+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Race to be Champions

Race to be Champions

Who thinks we are becoming obsessed with staying ahead of Wexham. We are already in a great position to make the top three, and therefore have the shorter play off campaign with a home semi, and a neutral final. A far easier route to promotion than the last two years.
    It would be nice to stay ahead of Wrexham all season and be crowned champions, but the prize is the same going up through the play offs, something I would be very confident in achieving with this LW team, given a second or third place finish.
    Just trying to find a way to unclench my bum cheeks

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    Who thinks we are becoming obsessed with staying ahead of Wexham. We are already in a great position to make the top three, and therefore have the shorter play off campaign with a home semi, and a neutral final. A far easier route to promotion than the last two years.
    It would be nice to stay ahead of Wrexham all season and be crowned champions, but the prize is the same going up through the play offs, something I would be very confident in achieving with this LW team, given a second or third place finish.
    Just trying to find a way to unclench my bum cheeks
    Too much of a lottery ( dodgy ref decisions for example).

I think it’s still going to be incredibly difficult to stay in our current position given Wrexham’s buying power and the likelihood that they will bolster their squad in January. One or two injuries and given the recent displays of our second string players… and we’re in trouble.

Having said that, I cannot see any other team in this league troubling us in the playoffs… I sense promotion but probably not champions.

Quote Originally Posted by GranthamPie View Post
    I think it’s still going to be incredibly difficult to stay in our current position given Wrexham’s buying power and the likelihood that they will bolster their squad in January. One or two injuries and given the recent displays of our second string players… and we’re in trouble.

Having said that, I cannot see any other team in this league troubling us in the playoffs… I sense promotion but probably not champions.
    Will we not bolster our squad in January? I get that Wrexham might throw more money at promotion, but that doesn’t always mean better players. Look at our summer transfer dealings compared to there’s.
    I’m not overly concerned about a couple of injuries as I don’t read too much into the Coalville defeat. It was a bad day at the office by a side that might train together but had seldom played a competitive game… regardless of the opponents league standings.
    I agree wholeheartedly with your last paragraph though

Given that we’ve lost in the playoffs in four of the past five seasons, I’m really hoping the club are only interested in automatic promotion at this moment in time.

Many ups n downs yet to come for all concerned clubs

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Given that we’ve lost in the playoffs in four of the past five seasons, I’m really hoping the club are only interested in automatic promotion at this moment in time.

Agreed. P/O's are somewhat of a lottery, we all know that. All we can do is win as many matches as poss and see where it takes us.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Me too. If we're in a race to be champions, winning it is much better than finishing second or third. Finishing second or third is a distinct advantage in our playoff format, but we've already been there once and blew it. Winning the playoffs is arguably the best way to go up, because you get not only promoted but also enjoy a memorable day out at Wembley.

The playoff 'lottery' thing is true however, remember the 3 goal advantage incompetent officials gave Coventry?

I think we should be obsessed with staying above Wrexham. Finish above them, we’re promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    I think we should be obsessed with staying above Wrexham. Finish above them, we’re promoted.
    Indeed. Why would we be surrendering to a team who is 3 points behind us.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast