+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MillersMAD World Cup Prediction Competition

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    No, they still have one game left to try to reprieve themselves. However, per GF's prediction they cannot be the best team in the group stages
    Very ambiguous formula , how do you decide who is the worst team and equally who is the best team ?

Quote Originally Posted by MILLERSTALE View Post
    Very ambiguous formula , how do you decide who is the worst team and equally who is the best team ?
    I thought it was pretty clear, based on points, then goal difference and then goals scored (for the best) or conceded (for the worst). So currently France followed by Portugal then Brazil are in the running for the best team and Canada and Qatar are neck and neck for the worst. Still one game to play though so nothing will be decided until Friday (except obviously there are many teams that even at this stage can't be the best (have 2pts or less) and many teams that can't be the worst (have 4pts or better)).

So we are half way through the games and 81 goals have been scored and it seems around 160 will be the magic number if the tie breaker is called into action.

3 teams have already booked their place in the next stage and most MMadsters had all 3 in their last 16 so are assured at least 3pts (3 posters didn't have Portugal progressing and 1 didn't have France). However, it looks like the fact that it's highly unlikely that Belgium and Croatia will both reach the last 16 so most 'flushes are busted'. In fact if Belgium don't beat Croatia then a few will have lost their pick to win it all.
    Last edited by CAMiller; 28-11-2022 at 09:21 PM.

I thought it was pretty clear, based on points, then goal difference and then goals scored (for the best) or conceded (for the worst). So currently France followed by Portugal then Brazil are in the running for the best team and Canada and Qatar are neck and neck for the worst. Still one game to play though so nothing will be decided until Friday (except obviously there are many teams that even at this stage can't be the best (have 2pts or less) and many teams that can't be the worst (have 4pts or better)).

So we are half way through the games and 81 goals have been scored and it seems around 160 will be the magic number if the tie breaker is called into action.

3 teams have already booked their place in the next stage and most MMadsters had all 3 in their last 16 so are assured at least 3pts (3 posters didn't have Portugal progressing and 1 didn't have France). However, it looks like the fact that it's highly unlikely that Belgium and Croatia will both reach the last 16 so most 'flushes are busted'. In fact if Belgium don't beat Croatia then a few will have lost their pick to win it all.
    Keep the good work up, us retirement lads don’t have have as much time to read all the small print .!

Quote Originally Posted by MILLERSTALE View Post
    Keep the good work up, us retirement lads don’t have have as much time to read all the small print .!
    I know you don't. Otherwise I wouldn't still be waiting for your entrance fee to drop into my bank account

Around half the field are 4 for 4 so far with their last 16 (one of them wears a cardie and another is a curmudgeonly old git) but there are a few laggards who have already lost 2 teams. Not sure what they expected when they picked Qatar and Wales

Around half the field are 4 for 4 so far with their last 16 (one of them wears a cardie and another is a curmudgeonly old git) but there are a few laggards who have already lost 2 teams. Not sure what they expected when they picked Qatar and Wales
    Yes cardie boy has set off well with the first two leagues settled. Just need Costa Rica to score a goal or two and not conceding many and I’ll also have worst performing team with Qatar on -6 goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Yes cardie boy has set off well with the first two leagues settled. Just need Costa Rica to score a goal or two and not conceding many and I’ll also have worst performing team with Qatar on -6 goals.
    I think you mean Canada Brin. They are the only team who can trump Qatar as worst team.

So it's official, thanks to Denmark's demise nobody will have a perfect last 16. GF actually has Australia but his 'pick the underdogs' philosophy has already let him down with his Qatar and Wales picks.

With 8 of the last 16 decided we have a range of between 3 and 7 correct for all our MM players. Still left to be determined, will England finish the group games with the best record or will Spain get the draw (v Japan) or Portugal (v S. Korea) or Brazil (v Cameroon) the win they need to claim the spoils. Of those only Portugal wasn't a pick of MMadsters so I guess those who's pick have already failed will be rooting for them especially as France blew it (Grrr.....). At the other end of the scale, only Canada can rob Qatar of the title of worst team by losing to Morocco by 3 or more goals. A gaggle of MMadsters have a vested interest in this going either way so someone will definitely be picking up 10pts.

Will both Germany and Belgium fall by the wayside on Thursday and put a dent in many Madsters hopes? It couldn't happen could it?
    Last edited by CAMiller; 01-12-2022 at 04:38 AM.

Early games today settled a couple of things, Qatar are officially the worst team in the group stages and well done to the 5 posters who picked them. Belgium won't be lifting the trophy and commiserations to those who had them going all the way to the final or even winning it.

I had Mexico and Belgium in the final. Ooops

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast