+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Qatar World Cup

O/T Qatar World Cup

The 2022 world cup is almost upon us, blanket media coverage guaranteed, England victory unlikely IMO but who knows?

Anyone got a view on the 'appropriateness' of holding a worldwide event (of any sort but especially the 'world' game) in a country with IMO shocking disgregard for human life (migrant workers, and not just the stadiums) and human nature (LBGT especially but from what I've read its really anyone who doesn't fit their'model')?

More pointedly, anyone with a view doing anything about it? after the reading I've done (not TV stuff, it can't IMO be trusted) I'm pretty switched off to the whole thing but I can't say I'm going to 'boycott' it (ie not watch it) because it will be 'on' in my house and in pubs/bars etc anyway?

Anyone?

I don't feel excited like I usually am. Combination of location and time of year.

Personally think our FA along with other countries should have qualified then boycotted and done their own thing.

Its those that have the biggest opportunity to make a stand. I'm sure I'll watch and probably gain some excitement if we do well but if the Fa said tomorrow we weren't going I'd actually be supportive.

Wasn't there a world cup in Russia not so long ago? And in the land that originated BLM, the good old US of A. Brazil hasn't got a great record either. You can probably picks holes in most hosts, but Qatar has no doubt thrown enough cash at the problem to help it go away

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Wasn't there a world cup in Russia not so long ago? And in the land that originated BLM, the good old US of A. Brazil hasn't got a great record either. You can probably picks holes in most hosts, but Qatar has no doubt thrown enough cash at the problem to help it go away
    Yes you’re correct. Not a simple subject is it

Let's face It money talks, if saddam Hussain had lined blatter and platinis pockets a couple
    of decades ago the world Cup would have been in Iraq.

Also why do the BBC (and therefore us) have to pay to send Lineker etc al to Qatar. Surely their studio based punditry could be done from a studio in the UK.

It’s at least twelve years since Qatar won/bought their World Cup bid, Sith. I think if there were going to be questions raised about the ‘appropriateness’ of holding the competition in a country with such a poor human rights record (as I agree there should have been) it should have been done then. Raising questions on the eve of the competition seems a bit daft to me.

Agree with you about the time of year...doesn’t feel quite right to me...but I can see the point of commentators/summarisers actually being there rather than just watching on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Interesting comment on t'wireless a bit ago about the hypocricy of footballers happy to take the knee but also happy to implicitly support Qatar. Maybe the migrants put to death to build the stadiums weren't black enough?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    It’s at least twelve years since Qatar won/bought their World Cup bid, Sith. I think if there were going to be questions raised about the ‘appropriateness’ of holding the competition in a country with such a poor human rights record (as I agree there should have been) it should have been done then. Raising questions on the eve of the competition seems a bit daft to me.

Agree with you about the time of year...doesn’t feel quite right to me...but I can see the point of commentators/summarisers actually being there rather than just watching on TV.
    Yes you are right of course. I'd have done it post qualifying leaving them with a bit gap to fill. But i dont think its ever to late the question the holding of this tournament, from its clearly corrupt voting to the time of year to the record the country has on human rights.

I think for pitch side pundits etc its ok, but those in the studio who never leave the studio other than to play rounds of golf on the tax payer etc then being in the Uk is enough. Didnt this happen a few years ago? they only went out for the quarters on or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Interesting comment on t'wireless a bit ago about the hypocricy of footballers happy to take the knee but also happy to implicitly support Qatar. Maybe the migrants put to death to build the stadiums weren't black enough?
    The migrant workers dying in Qatar, aren't part of the social media point scoring and virtue signalling.
    Your profile will never get clicks, moaning about that.

Plus there is money to be made- FROM BOTH CAUSES, (KOFF)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)