+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Qatar World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    Yes you are right of course. I'd have done it post qualifying leaving them with a bit gap to fill. But i dont think its ever to late the question the holding of this tournament, from its clearly corrupt voting to the time of year to the record the country has on human rights.

I think for pitch side pundits etc its ok, but those in the studio who never leave the studio other than to play rounds of golf on the tax payer etc then being in the Uk is enough. Didnt this happen a few years ago? they only went out for the quarters on or something like that.
    Used to happen all the time, in many sports. In late 70s/early 80s F1 many commentaries were done from the UK and the commentators got their background info from feeds from other countries!

I get why they go, i creates a bit of atmosphere i suppose. For me at a time the BBC are stripping back local services though, any money they can save would help

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Interesting comment on t'wireless a bit ago about the hypocricy of footballers happy to take the knee but also happy to implicitly support Qatar. Maybe the migrants put to death to build the stadiums weren't black enough?
    That is an interesting point, this would be an ideal opportunity for those high profile players (Rashford perhaps?) to withdraw from playing in the World Cup on the basis that it would be a small sacrifice for their career, but make a big statement.

However these things are all nuanced, in reality the English FA should have withdrawn from the World Cup decades ago, it was known to be run corruptly and basically a cash cow for Blatter and his cronies and hangers on.

There is an argument that says interaction with countries like QATAR will see changes in attitude and approach to human rights etc. The truth is in an inter connected world we will all benefit, interact with regimes that are run in a manner that is not exactly what we would choose and that isolating countries rarely works.

What the Uk can do of course is as it usually has but lately seems destined to abandon, lead the world is observing human rights, so Tricky your acidic comment about football players might hold true, if you personally hadn't in your posts espoused not observing the human rights of the numerous nationalities who have migrated to the UK and who you have demonised in an appalling generalised manner.

Pluck the log out of your own eye before pointing out the splinter in someone elses!

Sepp Blatter bizarrely says Qatar should never have been awarded the world Cup.

Don't take bribes then you corrupt ****er

Has he lost his present, to procedes of crime?

Spot on

No surprise on the eve of the world cup that rules are being changed. No beer in stadiums now unless in corporate. Whats the betting that in the coming days and weeks we hear of stories of aggression to gay people, or women being locked up for being ***ually assaulted and so on?

Now Fifa president Gianni Infantino suggests its everyone else who has an issue and not Qatar, tells the world he understands discrimination cause he had red hair as a kid.

6,500 migrant workers have died since they won the world cup bid but thats ok because not all of them were directly connected with the world cup.

No surprise on the eve of the world cup that rules are being changed. No beer in stadiums now unless in corporate. Whats the betting that in the coming days and weeks we hear of stories of aggression to gay people, or women being locked up for being ***ually assaulted and so on?

Now Fifa president Gianni Infantino suggests its everyone else who has an issue and not Qatar, tells the world he understands discrimination cause he had red hair as a kid.

6,500 migrant workers have died since they won the world cup bid but thats ok because not all of them were directly connected with the world cup.
    Evidently only 3, Sith!!

But it is what it is. Turning to the football I'm thinking Argentina 2-0 over France for the final, Brazil 3rd place winner.

NB I wouldn't have a problem with no beer in the stadium - at the prices I hear quoted I wouldn't be buying it anyway.

And the world cup kicks off with Shearer speaking expertly on BBC: "the further you go in this tournament the harder the games get". No ****, Sherlock. I guess that insight alone makes his 450k per annum stipend from the BBC so well worth it.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)