+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Does Anyone On Here Collect Anything?

Does Anyone On Here Collect Anything?

In this day and age nobody wants to own anything it would seem - music is streamed, games downloaded, films streamed etc.

Now this might make sense in a 500k shoebox London flat where you have barely space for food but as a whole as the houses are old up here you get enough space to be able to at least hold a small collection of some sort.

I collect old video games and still cannot get my head around these daft gets who fork over forty quid plus for a downloadable game with no sell on value, same with music I have thousands of CD/Vinyl/tapes/8 track/VHS - basically I am a geet fu cking hoarder. I would rather have this tag however than be a daft c unt who hands over money for magic beans where you don't actually own anything.

Netflix is a bit different as like SKY it just increases your viewing options - if you really like something then you could get it on DVD anyhow.

Now Madonna might not like her old CD being bought and sold over and over again on Ebay and would love us all to stream it direct from her record company for a fee but sod her, there is nothing physical changing hands.

I got the loft reinforced when we moved in, boarded and carpeted so the room is creaking, I bring down just enough and replace it with other items when I have watched them or played on them as it is nice to have possessions but to live fairly sparsely, that currently is not the case but it is getting there.

Anyone else on here a collector or are you happy paying hard cash for thin air?

I love that question. About a year ago I bought a Rega Planar 1 turntable then started trying to recreate the record collection that I had back in the day. A few are new, most are off EBay and I’m now up to around 60 vinyl albums and I’m still looking. I kept my CDs but got rid of the cases then a few weeks ago decided what the hell, I should be listening to these and bought a new Cambridge CD player. I’ll probably add a streamer to the system - for guests. I have a kindle but mainly buy books. I stream films though and gave my DVDs to a charity. Well, not all of them, I kept a few that I was too fond of (mainly BluRays) and, for the same reason, I still have a handful of VHSs. Shame I’v nothing to play them on.

I reckon it’s ok to have digital heart but better to have an analogue soul.

Oh, and FM rules.

I have a sega with a lot of games, a souvenir from my lads childhood. Is it worth anything?

Nice one with the vinyl, I went down that route a few years back too - nothing like catching sight of the artwork of your favourite vinyl laying around.

The loft was initially a novelty video store, hundreds of them about three deep to swap around, was a buzz just being in there to be honest with all these iconic film cases staring at you, some I still haven't seen there were that many - my mates loved it, I think its because of the memory of the old video stores and the excitement of spotting something that you haven't seen in an age.

I remember being distracted from the Charles Bronson films as my eyes lit up as I spotted Confessions Of A Driving Instructor, the one where Lynda Bellingham gets them out whilst frollicking with Robin Askwith (I just pretend that he isn't there)

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post
    I have a sega with a lot of games, a souvenir from my lads childhood. Is it worth anything?
    That's what I collect pal - what have you got and I'll let you know.

They normally go for 15p each but if you have got something I need I'll happily pay you a handsome 25p

I do actually collect Sega, especially The Master System, MegaDrive and Saturn - not so much the Dreamcast.

Like anything, price varies on games but if you have lots of cartridge games then its a cert you will have some gems in there.

Football programmes, LPs and CDs.

Hundreds of them all but totally redundant in this household.

Probably stopped buying any of them about 20 years ago.

I don't have a turntable, nothing to play the CDs on and the football programmes are in a box in the cellar.

Nowadays listen to music (without paying) via my own downloaded CDs (now on laptop), Spotify or You Tube.

On the basis I haven't bought any of the above for 20 years, but wouldn't want to part with any of them, I probably qualify as a retired collector but very much a hoarder.

Good to see you back on form and posting like a good 'un this week Munchy!

Like others in my younger years I used to collect vinyl. Having a part time job at Virgin records in Manchester helped and at one point had over a 1,000 Rock / Metal albums and many signed by bands / artists. I had a lot of picture discs, coloured vinyl, white label demos & Jap Imports.

Through my later ****s I sold the majority of them in record fairs / shops to raise funds for holidays etc and there is a box left up in the loft with about 200 at a guess as not opened it in over 15 years.

Now the closest thing I have is my Adidas Samba OCD… I wear the Blue Suede ones or Black Leather and I always have a new pair of both under the box room bed & will not put a new pair on until I have another one. I also have about 3-4 pairs of special edition White leather ones with different colour stripes… I can’t bring myself to wear any of them… it’s strange

Quote Originally Posted by howoldboy View Post
    Football programmes, LPs and CDs.

Hundreds of them all but totally redundant in this household.

Probably stopped buying any of them about 20 years ago.

I don't have a turntable, nothing to play the CDs on and the football programmes are in a box in the cellar.

Nowadays listen to music (without paying) via my own downloaded CDs (now on laptop), Spotify or You Tube.

On the basis I haven't bought any of the above for 20 years, but wouldn't want to part with any of them, I probably qualify as a retired collector but very much a hoarder.

Good to see you back on form and posting like a good 'un this week Munchy!
    Cheers pal, it is nice to be back in the frame of mind again.

Nice to be in the company of a fellow hoarder as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdogblue View Post
    Like others in my younger years I used to collect vinyl. Having a part time job at Virgin records in Manchester helped and at one point had over a 1,000 Rock / Metal albums and many signed by bands / artists. I had a lot of picture discs, coloured vinyl, white label demos & Jap Imports.

Through my later ****s I sold the majority of them in record fairs / shops to raise funds for holidays etc and there is a box left up in the loft with about 200 at a guess as not opened it in over 15 years.

Now the closest thing I have is my Adidas Samba OCD… I wear the Blue Suede ones or Black Leather and I always have a new pair of both under the box room bed & will not put a new pair on until I have another one. I also have about 3-4 pairs of special edition White leather ones with different colour stripes… I can’t bring myself to wear any of them… it’s strange
    That is totally sad and ridiculous pal what you do with your Sambas - I love it though as it is exactly what I do with a pair of Pumas that I am particularly fond of

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)