+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Third anniversary approaching

O/T:- Third anniversary approaching

In January it will be three years since Brexit was "done." So far Britain has signed four new trade deals - one of which is with the EU on much poorer terms - New Zealand, Australia and Japan. Nothing with USA, India, China, Brazil etc. Or, of course, Russia.
    Listening to the Chancellor this morning, explaining why we will all soon be paying more taxes as the pound sinks and we go into recession, there is no mention of the Brexit impact.

I wonder when the Brexit Bounce is going to happen?

You just wouldn't let it lie. It's not like anything has got in the way of Brexit becoming successful. However, successful or not, it was a democratic vote and we should just move on. If you want something to be concerned about, think WEF.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    It's not like anything has got in the way of Brexit becoming successful. However, successful or not, it was a democratic vote and we should just move on.
    Make up all the excuses you like, but Brexit has been a disaster. Of the G7 countries, only one has an economy in a worse state than it was pre-Covid. That country is us. All 7 have had to cope with the effects of Covid and the Ukraine war, and the other 6 have all coped better than us. The two reasons we've done so badly are Brexit and an incompetent government.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    In January it will be three years since Brexit was "done." So far Britain has signed four new trade deals - one of which is with the EU on much poorer terms - New Zealand, Australia and Japan. Nothing with USA, India, China, Brazil etc. Or, of course, Russia.
    Listening to the Chancellor this morning, explaining why we will all soon be paying more taxes as the pound sinks and we go into recession, there is no mention of the Brexit impact.

I wonder when the Brexit Bounce is going to happen?
    Ask Jacob Rees-Mogg, He was the Brexit Opportunities man ..... can't remember one thing he was able to bring to the table.

Unless of course we think about taking back control - that's gone well!

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    You just wouldn't let it lie. It's not like anything has got in the way of Brexit becoming successful. However, successful or not, it was a democratic vote and we should just move on. If you want something to be concerned about, think WEF.
    'However, successful or not, it was a democratic vote and we should just move on.'

Can't read that anyway other than it hasn't been successful.

It's a bit like Liz Truss saying, 'I was elected democratically, however successful or not my plans for growth were, we should just move on'.

Sadly that's not possible ...... there's a multi-billion black hole to fill!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Make up all the excuses you like, but Brexit has been a disaster. Of the G7 countries, only one has an economy in a worse state than it was pre-Covid. That country is us. All 7 have had to cope with the effects of Covid and the Ukraine war, and the other 6 have all coped better than us. The two reasons we've done so badly are Brexit and an incompetent government.
    To be fair we haven't had the opportunity to see what competent government might have done.

It's abundantly clear it has been a massive act of self harm. What is deeply concerning is that politicians, commentators and the media are reluctant to question it. More recently, there have been a few more high profile people raising doubts, but it's almost as though we're happy to ignore it and pretend everything is rosy or blame other events.

I fully respect the democratic aspect, but does that mean we have to stick with it forever, regardless of the damage?

I'm also yet to hear anyone name a decent benefit other than intangible nonsense like 'we've taken back control'. Sorry, I forgot the escape signs in the Dartford tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    To be fair we haven't had the opportunity to see what competent government might have done.
    We might have a long wait for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Robertomac View Post
    It's abundantly clear it has been a massive act of self harm.
    Correct
    Except for the super-rich who avoided financial regulations

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast