+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT. Closed thread.

OT. Closed thread.

Can I please ask for an explanation of why the ‘Henry II’ thread has been abruptly closed this morning?

Reason? Duplication of subject matter/thread hijacking. The thread had become predominently Brexit with a bit of BBC bashing and we already have a thread for that, hence yesterday I posted

'We seem to have strayed into Brexit on this thread when we already have a Brexit thread so I intend to close this one later'

Coincidentally you seemed to share the same sentiment a few days ago when you posted

'Johnson of course was the architect of his own downfall to a large extent and no one expected Sunak to have to defeat the former incumbent himself in this most recent ‘election’ but he has, thank God, which hopefully brings this thread to a close.'
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 04-11-2022 at 03:57 PM.

Hmmm...quite clever that. As the thread originator I concede that I hoped it had run it’s course and that our third PM in as many months might stand a chance of moving the country forward.

Things however rapidly moved on a pace and the thread was ‘resurrected’ as a result of incidents such as the immediate Braverman reappointment.

That in turn gave rise to the Brexit element, not least because Tricky seems to regard the current Home Secretary as the embodiment of hope as regards his own interpretation of Brexit.

None of that however is the point. There are lots of threads which duplicate each other, indeed there is lots of repetitive nonsense written on here, however I have never, in the six or so years I have been on this forum, known any moderator close and lock any thread for the reasons you have given.

Despite the fact that you were opposed to it from the off, the thread had attracted on the way to 700 posts. In the last 24 hours five or six members have contributed to it and, apart from Swale referring to Tricky by his all too obvious ‘nickname’, all the posts have been perfectly polite.

Seems to me that you are getting above yourself with this action, Andy. You’re a moderator, nothing more nothing less. It’s your ‘job’/role to ensure that the rules of the forum are followed and there is nothing in this thread which breaks the rules of the forum.

I appreciate that political threads are not to everyone’s liking but they do attract a great deal of comment, and is not the same also true of threads such as those relating to both cricket and motor racing? Personally I find the former fascinating and the latter totally tedious, but I wouldn’t dream of criticising those who wish to contribute to that particular thread. Each to their own.

It really isn’t, imo, up to you to decide which threads should stay and which should go. That isn’t your role, unless the thread is attracting such levels of antagonism that the ‘rules of engagement’ are broken. They haven’t been and it’s up to individual posters whether they wish to contribute further to this particular thread or not so please, have a think about the precedent you are setting and unlock the thread immediately. Thanks.

Kin knew it would be my fault.

Always the scapegoat, never the bride

FYI sunshine, Swale can never reply to any thread without insulting someone in some shape or another.
    All you picked out was my obvious nickname?
    Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Kin knew it would be my fault.

Always the scapegoat, never the bride

FYI sunshine, Swale can never reply to any thread without insulting someone in some shape or another.
    All you picked out was my obvious nickname?
    Wow.
    Lol...not your fault in any shape or form, Tricky. I was referring to the last few hours. I know he’s called you worse but you’re no shrinking violet yourself and you know as well as I do that saying he ‘can never reply to any thread without insulting someone’ is a nonsensical exaggeration.
    Anyway, not blaming you and nowt to do with your nemesis. Just think the thread needs reopening so people are allowed to contribute or otherwise.

If it was me, which it's not so it's irrelevant, I'd just have one politics thread for everything and then put it in the rules that it's barred from any other thread. Topics like brexit are naturally going to be political in nature. So as, has been seen, there ends up an overlap with multiple threads, so just keep it in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    If it was me, which it's not so it's irrelevant, I'd just have one politics thread for everything and then put it in the rules that it's barred from any other thread. Topics like brexit are naturally going to be political in nature. So as, has been seen, there ends up an overlap with multiple threads, so just keep it in one place.
    You'd never find anything.

The Donnington ram lounge was the old place for non football.
    Its a lot of topics.

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    Your view isn’t ‘irrelevant’, Sith...but I disagree with you on this one.
    We’ve had many political threads started on here, mainly since 2016.
    They’ve covered a number of diverse areas...Brexit (obviously), Covid, Nationalisation, ‘Wokeness’, BLM, se*ism, Johnson (and his successor/s) and the one started earlier today about Qatar and human rights amongst them.
    Sure...some of them overlap but there will be others that stand alone and cannot all be incorporated into one thread.

I quite like the political aspect but, I think, I’ve only actually started one such thread and ultimately, imo, all threads should ‘live and die’ by the amount of interest/response they generate. Judging by the response to the Brexit, Covid and ‘Henry II’ that’s quite significant.

Well I'm glad it's closed, but being provocative too. Well doneAndy (rat-a-tat-tat)

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Well I'm glad it's closed, but being provocative too. Well doneAndy (rat-a-tat-tat)
    Really? Who’da thought?
    What I might have thought was that our moderator/censor/dictator might have displayed the courtesy to respond to the points raised, but...apparently not. Still, more than one way to ‘skin a cat’.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)