+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Ex-Notts Player Signs For...

I think we are more likely to see more of the Williams / Maynard type signing across the game; Younger coaches who are trained as coaches rather than ex-players converting to managers. They bring different experiences and man management techniques to the table. I wonder if they bring an energy that ex-players don't too as they are new and hungry. I don't see why someone with good leadership skills, a good strategist and tactician can't be a good coach even if they are not from within the game, so I can see why we go for this type of coach as it is the modus operandi of our owners.

That's no judgement on any recent individual coach past or present.

It's all about the players (why should they escape any blame?) How many times have we seen a team (all teams not just us) playing without drive and commitment because the manager has said "BOO" to them? I appreciate there are managers and then there are "managers" but the players can make or break a manager and they know it.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    It's all about the players (why should they escape any blame?) How many times have we seen a team (all teams not just us) playing without drive and commitment because the manager has said "BOO" to them? I appreciate there are managers and then there are "managers" but the players can make or break a manager and they know it.
    Professional players will have all stood out as better than everybody else at every stage of their development, they're all good players, there's no such thing as a useless professional footballer if they're used and managed correctly. What players don't do is mould themselves into a team, which is what this game is - a team game. That's why the manager is the most important person in the club. If the players don't believe in or fully understand what the manager is trying to do, that's the managers fault for being unable to communicate, motivate, inspire and man manage a collective.
    Last edited by upthemaggies; 14-06-2024 at 12:03 PM.

Dan Gosling now part time coach at Watford and part time player at Westfield. Seems he realised during his time with us how far off it he was.

Sam Osborne joins Boston.

Haydn Hollis joins Tamworth. Montel Gibson joins Hereford.

Kane Hemmings joins Crewe.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Professional players will have all stood out as better than everybody else at every stage of their development, they're all good players, there's no such thing as a useless professional footballer if they're used and managed correctly. What players don't do is mould themselves into a team, which is what this game is - a team game. That's why the manager is the most important person in the club. If the players don't believe in or fully understand what the manager is trying to do, that's the managers fault for being unable to communicate, motivate, inspire and man manage a collective.
    Excellent point Upthemaggies, about players will have stood out at many stages in their development. A young player getting to a club academy is a real achievement, but the sad reality is most players will get discarded. By definition, talent is a pyramid with many at the bottom and a few at the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Man Utd have shown that you can spend more money on players than anybody else over several seasons, but if you don't have the right man in charge then you will still fail to reach your target.
    The season before last I was fed up of hearing Spurs fans griping, now they seem relatively content despite losing Kane because they have a manager they can all get behind.
    We literally need Maynard to be the next Allardyce, there's no other example of a Notts manager starting so badly and coming good. This game being what it is, you can't rule that out with certainty, but I think we got very lucky with LW and asking for lightning to strike twice in quick succession is a big ask of the gods.
    Thats a great post right there

Quote Originally Posted by irish_pie View Post
    Thats a great post right there
    Totally agree, great post.

Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast