+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T. Sunak...third time lucky, or Mission Impossible?

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    A few swings in the back garden with airballs is about it RS! My son keeps trying to get me to do 9 holes with him using a power buggy but b****y arthritis in my hands and back make it unlikely. At this moment in time my left hand is giving me some right gip, there's no way I could swing a club in anger!
    Enjoy your game.
    That's a real shame. I played with a chap few weeks ago, he had extra thick putter grips on his clubs, said it helped him, might be worth a try, for the hands at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Yup - arthritic and deteriorating. Probably need to visit sawbones in next 12 months, can only go a few hundred yards before pain cuts in... thanks for caring ��
    That’s okay. I’m sure most of the over sixties on here have a few ailments to moan about, we just don’t mention them at every opportunity.
    Anyway, at least you can get something done about it, and if it’s any consolation...my late father had a hip replacement back in the seventies.
    Made a new man of him and I imagine things have progressed hugely since then so your prognosis seems, hopefully, pretty good.
    Hopefully too the waiting lists will diminish soon...then again maybe not... but I’d guess you could go ‘private’.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 05-11-2022 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    That's a real shame. I played with a chap few weeks ago, he had extra thick putter grips on his clubs, said it helped him, might be worth a try, for the hands at least.
    Funnily enough I've got some extra thick grips which I bought for that reason. I always re-gripped my own clubs back in my playing days but I haven't got round to fitting these yet. I'll let you know how I get on when I've done them.

On the matter of mission impossible, great to see Holland oust South Africa from the cricket world cup. Well done the Cloggies - drinks all round on MA?

I just regripped my bat, and used some GripGrip, which should prevent slippage. The England win reminded me it was a job to do, so why not do it now before winter nets. Probably have a beer later and read a book, whilst Mrs Shank watches Strictly.
    Tomorrow hitting the golf course, weather doesn't look great but I don't mind too much, just need to be back in time for the football. Hoping for a comfortable win, but on the telly, you never know.
    Ideally, all this will relax me before returning to a stressful week at work starting Monday morning, there won't be much respite as my off hours will be spent dealing with family dramas.
    I don't have much interest, as political soap operas certainly wont define my life, as regardless of who lives at number 10, I'll be getting on with my own priorities (as per above). I find, "For those with any interest in the politics which will define all our lives" very patronising, with the latter part of the sentence being factually incorrect. It's my own fault for clicking on the thread that I've seen it, my error (or "my bad", as the kids say). However, I'll answer the questions:
    He'll do fine, he just needs to manage the self serving media.
    With advice and actions from government and civil service professionals.
    I'm not qualified to provide a national fiscal policy forecast.
    Some won't notice, some will notice a lot, most will be impacted a tiny bit but will hardly notice.
    Of course what the Tory government decide to do will have an impact, I expect people whose mortgages have shot up, whose food and heating bills are twice what were a year ago and who are paying over the odds for fuel notice it quite a lot. Many of us are fortunate in that we don't feel that affect quite as much but the fact that we ahve multiple groups voting for strikes shows that many are adversely impacted.

its all rather concerning, first that the Bank of England seems t think raising interest rates (though good for me I have to say) is the right thing to do to control inflation which has nothing to do with excess demand and won't be affected by the rate rise and a government that is signalling more cuts in services that are already struggling, when its been proven time and time again that its austerity that has led to the situation we are in, exacerbated by external issues certainly but fundamentally this country has been wrecked by a combination of poor economic management and Brexit - the elephant in the room which people still fail to acknowledge.

Its not worth worrying about matters one can't affect but its worth realising what the impact is and I do hope that the majority of voters do take notice when there eventually is an election.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    So, in the far off days of summer Sunak lost the initial battle but now appears to have won the ‘war’.
    The prize? Picking up the possibly poisoned chalice of running our beleaguered nation.

For those with any interest in the politics which will define all our lives in the forthcoming months and years, what chance does he have?
    Maybe not the brightest of starts with the re-appointment of a Home Secretary widely perceived as a security risk and the ‘U’ turn over COP27.

Moving forward though. How will he manage the expectations and fears associated with Brexit, Putin and the deepening divisiveness amongst our allies across the ‘Pond’...and what of our own ‘eye watering’ other economic issues?

