish.
    Just trying to find a way to unclench my bum cheeks
    We are going to be champions. So unclench the cheeks. We're going all the way

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
    We are going to be champions. So unclench the cheeks. We're going all the way
    I'm hoping Bob's accounts been hacked or the above is a very bad sign for all involved at Notts

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    the race will ebb and flow. my betting is that since we have been down here whoever was top at the start of November didnt win the league. Just need to keep doing what we are doing and inevitably when there is a dip in form or a few injuries we need a little bit of luck as champions always do and to just grind out results. Do that we will be top 3 easily. Anything else is a lottery.
    Correct with no team top at the start of November since being here went on to win the league. In fact all 3 remain in the National League. Bromley, 2019. Torquay 2020 and 2021 Borehamwood.
    In fact the teams that went on to win the leagues at the start of November were Barrow in 5th. Sutton in 3rd. Stockport were 9th.
    Personally, it will be different this season as I can’t see anyone out of the top 2 being champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Correct with no team top at the start of November since being here went on to win the league. In fact all 3 remain in the National League. Bromley, 2019. Torquay 2020 and 2021 Borehamwood.
    In fact the teams that went on to win the leagues at the start of November were Barrow in 5th. Sutton in 3rd. Stockport were 9th.
    Personally, it will be different this season as I can’t see anyone out of the top 2 being champions.
    In past seasons when we have been top at the start of November where did we end up?

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    In past seasons when we have been top at the start of November where did we end up?
    5th, the last time (Nolan)

Time before that, 8th (Brazil)

Time before that, 1st (Allardyce), though we dropped to 4th late November before nestling into the top of the tree for good from mid-December.

What is going on at Southend is a bit of a concern. I thought it was all trouble their end but they are on a great run of form at the minute. I know nothing about them…who have they recruited this year? A new manager also?

Playing them away next week will tell us a lot about our chances imo. Champions would win 0-1…have we got that in us? It’s important we beat them if only for the positive mindset it’d give us if we had to face them in the playoffs.

I don't know, probably just my negative Notts mindset but I still need convincing that we are the real deal this year.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 01-11-2022 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    What is going on at Southend is a bit of a concern. I thought it was all trouble their end but in are on a great run of form at the minute. I know nothing about them…who have they recruited this year? A new manager also?

Playing them away next week will tell us a lot about our chances imo. Champions would win 0-1…have we got that in us? It’s ill my portent we beat them if only for the positive mindset it’d give us if we had to face them in the playoffs.

I dunno, probably just my negative notts mindset but i still need convincing that we are the real deal this year.
    I'm not too concerned yet with Southend, only beaten 1 team in the top half of the league so far (York). Of their current 8 game unbeaten run they drew with wrexham and woking at home and beat York City Away. The rest were teams below 10th.

It's going to be a long season but with Wrexham playing in the FA Cup this weekend and a game the following mid week it'll really test their squad depth that they claim to have superiority over us with.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Me too. If we're in a race to be champions, winning it is much better than finishing second or third. Finishing second or third is a distinct advantage in our playoff format, but we've already been there once and blew it. Winning the playoffs is arguably the best way to go up, because you get not only promoted but also enjoy a memorable day out at Wembley.

The playoff 'lottery' thing is true however, remember the 3 goal advantage incompetent officials gave Coventry?
    I remember only too well absolute disgrace, and why VAR must be in play off matches
    It led to Alan Hardy pressing the self destruct button in an attempt to try get back what we had been robbed of, how things could of been different
    Still if we can get back in the football league, i only see us eventually rising higher, the current owners seem to have a much more stable long term outlook , and most likely a lot more money than Hardy
    Last edited by SwalePie; 02-11-2022 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Fixed typos for clarity

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast