+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T. Sunak...third time lucky, or Mission Impossible?

O/T. Sunak...third time lucky, or Mission Impossible?

So, in the far off days of summer Sunak lost the initial battle but now appears to have won the ‘war’.
    The prize? Picking up the possibly poisoned chalice of running our beleaguered nation.

For those with any interest in the politics which will define all our lives in the forthcoming months and years, what chance does he have?
    Maybe not the brightest of starts with the re-appointment of a Home Secretary widely perceived as a security risk and the ‘U’ turn over COP27.

Moving forward though. How will he manage the expectations and fears associated with Brexit, Putin and the deepening divisiveness amongst our allies across the ‘Pond’...and what of our own ‘eye watering’ other economic issues?

Who to tax and how to tax? Is there anything left to cut? Is the ‘triple lock’ promise likely to survive? How will we support those in increasingly real and desperate need thanks, amongst other things, to Putin, short sighted fuel policies and the profiteering of oil companies?
    What can we expect from the upcoming Autumn Statement or is it all now Mission Impossible?

Thoughts on how this will impact upon us all?

Close it down, close it down.....

I just regripped my bat, and used some GripGrip, which should prevent slippage. The England win reminded me it was a job to do, so why not do it now before winter nets. Probably have a beer later and read a book, whilst Mrs Shank watches Strictly.
    Tomorrow hitting the golf course, weather doesn't look great but I don't mind too much, just need to be back in time for the football. Hoping for a comfortable win, but on the telly, you never know.
    Ideally, all this will relax me before returning to a stressful week at work starting Monday morning, there won't be much respite as my off hours will be spent dealing with family dramas.
    I don't have much interest, as political soap operas certainly wont define my life, as regardless of who lives at number 10, I'll be getting on with my own priorities (as per above). I find, "For those with any interest in the politics which will define all our lives" very patronising, with the latter part of the sentence being factually incorrect. It's my own fault for clicking on the thread that I've seen it, my error (or "my bad", as the kids say). However, I'll answer the questions:
    He'll do fine, he just needs to manage the self serving media.
    With advice and actions from government and civil service professionals.
    I'm not qualified to provide a national fiscal policy forecast.
    Some won't notice, some will notice a lot, most will be impacted a tiny bit but will hardly notice.

'I just regripped my bat', that takes me back RS. As for you playing golf tomoz, are you deliberately trying to upset me!! 😢

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    'I just regripped my bat', that takes me back RS. As for you playing golf tomoz, are you deliberately trying to upset me!! ��
    Don't worry, I usually end up in tears anyway! Are you able to get back out there in any form these days - shorter tees, thicker grips, buggies?

Yep, love to be playing golf tomorrow but my hip wouldn't let me get through 9 holes of crazy golf let alone 18 of the real thing. I always find the windmill hole most awkward especially if I have to get my leg over to play the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    I don't have much interest, as political soap operas certainly wont define my life, as regardless of who lives at number 10, I'll be getting on with my own priorities (as per above). I find, "For those with any interest in the politics which will define all our lives" very patronising, with the latter part of the sentence being factually incorrect. It's my own fault for clicking on the thread that I've seen it, my error (or "my bad", as the kids say). However, I'll answer the questions:
    He'll do fine, he just needs to manage the self serving media.
    With advice and actions from government and civil service professionals.
    I'm not qualified to provide a national fiscal policy forecast.
    Some won't notice, some will notice a lot, most will be impacted a tiny bit but will hardly notice.
    Apologies RS...certainly wasn’t meant to be ‘patronising’ and I’m not sure how you’d think that. It certainly wasn’t my intention.
    Neither am I sure how you can say ‘most will be impacted a tiny bit’.
    Would have thought that the impact of last month’s ‘mini budget’ would have disproved that myth...look, for example, at the effect that has, or will have, on mortgages.
    I’m glad you think he’ll ‘do fine’ and hope you’re right, but for those reliant on services that are likely to be cut still further, for those already struggling with the cost of living crisis, for (perhaps younger) folk with mortgages, for those on benefits, and for those on hospital waiting lists I’d suggest you may be being a tad over optimistic.

P.S. You got a bad hip, GP? Don’t think you’ve mentioned it before.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 05-11-2022 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Yep, love to be playing golf tomorrow but my hip wouldn't let me get through 9 holes of crazy golf let alone 18 of the real thing. I always find the windmill hole most awkward especially if I have to get my leg over to play the shot.
    If I had to get my leg over to play each shot, I'd never get passed the 1st hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    Don't worry, I usually end up in tears anyway! Are you able to get back out there in any form these days - shorter tees, thicker grips, buggies?
    A few swings in the back garden with airballs is about it RS! My son keeps trying to get me to do 9 holes with him using a power buggy but b****y arthritis in my hands and back make it unlikely. At this moment in time my left hand is giving me some right gip, there's no way I could swing a club in anger!
    Enjoy your game.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Apologies RS...certainly wasn’t meant to be ‘patronising’ and I’m not sure how you’d think that. It certainly wasn’t my intention.
    Neither am I sure how you can say ‘most will be impacted a tiny bit’.
    Would have thought that the impact of last month’s ‘mini budget’ would have disproved that myth...look, for example, at the effect that has, or will have, on mortgages.
    I’m glad you think he’ll ‘do fine’ and hope you’re right, but for those reliant on services that are likely to be cut still further, for those already struggling with the cost of living crisis, for (perhaps younger) folk with mortgages, for those on benefits, and for those on hospital waiting lists I’d suggest you may be being a tad over optimistic.

P.S. You got a bad hip, GP? Don’t think you’ve mentioned it before.
    Yup - arthritic and deteriorating. Probably need to visit sawbones in next 12 months, can only go a few hundred yards before pain cuts in... thanks for caring 😄

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)