Who to tax and how to tax? Is there anything left to cut? Is the ‘triple lock’ promise likely to survive? How will we support those in increasingly real and desperate need thanks, amongst other things, to Putin, short sighted fuel policies and the profiteering of oil companies?
    What can we expect from the upcoming Autumn Statement or is it all now Mission Impossible?

Thoughts on how this will impact upon us all?
    rA I think and very much hope he and the Tory party are ****ed!! The impact could be considerable on a large number of voters, time for a change me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    rA I think and very much hope he and the Tory party are ****ed!! The impact could be considerable on a large number of voters, time for a change me thinks.
    Me too...and thanks for the relevant and reasoned response.
    As you know we seem to share a similar outlook in terms of politics. Personally I have never voted Tory and cannot see any circumstances when I would. That doesn’t mean I hate them all (indeed I was in a meeting with our local councillor a couple of weeks ago and she appeared very reasonable) however I do hate what they, as a Party, have become over the last few years.

The thread is a ‘resurrection’ for obvious reasons which I won’t go into, however I struggle to understand those who find politics irrelevant. It may be boring, but to believe November 17th is only going to have a minimal impact on the lives of many seems incredibly naive to me.
    It isn’t and although, like you, I might personally benefit from the rise in interest rates that really isn’t the point.

It may be boring, but to believe November 17th is only going to have a minimal impact on the lives of many seems incredibly naive to me.
    Again, patronising. An alternative opinion to your outlook on life is not naive.

Again, patronising. An alternative opinion to your outlook on life is not naive.
    I’m not suggesting it’s naive because it’s an ‘alternative outlook’ to mine, RS...I’m suggesting it’s ‘naive’ because, at a time when so many (maybe not you, I wouldn’t know) are already struggling financially, the prospect of simultaneous increases in tax, mortgage costs, heating bills and cuts in services are, inevitably, going to have an enormous impact on a great many people.

If that isn’t true I’d be interested to know why.

So, in the far off days of summer Sunak lost the initial battle but now appears to have won the ‘war’.
    The prize? Picking up the possibly poisoned chalice of running our beleaguered nation.

For those with any interest in the politics which will define all our lives agreeing with Ramshank, it doesn't define my lifein the forthcoming months and years, what chance does he have?to turn things around? it'll be a difficult job. To remain in power? Even more difficult, the number of non-politics related ****ups from this administration is reminiscent of the leadup to 1997, and look what happened then
    Maybe not the brightest of starts with the re-appointment of a Home Secretary widely perceived as a security risk and the ‘U’ turn over COP27.He never stood a chance with COP 27 - hung for going or keelhauled for not. IMO Suella Braverman might just be the person who saves the conservatives' bacon for reasons you won't like but which do exist

Moving forward though. How will he manage the expectations and fears associated with Brexit, Putin and the deepening divisiveness amongst our allies across the ‘Pond’which pond?...and what of our own ‘eye watering’ other economic issues?

Who to tax and how to tax? reward the working 'poor', I see so many examples of people in work having 'poorer' lives than those (who choose to be) out of work. Is there anything left to cut? you know where I've been the last few days, that place and its equivalent in Derby are so 'broke' in their different ways it SHOULD be easy to process-improve them to provide a better service for less cost. But its a long complex jobIs the ‘triple lock’ promise likely to survive? it needs to for the administrations survivalHow will we support those in increasingly real and desperate need thanks, amongst other things, to Putin, short sighted fuel policieswhich and the profiteering? of oil companies?
    What can we expect from the upcoming Autumn Statement or is it all now Mission Impossible?much more confident in the new PM/COTE combo than before. As an aside, strange how those who lauded a cabinet with 'no white males' in it have gone quiet when two of those proved useless, one lost the confidence of the new PM and one is public enemy number 1. I recall you expressed a dislike for 'quotas' of which that was an example so Iguess you agree it was a silly thing to laud. NB before the attack dog starts, I think RS is ten times the politician LT was/could have been

Thoughts on how this will impact upon us all?'Us All'? no idea, I agree with Ramshank that there is a broad spectrum, many of which won't even notice. Its also difficult to get in the 'headspace' (sorry, horrible phrase butit seems to fit) of those who genunely have nothing because I don't know anyone in that position - I know a number who 'live off the state' and they all seem pretty well sorted to me, and that's not me denying such poor souls exist but how come they aren't playing the game like the people I know?
    See in bold above

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)